Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: The best HW after the dust settles?
(Assuming Cormier and Overeem win) Overeem beats Cormier and is #1 4 14.29%
(Assuming Cormier and Overeem win) Cormier beats Overeem and is #1 0 0%
(Assuming Cormier and Dos Santos win) Dos Santos beats Cormier and is #1 8 28.57%
(Assuming Cormier and Dos Santos win) Cormier beats Dos Santos and is #1 0 0%
(Assuming Barnett and Overeem win) Overeem beats Barnett and is #1 7 25.00%
(Assuming Barnett and Overeem win) Barnett beats Overeem and is #1 5 17.86%
(Assuming Barnett and Dos Santos win) Dos Santos beats Barnett and is #1 4 14.29%
(Assuming Barnett and Dos Santos win) Barnett beats Dos Santos and is #1 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32200
Default Dos Santos vs. Overeem winner against SF HW GP winner (Barnett vs. Cormier) = #1?

So, it should go without saying that the winner of the UFC champion and # contender Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem this summer and the winner of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Final between Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier on March 3rd will be the two best heavyweights in MMA. The winner of a match-up between those two would have to be THE undisputed HW champion of the sport...maybe its first ever.

So who would it be?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Dos Santos vs. Overeem winner against SF HWGP winner (Barnett vs. Cormier) = #1?

I want to vote, but I can't. Haven't seen Cornier at all, have seen Overeem in 3 fights and Barnett in one. Junior I have seen and want to vote for, but it would only be because he's the one I've seen the most and I like him.

But I'd welcome the chance to see them all mixing it up with each other. A tournament-style setup of four good contenders is always interesting.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32200
Default Re: Dos Santos vs. Overeem winner against SF HWGP winner (Barnett vs. Cormier) = #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I want to vote, but I can't. Haven't seen Cornier at all, have seen Overeem in 3 fights and Barnett in one. Junior I have seen and want to vote for, but it would only be because he's the one I've seen the most and I like him.

But I'd welcome the chance to see them all mixing it up with each other. A tournament-style setup of four good contenders is always interesting.

In this case, by the end of 2012 it could be much better than a mere culling of contenders - it could (and probably will) be Champion vs. Champion to determine THE undisputed champion of the entire sport.

My personal opinion is that it will wind up being Overeem vs. Barnett. With all due respect to Cormire's wrestling and Dos Santos' striking, I just don't think they're on the level of those two.

That one is really tough to pick.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Chempasillo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 322
Default Re: Dos Santos vs. Overeem winner against SF HW GP winner (Barnett vs. Cormier) = #1?

overeem wins it all to sum it up
Chempasillo is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
In this case, by the end of 2012 it could be much better than a mere culling of contenders - it could (and probably will) be Champion vs. Champion to determine THE undisputed champion of the entire sport.

I have actually seen Barnett against Cro Cop, but I didn't recall it was him because was an opponent I didn't know much about. And I've seen a few highlight videos involving him.

Quote:
My personal opinion is that it will wind up being Overeem vs. Barnett. With all due respect to Cormire's wrestling and Dos Santos' striking, I just don't think they're on the level of those two.

That one is really tough to pick.
I think they should all be good fights because there is something big on the line here. The path to any of the four of them being near-universally hailed as the best in the world is very clear-cut. And whoever of them comes out on top is going to become a very wealthy man indeed. Especially if he can keep his streak going for a couple more fights.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out, because I have confidence that these fights will be made. And the final will be an American versus a foreigner. I'm excited for these guys to come over to the UFC, because the UFC needs a stacked heavyweight division in the immediate post-Lesnar era.

By the time it's halfway done I reckon that Cain Velasquez will be kicking down doors wanting to get in on the action though. I don't see him as a guy who is going to stop being a beast and a winner just because JDS landed a bomb and one-shot KOed him a minute into his first fight in more than a year.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #6
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449
Default Re: Dos Santos vs. Overeem winner against SF HW GP winner (Barnett vs. Cormier) = #1?

Overeem Vs Barnett. The Reem takes it... but only just!

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
zarman

vCash:

Barnett IF the UFC sign him
Old 01-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
So, it should go without saying that the winner of the UFC champion and # contender Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem this summer and the winner of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Final between Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier on March 3rd will be the two best heavyweights in MMA. The winner of a match-up between those two would have to be THE undisputed HW champion of the sport...maybe its first ever.

So who would it be?
I strongly believe Dos Santos beats Overeem by KO.

I am really not sure at all who wins between Cormier and Barnett. I have always liked Barnett as a fighter and I think he could do some real damage in the UFC, but stylistically I think Cormier is a bad matchup for him, what with his excellent wrestling pedigree and really good boxing for MMA. Reluctantly, I feel I have to go with a Cormier win.

Then I think Cigano beats Cormier.

JDS is the #1 heavyweight in the world.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Black2023
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

overeem is the strikeforce and lineal champion and dos santos the ufc champion.

that determines who the main man is.
Black2023 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

I think we're in for a few surprises. Overeem JDS is a genuine 50/50 fight. Likewise so is Cormier Barnett. Very tough to pick a winner out of those 4.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
I think we're in for a few surprises. Overeem JDS is a genuine 50/50 fight.
I think so as well. One of those fights where both guys look awesome and you can easily see either of them knocking the shit out of anybody.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

I think there will be a definate #1 HW this year and I'm assuming the Barnett-Cormier winner will face the winner because nobody else stands out right now anyhow as the next contender. And SF is abolishing it's hw division anyhow so it looks like there will be a clear #1 .
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
I think there will be a definate #1 HW this year and I'm assuming the Barnett-Cormier winner will face the winner because nobody else stands out right now anyhow as the next contender. And SF is abolishing it's hw division anyhow so it looks like there will be a clear #1 .
Yeah its the most logical fight to make and if promoted right it could be massive, particularly if Barnett beats Cormier as his Pro-Wrestling style promos would attract a lot of casual fans if he is given a big platform to convey it. I've no idea who wins though.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I think so as well. One of those fights where both guys look awesome and you can easily see either of them knocking the shit out of anybody.

JDS yes. Overeem no. Personally i think Overeems last 3 years have flattered him immensely and he's going to get found out in the UFC. His chin has never been great and his CV has always been pretty poor. At 263lbs of insane musculature he's going to have a hard time going 3 rounds let alone 5. Plus with a chin that's never been sturdy he's a punch a way from being KO'ed.
I like Overeem and im a big fan of his but his flaws are very apparent. Problem is with Overeem riding the crest of a wave i don't think he cares much for that as all he wants is the money. Against a hungrier guy like JDS that doesnt bode well.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
JDS yes. Overeem no. Personally i think Overeems last 3 years have flattered him immensely and he's going to get found out in the UFC. His chin has never been great and his CV has always been pretty poor. At 263lbs of insane musculature he's going to have a hard time going 3 rounds let alone 5. Plus with a chin that's never been sturdy he's a punch a way from being KO'ed.
I like Overeem and im a big fan of his but his flaws are very apparent. Problem is with Overeem riding the crest of a wave i don't think he cares much for that as all he wants is the money. Against a hungrier guy like JDS that doesnt bode well.
I didn't say he would reign for years. I said that if it's his night he will put anyone away, JDS included. From what I've seen, I back Junior to win about six-seven fights out of ten between them.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum