Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Shogun is one of my favourite fighters but you have to be realistic.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
leejunfan777
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
If that helps you deal with the loss then that's alright

However, there is no actual way of knowing that. Maybe he would but If you put the Pride Shogun in with Jones I think you get the same result, he's just too big for Shogun.
also you have to account for the fact that mma has evolved, so "pride" shogun would be years behind in evolution.
So making those fantasy matchups is just silly
leejunfan777 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejunfan777 View Post
also you have to account for the fact that mma has evolved, so "pride" shogun would be years behind in evolution.
So making those fantasy matchups is just silly
Good point, guys are much well rounded these days and for the most part, more technical at least at the highest levels.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,170
vCash: 100
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Jesus give it a rest about ****ing Shogun already.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Why couldn't THIS Rua have showed up against Jones???!!!
The 2005 version of Shogun would obviously have given Jones much more trouble, he was much better than the current version of Shogun, this is too obvious.

This is nothing unique to Shogun of course, Wanderlei Silva and Quinton Jackson and Rodrigo Nogueira and BJ Penn and Matt Hughes and Fedor Emelianenko and pretty much every other fighter who has ever lived was a better fighter when they were younger, fresher, and closer to their physical primes.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Doesn't train the same
Too many injuries
Doesn't fight often enough
Not the fighter we thought he was
Can't handle the wrestling and physicality in America/UFC/West with the different ruleset/cage

One of or all of the above.

I loved Shogun but he cheated on me when he tapped to strikes.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

THAT Shogun wasn't hit with a flying knee by the biggest and strongest 205 lber I have ever seen with the longest reach in all MMA and the absolute sickest takedowns, wrestling and GNP within 2 seconds of the opening bell. THAT Shogun did turn up. Trouble is, so did Jon Jones.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
THAT Shogun wasn't hit with a flying knee by the biggest and strongest 205 lber I have ever seen with the longest reach in all MMA and the absolute sickest takedowns, wrestling and GNP within 2 seconds of the opening bell. THAT Shogun did turn up. Trouble is, so did Jon Jones.
...and the horrible Shogun we saw vs Forrest and Coleman?
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
...and the horrible Shogun we saw vs Forrest and Coleman?
You could make a video of Kimbo knocking out dudes in his back yard and ask 'Why didn't THIS Kimbo turn up to the UFC?' I don't know what to tell you. Maybe Forrest exploited his poor cardio and he had an off day against Coleman. It's all about styles and levels and Shogun never beats Jones, never ever, no way. Not then, not now, and not in the future.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
You could make a video of Kimbo knocking out dudes in his back yard and ask 'Why didn't THIS Kimbo turn up to the UFC?' I don't know what to tell you. Maybe Forrest exploited his poor cardio and he had an off day against Coleman. It's all about styles and levels and Shogun never beats Jones, never ever, no way. Not then, not now, and not in the future.
The example doesn't stick. It was clear that Shogun looked horrible and at 100% neither Forrest or Coleman last a round.

Shogun lost to Jones but there is clearly other issues going on.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #26
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
The example doesn't stick. It was clear that Shogun looked horrible and at 100% neither Forrest or Coleman last a round.

Shogun lost to Jones but there is clearly other issues going on.
You can say that about every single fighter that lost a fight. Get over it man, pull yourself together.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
You can say that about every single fighter that lost a fight. Get over it man, pull yourself together.
We have to be objective. I can't see you doing that. I understand you have built up resentment from people not giving Jones enough for his win.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
We have to be objective. I can't see you doing that. I understand you have built up resentment from people not giving Jones enough for his win.
Not at all mate. It's just a fact of life that the nature of combat sports means that guys look good when they win and bad when they lose. Watching a highlight video of a guy winning and looking good against other opponents means nothing.

If anyone is going to have resentment it isn't me. I like Jon Jones and am fairly happy with his career so far. Not a bad 2011 all things considered. I also like Shogun, but you know, being objective and all that, Jones ****ed him up real bad.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #29
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

jones isnt gonna get beaten until he gets hit with a h-bomb
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #30
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai-edy2007 View Post
jones isnt gonna get beaten until he gets hit with a h-bomb
I agree. The thing is, he aint gonna be hit with a h-bomb.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013