Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Dave Sands
Ebony & Ivory :)

vCash: 1000
Default Drews threw fight! Green Bought title.

Say no more .Just watch the damn farce of a fight.
How can Green be proud of that shit?
The real Lt Heavy champ,Chad Dawson would destroy Green if they ever got in the ring together.
Dave Sands is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Machine
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Drews threw fight! Green Bought title.

Drews got stung early and didn't want any more to do with it. He got tagged and shaken up in each of the early rounds. I agree that it was a piss weak effort from Drews, he should have gone down fighting rather than giving up. But you've got to give credit where credit is due. The reason he gave up was because Green was landing on him and was clearly too much for him. I agree that the slickness of Dawson would trouble Green.
Machine is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Yeah, Green should have just handed the belt back to Drews and asked him for a rematch - how Green could have been happy with winning a genuine WBA world champ belt is beyond me

On the other hand, I thought Paul Briggs' comments that Mundine's opponent in the first mandatory defence of his regular WBA title (the belt that he once shed tears over after beating Antwun Echols for the vacant version of it) was "dogging it" were totally uncalled for - as "The Man" himself said after struggling with Clavero for 4 rounds "He's a tough opponent, just ask Briggsy"
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
Yeah, Green should have just handed the belt back to Drews and asked him for a rematch - how Green could have been happy with winning a genuine WBA world champ belt is beyond me

On the other hand, I thought Paul Briggs' comments that Mundine's opponent in the first mandatory defence of his regular WBA title (the belt that he once shed tears over after beating Antwun Echols for the vacant version of it) was "dogging it" were totally uncalled for - as "The Man" himself said after struggling with Clavero for 4 rounds "He's a tough opponent, just ask Briggsy"
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

I doubt Green was involved with any match fixing. Drews may have thrown it, I'm not convinced he did though, but I wouldn't rule it out.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

I have heard Drews has retired - I don't know if that's true or not, but it would appear he accepted Green's offer to defend his title in Perth for the money (probably a career-high payday for Drews), and Green cannot be held responsible for Drews not turning up.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
I doubt Green was involved with any match fixing. Drews may have thrown it, I'm not convinced he did though, but I wouldn't rule it out.
I'm not making any further comments on Green until he defends against a worthy opponent in his nxt fight
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 11:28 PM   #8
sambo1987
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Drews may have thrown it, but green showed up on the night ready to fight and for peole to blame him for his opponents piss weak effort is straight up ridiculous. If Drews didn't run all night he would have got ktfo. Sure he was gutless, but how is this greens fault?
sambo1987 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo1987
Drews may have thrown it, but green showed up on the night ready to fight and for peole to blame him for his opponents piss weak effort is straight up ridiculous. If Drews didn't run all night he would have got ktfo. Sure he was gutless, but how is this greens fault?
Exactly mate.
I dont see how Drews running or being gutless should reflect bad on Greens part.
Green was there to do his job & get the job done which he sure did.
Green showed power & Drews shat & went into a shell.

Should Green fight Garay next, he is a legitimate top 10-12 contender not some bum.
So if he wins that comprehensively he will push towards top 5 at Light Heavyweight & hopefully earn the respect of some keyboard warriors who continually diss him.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
Green cannot be held responsible for Drews not turning up.
Unless it was pre-arranged or pre-discussed that Drews was retiring and if he agreed to lose, the money they offered him would be bigger...

(but probably backfired somewhat as they didnt expect Drews to do absolutely nothing).
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #11
CarltonBlues
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Green came to fight, the giraffe didn't. Talk about fight fixing though I'm realy sus about Chock's next fight against in his own words 'his mate'. I buy all Mundine PPVs because I'm an addict and I want to support Aussie boxing but this fight doesn't sit right with me. For some reason I picture a 12 round sparring session, I'm not paying $50 for that.
CarltonBlues is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #12
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonBlues
Green came to fight, the giraffe didn't. Talk about fight fixing though I'm realy sus about Chock's next fight against in his own words 'his mate'. I buy all Mundine PPVs because I'm an addict and I want to support Aussie boxing but this fight doesn't sit right with me. For some reason I picture a 12 round sparring session, I'm not paying $50 for that.
Totally agree there mate.

He couldnt make it look any more sus if he tried.

Its very likely Hamden is in financial strife, so Mundine said "fight me - I'll get some more $$, and you'll get yourself out of strife - its a win/win".

Mundine wont want to knock Hamden out, and if he does makes sure representatives from the Academy Awards are watching.
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #13
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I dont know enough about Drews but his record speaks for itself with about 35 fights only getting beat once or twice.

The drews that fought Green was running fom the start and was ready and in great position to throw counter punches when Green missed but threw nothing.

Drews never even threw a real jab....everybody knows that the best defence is a great offence

Drews averaged about 8 punches per round.....maybe in his contract with Green he was not allowed to hit him.

At least Mundines taxi drivers and road sweepers try to fight....that was just plain rigged
ashley is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 01:20 AM   #14
Sapphire
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think its abit unfair to say that the fight was rigged. I think Drews knew he would get KO'd if he traded with Danny Green. Drews was just waiting for Green to loose his cool and do something stupid like the old Danny Green would have done but it never come.
Sapphire is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 01:34 AM   #15
CarltonBlues
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley
I dont know enough about Drews but his record speaks for itself with about 35 fights only getting beat once or twice.

The drews that fought Green was running fom the start and was ready and in great position to throw counter punches when Green missed but threw nothing.

Drews never even threw a real jab....everybody knows that the best defence is a great offence

Drews averaged about 8 punches per round.....maybe in his contract with Green he was not allowed to hit him.

At least Mundines taxi drivers and road sweepers try to fight....that was just plain rigged
Was the Briggs fight rigged too? The man just doesn't have the heart to fight guys with Green or Briggs power.
CarltonBlues is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum