Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default How much would a win over Jon Jones do for JDS or another heavyweight's legacy?

If Jones moves up without losing his LHW belt, challenges JDS or whoever the champ is and gets turned away with a decisive loss, how big a win is that for the HW champ?

A massive victory, a very good victory, or merely an expected result?

If Jones vs JDS was signed right now for an April fight, would that become Junior's best win?

And will a 2013 Jon Jones with six or seven title defenses under his belt be considered a better win than any HW contender would be?

Discuss.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: How much would a win over Jon Jones do for JDS or another heavyweight's legacy?

He wouldnt go straight into a title shot. He'd have to test the waters. Then we'd know how good a win by the current HW champ would be
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Default Re: How much would a win over Jon Jones do for JDS or another heavyweight's legacy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
He wouldnt go straight into a title shot. He'd have to test the waters. Then we'd know how good a win by the current HW champ would be
I don't see why he would have to test the waters. There's no doubt at all that he can get big enough for the division. And he's a dominant champion already, which gives him instant cred. So if he's still got the belt when he moves up then it would be about as legit a champion vs champion matchup as you could get. Certainly more so than GSP-Silva would be.

I don't see any need for Jones to fight a Mir type before he challenges for the title.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Give the guy some time, he is still young and some more defenses against solid fighters like Hendo and Rashad/Davis winner will do him good. Anderson jumped and Fought Irvin and Forrest so I don't see why when/if Jones jumped up he shouldn't get a fight against a top guy instead of going right to a title shot.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
Give the guy some time, he is still young and some more defenses against solid fighters like Hendo and Rashad/Davis winner will do him good. Anderson jumped and Fought Irvin and Forrest so I don't see why when/if Jones jumped up he shouldn't get a fight against a top guy instead of going right to a title shot.
I'm not demanding that he do it. I'd like to see him build a resume at LHW that makes him indisputably the division's #1 ATG. PRIDE Wanderlei included. He's got the quality of opposition available to be able to do that.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I don't see why he would have to test the waters. There's no doubt at all that he can get big enough for the division. And he's a dominant champion already, which gives him instant cred. So if he's still got the belt when he moves up then it would be about as legit a champion vs champion matchup as you could get. Certainly more so than GSP-Silva would be.

I don't see any need for Jones to fight a Mir type before he challenges for the title.

Well theres no way of saying how big a clear win over a newly HW Jones would be. The only way would be to to test the waters. If he dont test the waters, then your question cant be answered at that point
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd like to see him move up toward the end of this year, or the start of next year. Similar to what Anderson did. Just start with a fight against a Schaub or a Rothwell, someone of that ilk. Someone like Struve would be interesting to see, if a bit of a freakshow. Then maybe someone like Mir or Velasquez. Bigfoot could be a very interesting fight.

It all depends how the fights go down. If he's pushing their shit in the way he's been doing to the 205s then he'd definitely be a quality name on the resume of JDS and other top heavies.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Anarchy99
Babalu will KILL You!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 441

Feed him to Mir.. As much slack as ima catch for this, I think Mir beats Jones.
Anarchy99 is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99 View Post
Feed him to Mir.. As much slack as ima catch for this, I think Mir beats Jones.
How?
Primate is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Anarchy99
Babalu will KILL You!
ESB Senior Member

Sub.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Sub.
How exactly would the fight get to the ground?
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

It would be a massive victory for any HW if JJ cleaned out the LHW division.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Anarchy99
Babalu will KILL You!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
How exactly would the fight get to the ground?
Jones loves taking guys down and hammering elbows..Mir's guard is a dangerous place.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Tuffnutz
ESB 2002 Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Mir beat Jones?

Jones would Vera Mir.

Jones could take the titles from both Overeem and JDS in his next fight's back to back, and that's with him weighing in at 205.

No man on earth can beat Bones imo.
Tuffnutz is offline  Top
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Jones loves taking guys down and hammering elbows..Mir's guard is a dangerous place.
Except the two guys he's faced who have posed a submission risk (Shogun and Machida) he's been by no means keen to take him down. If you pose a submission threat to Jones he's not taking you down unless you're besting him in the standup. After Mir's recent displays I strongly doubt that would happen.
Will Cooling is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum