Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Davey Moore - What did he have...

Going for him? Anyone have any insight?

His career started out damn fast, looking over his record. Packed a lot into 18 fights.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Davey Moore - What did he have...

Nice young fighter, but was he fortunate or unfortunate to have won that title so early? He was a top amateur winning 4 Golden Gloves among numerous other highlights. He was maybe underdog in all his defenses except ironically Duran. I'm pretty sure Weir and Kalule at the least were favoured over him. The trouble with being champ so early was that he never had the opportunity to develop and improve against lesser opposition and was still green and inexperienced at the time Duran ravaged him. Now i think about it he reminds me of Saad a little tho he obviously didn't reach those heights. He took a lot of punishment in his three defenses before coming back to outlast his opponent. Duran slaughtered him, and his corner and the ref allowed the fight to go on miles too long. I don't think he was ever the same again. He had good power, good speed, a few skills and excellent durability. Brought up in a perfect envoirenment i'm sure he would have ended up a better fighter again.

On a sad note as he opened his garage door to go out his car rolled back and pinned him against the door, with him dying at the scene. A terrible tragedy for a very fine young man from al accounts.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Ah, christ.

Is that why his career was so short? Did he retire or was he killed before he could fight again?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Ah, christ.

Is that why his career was so short? Did he retire or was he killed before he could fight again?
He didn't retire that i know of.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Ah, christ.

I'll never forget his fight with Aquino on the undercard of Hagler-Leonard. His career seemed to be over right there. Stopped while on his feet. Davey had so much courage. Aquino opened up on him in spurts, his eye closed shut and that finished him.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Going for him? Anyone have any insight?

His career started out damn fast, looking over his record. Packed a lot into 18 fights.
Definitely a talented fighter, though as mentioned winning the title early hurt him, and probably never got over the Duran loss.I could see him beating Ayala, maybe Curry, and giving Hearns problems, especially if he caught him.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #7
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

The Davey Moore story is a ****ing tragedy all the way around. It is an example of boxing at its worst. Duran should have been disqualified for elbows, head buts, and knees, but the ref never even warned him. If the ref didn't have the balls to dq duran he should have at least stopped the fight WAY before he did. Moore never really recovered.

Moore faced Duran in only his 13th pro fight. At a time when any respectable manager would have had him fighting tomato cans in poduck mississippi the ****ing loon that managed moore put one of the most dangerous men on the planet in front of him. Moore had all the earmarks of a great fighter, but instead we got a tragedy. Leon Washington should have been hung up by his pecker,and left for the bugs to devour!

Boo

Last edited by Gor; 12-02-2006 at 02:02 AM.
booradley is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Davey Moore had good power and pretty quick hands.Not to mention the fact that he had a huge heart and a great chin.

Should have never fought Duran.His handlers were worried about making money not about Moore's career.Also before the Duran bout Moore had surgery at the dentist office for an impacted wisdom tooth I believe.

Its a shame he gets overlooked because I tell you he could fight.
He would have been a handful for most jr.middleweights.

And i gotta say I don't think Tony Ayayla would have beaten him.Moore had a proven chin and heart to go along with his worldclass power.Nobody knew how Ayayla would have reacted in a toe to toe battle.
Cobra33 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum