Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where have you gone Shogun!!

Healthy Shogun = Motivated BJ Penn = "The Old Vitor"
Thom is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #32
hammerofthor
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

the zab judah of MMA
hammerofthor is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It doesn't matter which version of Shogun turns up to fight Jones. If he gets hit with that knee 5 seconds into the fight, he gets a brutal ass-kicking from them on regardless of how old he is or how many surgeries he has or has not had.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #34
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
You can say that about every single fighter that lost a fight. Get over it man, pull yourself together.
Yes but he use to fight in Pride and if any former pride fighter loses people open the excuse book.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #35
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerofthor View Post
the zab judah of MMA
I would say he is the Mike Tyson of MMA.....amazing prime, great offensive skills with brutal wins, and then... suddenly.. wasn´t the same anymore...
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #36
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
I would say he is the Mike Tyson of MMA.....amazing prime, great offensive skills with brutal wins, and then... suddenly.. wasn´t the same anymore...

He might be more like the Mark McGwire of MMA........

Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

He might be more like the Mark McGwire of MMA........

Why ?
Who´s Mark McGuire ?
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #38
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

People are putting far too much expectation on Hendo beating Jones.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #39
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

There's no shame in losing to a fighter like Jones. I honestly can't see anyone beating him anytime soon at 205. Shogun is a legend as his performance against Hendo showed. I just luv how the best names arn't afraid to fight one another & make the big fights continually happen. Thats what i luv about MMA.
roscoe is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #40
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
There's no shame in losing to a fighter like Jones. I honestly can't see anyone beating him anytime soon at 205. Shogun is a legend as his performance against Hendo showed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
I just luv how the best names arn't afraid to fight one another & make the big fights continually happen. Thats what i luv about MMA.
I love that as well. That's what's turned me from a boxing fan to an MMA fan. I still prefer boxing as a sport, because I've been a fan since Tyson lost to Douglas (the first sporting event I can clearly remember), but it's impossible to properly follow boxing these days, or to introduce people to the sport.

MMA is very, VERY easy to get into, to follow and to get other people into. The best fight the best. The fans get to see the fights they want the most. Every card is full of 50/50 matchups, and there are bonuses worth tens of thousands of dollars for finishing or putting on exciting fights.

I mean, the Ali-Foreman-Frazier trinity is legendary in boxing, because all those guys fought each other. Foreman fought Frazier twice and Ali once, and Ali fought Frazier 3x. It's golden-era stuff.

But then you look over at the UFC, and you see GSP-Hughes-Penn. All first-ballot HOF fighters themselves.

GSP has fought Hughes 3x and Penn twice.

Penn fought GSP twice and Hughes 3x.

And Hughes fought GSP 3x and Penn 3x.

All of those fights meant something, all of them had serious title implications and none of them were cynical cash-grabs from big names who were past their prime and merely looking to cash in.

Plus each of those 3 guys, aside from the 5 or 6 fights they had against each other, also cleaned out a half-dozen or more other guys who were champions or top contenders.

You just don't get that kind of competition in boxing anymore. You do in MMA.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #41
Totomabs
Sauna Belt Holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

I love that as well. That's what's turned me from a boxing fan to an MMA fan. I still prefer boxing as a sport, because I've been a fan since Tyson lost to Douglas (the first sporting event I can clearly remember), but it's impossible to properly follow boxing these days, or to introduce people to the sport.

MMA is very, VERY easy to get into, to follow and to get other people into. The best fight the best. The fans get to see the fights they want the most. Every card is full of 50/50 matchups, and there are bonuses worth tens of thousands of dollars for finishing or putting on exciting fights.

I mean, the Ali-Foreman-Frazier trinity is legendary in boxing, because all those guys fought each other. Foreman fought Frazier twice and Ali once, and Ali fought Frazier 3x. It's golden-era stuff.

But then you look over at the UFC, and you see GSP-Hughes-Penn. All first-ballot HOF fighters themselves.

GSP has fought Hughes 3x and Penn twice.

Penn fought GSP twice and Hughes 3x.

And Hughes fought GSP 3x and Penn 3x.

All of those fights meant something, all of them had serious title implications and none of them were cynical cash-grabs from big names who were past their prime and merely looking to cash in.

Plus each of those 3 guys, aside from the 5 or 6 fights they had against each other, also cleaned out a half-dozen or more other guys who were champions or top contenders.

You just don't get that kind of competition in boxing anymore. You do in MMA.

well said...
Totomabs is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #42
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
...and the horrible Shogun we saw vs Forrest and Coleman?
It really is one of the strangest and most fascinating things about MMA, the number of people who continue to deny the simple, clear, irrefutable evidence that Shogun has often being out of shape and way below his best when returning from long lay-offs due to injury or surgery. Fascinating. I can never work out what the hell the motivation is to deny this patently obvious truth.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #43
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It doesn't matter which version of Shogun turns up to fight Jones. If he gets hit with that knee 5 seconds into the fight, he gets a brutal ass-kicking from them on regardless of how old he is or how many surgeries he has or has not had.

That kneee is the most overrated and overstated strike ever thrown in MMA. Look at the gif you just posted. The knee doesn't drop, stagger, or even seem to visibly wobble Shogun, and yet you and others pretend it left some massive effect, as to leave Rua a walking corpse for the rest of the fight. Unless you had some telepathic device which can read Shogun's mind and his nerve endings, the video evidence suggest you're talking utter shit. Don't argue with me, argue with the clip that YOU posted. Shogun can walk through fire, even when he is badly visibly hurt, and yet you (for some reason I don't understand) pretend he was devastated by a strike which had no visible effects whatsoever. Bizarre!
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #44
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
That kneee is the most overrated and overstated strike ever thrown in MMA. Look at the gif you just posted. The knee doesn't drop, stagger, or even seem to visibly wobble Shogun, and yet you and others pretend it left some massive effect, as to leave Rua a walking corpse for the rest of the fight. Unless you had some telepathic device which can read Shogun's mind and his nerve endings, the video evidence suggest you're talking utter shit. Don't argue with me, argue with the clip that YOU posted. Shogun can walk through fire, even when he is badly visibly hurt, and yet you (for some reason I don't understand) pretend he was devastated by a strike which had no visible effects whatsoever. Bizarre!

Jones said that right away after he landed the knee, he could see in Shogun's eyes that he was scrambled.

Shogun said that after the knee landed, he was scrambled.

Shogun's brother in the corner said that the knee ****ed him up.

Don't argue with me, argue with both the guys in the fight and also their cornermen.

You certainly can get hit in the head and hurt and physically knocked off your game without being actually knocked out or even badly staggered. Your reflexes and co-ordination aren't quite there. It's like you are competing while drunk, it's not unusual at all. Happens all the time to rugby league players. Cricketers get it FFS. And Shogun got a bad case of it. He didn't crumble immediately because he is an incredibly tough bastard with a system that was flooded with adrenaline from the start of the fight.

Seriously, have you ever played any kind of contact sport and taken a hard hit to the skull and carried on?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #45
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

healthy shogun, not healthy shogun excuses excuses! People on this forum need to shut the **** up i thought machida was gonna beat jones but now that he destroyed my boy im pretty certain that unless jones gets k.o'ed he will be the UFC LHW champ for a very long time. And no shogun will turn up and beat him i see jones elbowing the shit outta a healthy shogun whether it be in pride, ufc, dream or the WWE for ****s sake too many nuthuggers, need to face facts.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum