Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #61
JoeAverage
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pound for Pound Top 100 Active List

Finally a top 100 list that makes sense.

These are difficult to make but this is probably the best I have seen in several years.
JoeAverage is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #62
evilsherwin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

How do you have fmj number 1 after sucker punching his way to victory in his last fight? pac also dominated mosely more than fmj did, dominated margarito ,clottey, cotto and destroyed hatton in 2 rounds.
evilsherwin is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #63
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
Finally a top 100 list that makes sense.

These are difficult to make but this is probably the best I have seen in several years.
Bookmark it. I'd like your input.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #64
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilsherwin View Post
How do you have fmj number 1 after sucker punching his way to victory in his last fight? pac also dominated mosely more than fmj did, dominated margarito ,clottey, cotto and destroyed hatton in 2 rounds.

I guess its trough the official victory and thats it... because we all know JMM whooped and beat pacquiao outboxed his iq non existant brain into submission and had a peanut trying to think to much...

We all know JMM is rightfully the #2, and the real WW champ MOTHER****ERS!
Doc is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #65
evilsherwin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I guess its trough the official victory and thats it... because we all know JMM whooped and beat pacquiao outboxed his iq non existant brain into submission and had a peanut trying to think to much...

We all know JMM is rightfully the #2, and the real WW champ MOTHER****ERS!
but didnt pacquioa also win officially

jmm performed better than what 90% of ppl thought pre fight. but i wouldnt call it a whooping when you get out landed and and not one of the judges gave him the nod ahead of pac.

and what does jmm gta to do wit my questioning of.the number 1 spot? How do you rank someone higher who fights once a year and have an inferior resume? I dont understand how The number 1 guy is at the top when he suckerpunched his way to his last win?
evilsherwin is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #66
seansanashee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

where is special K
seansanashee is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #67
garfios
Dark Lord
ESB Addict

vCash: 540

I'll say if you have Molina on that list, Lara should b there too along with Hernandez that just beat USS twice, considered the best CW and of course Rigondeaux, but maybe I'm a little biased.
garfios is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #68
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfios View Post
I'll say if you have Molina on that list, Lara should b there too along with Hernandez that just beat USS twice, considered the best CW and of course Rigondeaux, but maybe I'm a little biased.
They are all there.

Lara is one spot behind Molina (in the low 70's). Although I believe Lara is the better fighter, I thought Molina bossed him around in their fight, and therefore can't rank Lara ahead.

Rigondeaux leaped up to #71 based on his destruction of Rico Ramos. Ramos was #78, so to replace him at that spot would not be a stretch. Considering what I value to be his talent and skillset, I thought #71 was a good placement considering his professional record is limited.

YPH is in the low 30's. Although I don't like his chances against any of the top CW's out there, no way I can rate a lineal champion lower than where I do, especially when Cunningham was ranked around there going into their first fight.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #69
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Up this Saturday:
#33 Huck vs. #53 Povetkin
#87 Cleverly vs. Karpency
#30 Maidana vs. #50 Alexander
#75 Broner vs. Perez

My picks are gonna be:
Povetkin TKO 9
Cleverly UD
Maidana TKO 8
Broner KO 4
Results:
Povetkin MD
Cleverly UD
Alexander UD
Broner KO 4

How it changes the list...

-Huck maintains his placement. Due to Maidana lowering, Huck actually raises up from #33 to #32.
-Povetkin moves up from #53 to #51.
-Maidana moves down from #30 to #50.
-Alexander moves up from #50 to #42.
-Broner moves up from #75 to #66.
-Cleverly moves up from #87 to #85.

Huck stays due to his impressive performance while outweighed against the third best HW in his debut fight there. It was a good feat, and his fight moving up in weight doesn't belong lower in the P4P ranking than the new cruiserweight king YP Hernandez, one position below. Many people thought he won by a slim margin, as well, which I honor and respect despite scoring it a draw and not liking Hucks' repeated use of the forearm to the back of the neck and straight chopping right hand combination. An argument could be made that he could rise in the rankings some. I doubt many would say that, it seems since I've been on ESB that most didn't think too highly of Huck for some reason. His resume is solid.

Povetkin, on the other hand, doesn't look impressive in his fight. However, I scored and viewed the fight even on many levels. While I do think Hucks' right hand bombs were impressive at times, I too think Povetkins' quick combinations and sustained body attack have gone unnoticed. Povetkin moves up above Nietes and Erdei based on the good activity and, although he was the clear favorite heading in, a good match up against good opposition. Huck, even in his heavyweight debut, is a good fight. Hopefully Povetkins' new defensive philosophy of bending his back to duck low doesn't stick around.

Maidana moves down to Alexanders' old spot. He looked really, really over-matched in there. Being out of his weight class for the first time, it doesn't hurt him too badly and won't be as negatively impacting to his career/legacy in the long run should he return to past form. His performance does show that I likely overrated him, based on his lofty ranking going into the Alexander showdown.

Alexander justifies his previous position and raises some. He passes ahead of Ortiz, Soto, and Arce among a few others on the grounds of his resume. He is a former unified champ with opposition in recent years that dwarfs many of those on this list. Maidana was ranked high enough to vault Alexander higher, theoretically, but the fact that the 4th and 5th best JWW's were facing off at WW takes some of the juice out of the fight compared to if it were a JWW fight, obviously.

Broner moves up quite a bit. I could see this as being controversial to some, but I will explain my feelings about it. Compared to the guys ranked directly above him in Lara, Molina, Darchinyan, and Rigondeaux, there is a whole lot of inexperience with thin resumes and a shallow best win (Darchinyan aside, who is where he is from most recently falling down the list). The others he leapfrogged include the duo of Sturm and Macklin, one who has looked bad in his last two and the other who has only looked real good twice. Poonsawat is still idle in terms of fighting someone who will raise his stock. Kirkland is still fresh off of a streak of inactivity and a horrible defeat. There is no reason for Broner not to be ahead of them. Jason Litzau had made this list, I want to say into the 60's, before their fight on the strength of his win over Caballero. The bottom line is that the the Litzau KO1 got Broner on this list. The early knockouts of Rodriguez for vacant WBO title and Eloy Perez have rightfully propelled him to his current spot. Perez was a consensus top 10 @ 130.

Cleverly moves up past Roman Martinez and Sithsamerchai based on showcasing his skill set and activity. As little as it might mean at times, he swept the cards in a title defense.

Last edited by Nonito Smoak; 02-27-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: lil extra on Huck!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #70
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1171

Molina and Viloria too low, Campillo possibly too.
Faerun is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #71
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

fail @ #1
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #72
the commentator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

what the heck..ill just pretend I didnt see koki at number 22...
the commentator is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #73
TheRoadWarrior4
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2000

Looks good, although I think Lucas Matthyse should be moved up about 50 spots.
TheRoadWarrior4 is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #74
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

Great list , but wouldn't have Anthony mundine in there , would have Daniel geale, the current ibf champ , even tho mundine beat him it was ordered as a nc and a re match was ordered mundine vacated rather than fight him...
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #75
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerun View Post
Molina and Viloria too low, Campillo possibly too.
I understand that. It's not as though Viloria has consistently been dominant, though. Plus, as much as I value the Segura win, it was Segura's third or so real fight at flyweight. I have him #17 and am pretty sure everyone above him deserves to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
fail @ #1
What about the rest of the list, not just the one guy you fantasize about?

I think most would disagree with you.

If I wanted to lose credibility and have the thread get a whole bunch of angry and questioning responses, I'd flip #1 and #2 like you'd recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the commentator View Post
what the heck..ill just pretend I didnt see koki at number 22...
I've explained my view of Koki at #22 before.

To sum it up again:
-Kameda has an "A" grade victory over Daisuke Naito at flyweight. That win is better than the best win a lot of the guys around him have, including Gamboa.
-Should he have lost tons of respect for losing in a somewhat close fight with legendary flyweight Wonjongkam at flyweight? I didn't think so, therefore he didn't lose too much respect from me for that, his only defeat (the de la Mora fight is debatable).
-He leaped two divisions from fly to bantam and picked up a phony belt (Moreno is the real WBA), however, the Munoz win off the bat is no small win. He looked dominant in the Diaz and Macias title defenses, although the opposition allowed for it.
-He picked up a vacant WBA title at junior flyweight and re-matched for his one defense there. So, although two of the title might be bogus with no lineage, he is a 3 division champion.

Like everything else, it's all opinion. I am not sure how much lower one might drop Koki, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior4 View Post
Looks good, although I think Lucas Matthyse should be moved up about 50 spots.
Although it may sound stupid and VERY contradictory of me to say this: I beyond see that. Based on my list though, I can't raise him. His entire career lies on the controversial L's to Zab and Devon. I scored the fights for Zab by 1 point and Matthysse by 1 point, respectively. That plus the Corley beatdown and the well known completely bogus stoppage of Vivian Harris. Matthysse passes the eyeball test and his perceived talent (by me too) outweighs what he has actually done, in my opinion. Besides, there is no way Matthysse "got robbed" in either of his defeats. They were very close fights which, as a whole he looked better than his opponent, but round by round scoring, were dead even fights.

He will have the chance to rise highly should he beat Soto in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie opinion View Post
Great list , but wouldn't have Anthony mundine in there , would have Daniel geale, the current ibf champ , even tho mundine beat him it was ordered as a nc and a re match was ordered mundine vacated rather than fight him...
I have Geale in the mid 50's. I think highly of him, and see him on paper as the most impressive fight for Sergio at Middleweight.

And, as much as I dislike Mundine, he does deserve to be on the very low end of a top 100. He has strung together decent wins along with impressive jumps among the weight divisions from 168 to 154 pounds.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum