Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
fantaheed
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: North East of England boxing thread!

It's a genuine shame/concern that Jeffries and Dickinson especially have been so inactive as this could have been built up into a great domestic clash for the north east. There just doesn't seem to be any shows up here anymore
fantaheed is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Takes this long for Billy Hardy to get a mention?
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
Keep an eye on Glen Foot, for me he is the best prospect from the area and by the end of the year he should be hovering around the British title level.

I imagine a few amateurs will turn this year, I expect either Baister or Vallily to turn or both depending if either qualify for the Olympics.

I also suspect Lawrence Osueke will turn over if he isn't given his chance to qualify, he is a brilliant boxer who I expect to do very well and has done brilliant as an amateur consider he's only been boxing three years and in that time has won the ABA's and earned a place on the GB team (I think he's ranked no1 LHW).

Last time I spoke to Jeff Saunders he said he was turning over at the end of this season to join his brother and Henry Thomas will probably turn pro at the same time. Thomas is a brilliant amateur with a record of something like 60-5, he is the only British boxer to win an American Golden gloves championship when he was entered after going to spar with the Magdelano brothers. This is his first year as a senior so it will be interesting to see how he does in the ABA's.

I reckon both Dickinson's will get domestic level title shots in 2012 (either British or English). I also have a feeling Jeffries will retire this year, no particular reason but he has only fought twice in a year and a half, has no fight scheduled and i'm not sure his heart is in the sport anymore.

Ones to watch out for on the amateur scene in the next couple of years are:

Tom Ward
Pat McCormack
Luke McCormack
Michael Watson
Mo Waqas
Isaac Macleod
Jake Slater
Calum French
Danny Phillips
I don't know about that Chatty,he's a good prospect but i don't know if he can get close to British Title level that quick.
He needs to stay out of trouble,he's just narrowly escaped a spell in the clink for an assault charge,which has set him back a bit.
Lets hope he can knuckle down because he certainly has got a bit of potential.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I rate Travis Dickinson. The lad is a good puncher and has a fair amount of ability.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceferg View Post
Thanks for the comment Chatty. No one knows more about the local sceane than you.
So how good's Glenn Foot then? I heard he was lucky to escape jail after beating that bouncer. My mate fougt Thomas too got stopped in the 3rd.
Glenn is a really good boxer but tends to like to brawl a lot as well which he is just as good at to be fair. He was unlucky not to win the ABA's having been in the final four times where the O Shaunessy fight could have gone either way and they reckon he won two of the other three finals.

He has had the beating of everyone in the area such as Falaja, Buckley, Dickson. I think the only lad he didn't fight was Saunders and they have sparred a few times which I would have liked to have watched.

I was at the show when he fought the bouncer, was talking to him about five mins before it happened but didn't really see anything cause I was off taking photos. I've heard a few stories from both sides of the coin and it's probably somewhere in the middle. If he keeps his head down he should fare well at domestic/European level and hopefully he'll go on to bigger things. Only time will tell.

Thomas has pretty much cleaned up from Minor level to Junior level winning just about everything you can and more (US GG) so no shame in your mate losing to him. It'll be interesting to see how he fares this season as a senior when he has to face more experienced lads but he seems to have the tools to do well. I have no idea who is planning on turning with whether he keeps Andy Marksby on (who is an excellent coach) or goes elsewhere - probably Marsden like the majority of Darlington lads.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #21
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k. View Post
I don't know about that Chatty,he's a good prospect but i don't know if he can get close to British Title level that quick.
He needs to stay out of trouble,he's just narrowly escaped a spell in the clink for an assault charge,which has set him back a bit.
Lets hope he can knuckle down because he certainly has got a bit of potential.
I don't see why not, he had 130+ amateur bouts at International level and made 4 ABA finals boxing a lot of top lads. He has had 6 pro bouts already and an active year should see him to about the ten mark. he needs to step up his opposition soon but I see no reason why he can't be around the top five-ten mark by the end of 2012.

Can't say how he'll get on outside the ring but he has always been a sound lad when I've spoke with him but I've heard he has got into a few scrapes from other people. Maybe's this served as a good warning for him to get his head down.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

This is a post I made over two years ago on here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Just wondering what everyone's top 10 fighters are from their regions. Obviously some regions are going to have better fighters than others, but it would be nice to see who people rate from their region

North-East (based on future potential):

1. Travis Dickinson - I rate him very highly, although not many others do...yet Fast hands, good power, physical advantages (6'4" at Light-Heavy) and he is still only 21. Beat Groves twice in the amateurs (he stopped him in one of the wins as well) and I think he has the potential to go far.

2. Tony Jeffries - Another good prospect, good jab and power, just needs to work on other areas of his game, mainly to stay composed! Has the popularity to become a superstar in the North-East (he has already won the North-East Sports Personality of the Year Award!), which should make the big fights happen - maybe even against Dickinson in a couple of years time

3. David Dolan - Good domestic level fighter. If he beats Norton then he can rule the dire domestic cruiserweight scene for a good couple of years.

4. Stuart Hall - Looked impressive in his last fight. Started the pro game at a late age, but should be a challenger against the top domestic fighters.

5. Paul Truscott - Put up a great battle in his two losses to Simpson, but he is still young and he certainly can come back. Cuts are an issue though, especially under British rules.

6. Nigel Wright - A test for any fighter at domestic level, may have lost some desire though.

7. Michael Hunter - Was a very good fighter a few years back, but does he have it anymore? Outclassed by Booth last time out.

8. Bob Ajisafe - Seems to be a future stepping stone for the 'better' prospects in the division (Bellew, Dickinson, Jeffries etc.). Still has plenty of time on his side to improve though.

9. Chris Burton - Decent heavyweight who could be in the mix with the other future top domestic heavys, but he is too inactive!

10. Jon Lewis Dickinson - Due to the dire state of the cruiserweight division he could be in the mix in a couple years time, although I think he has looked pretty poor so far. He is young so he could improve...I hope.

fighters that missed out: Dave Ferguson (average), Craig Denton (haven't seen him fight), Danny Hughes (good power, poor shape for a heavy - needs to lose some weight, but does have potential, still young) and Paul Holborn (I thought he lost his last fight quite clearly, don't see him going too far).

Got a couple of fighters who I think can go beyond domestic level coming through, although the North-East isn't exactly packed with talent right now!
Obviously my opinion has changed somewhat, but I don't think I was too far off with my predictions for most of the guys I listed. The main change in my opinion is for both the Dickinson brothers; I think I overrated Travis (I still rate him, mind), whilst I underrated Jon-Lewis.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Oh, and it was good to see Chris Burton return recently. If he can make cruiserweight comfortably (his weight in his last fight suggests he can), then he can be a force domestically for sure.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #24
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648

Fantaheed - I see Travis and John Lewis when I train down Birtly with the college. They seem like they're in great nick, never speak to them tho.
I hope Foot does well too, we have a lot of talent up here that doesn't get promoted properly in the pro's. It's a shame about Jefferies but in all fairness he put a lot of years into the sport.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #25
stephen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 331

glenn foots a good boxer his gonna do well in the pros

Last edited by stephen; 01-17-2012 at 07:57 AM.
stephen is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
This is a post I made over two years ago on here:

Obviously my opinion has changed somewhat, but I don't think I was too far off with my predictions for most of the guys I listed. The main change in my opinion is for both the Dickinson brothers; I think I overrated Travis (I still rate him, mind), whilst I underrated Jon-Lewis.
I think mine now would be:

1) Stuart Hall - former Brit champ, won Lonsdale outright, lost to MacDonnell in a good fight which he put a good showing.

2) Nigel Wright -won English title outright and no contender for Theopanes British title, seasoned vet who's been in with a lot of top boxers and been pretty consistant throughout his career.

3+4) Travis and Jon Lewis Dickinson - at about the same level, both won Prizefighter and are looking up for a title shot in the near future.

5) Martin Ward - looking up the rankings and came back well from a nasty KO, beat Ian Napa last year to push his name up a bit and has been steady since, needs more contenders matches this year.

6) Paul Truscott - went under the radar a bit but has been more active of late, as above needs more contenders matches this year.

7) Danny Hughes - competed twice in Prizefighter losing to eventual winners Harrison and Sprott despite being a relative novice. On the border of a top ten ranking, needs to kick on this year.

Glen Foot - had six fights, unbeaten and looking good so far, an experienced top flight amateur with a lot of pro style tools.

9) Chris Burton - could be a lot higher in the list but has had a couple of years off. Now back and could do well as a Cruiser or look to work way up heavy rankings.

10) Tony Jeffries - injuries and inactivity have hindered him in the last two years, needs a big year this year.

Outsiders

Bradley Saunders - Olympian and top amateur yet to make debut

Kirk Goodings - unbeaten in six but was caught up in promotional wrangle, now with allegedly.

Mark Clauzel - top amateur and an unbeaten British and European kickboxing champion, made an impressive return to pro career last year.

David Dolan - would be much further up the list but Ive heard reports he has retired by good sources.

Jonson McLumpha, Peter Cope, Gary Fox, Neil Hepper, Paul Archer, Robert Dixon - novices
chatty is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #27
fantaheed
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceferg View Post
Fantaheed - I see Travis and John Lewis when I train down Birtly with the college. They seem like they're in great nick, never speak to them tho.
I hope Foot does well too, we have a lot of talent up here that doesn't get promoted properly in the pro's. It's a shame about Jefferies but in all fairness he put a lot of years into the sport.
Good to hear. I like travis seen him fight live a few times and he had great attributes and if matched well he will have a good future just what to see more of him, I thought prizefighter would of been the catalyst but not yet. Jon Lewis is a decent fighter in a poor division so hopefully he can get a British title.

Only seen foot once he looks good and very strong and is in a division that is gonna open up domestically when he is at title level.

Jaffa is an enigma and infuriating to watch as he has the tools but he struggles badly with his range and needs to throw more bodyshots and combinations of more than 2 shots.

Just hoping for some good shows and title fights in the north east as 2011 was a massive letdown
fantaheed is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
I think mine now would be:

1) Stuart Hall - former Brit champ, won Lonsdale outright, lost to MacDonnell in a good fight which he put a good showing.

2) Nigel Wright -won English title outright and no contender for Theopanes British title, seasoned vet who's been in with a lot of top boxers and been pretty consistant throughout his career.

3+4) Travis and Jon Lewis Dickinson - at about the same level, both won Prizefighter and are looking up for a title shot in the near future.

5) Martin Ward - looking up the rankings and came back well from a nasty KO, beat Ian Napa last year to push his name up a bit and has been steady since, needs more contenders matches this year.

6) Paul Truscott - went under the radar a bit but has been more active of late, as above needs more contenders matches this year.

7) Danny Hughes - competed twice in Prizefighter losing to eventual winners Harrison and Sprott despite being a relative novice. On the border of a top ten ranking, needs to kick on this year.

Glen Foot - had six fights, unbeaten and looking good so far, an experienced top flight amateur with a lot of pro style tools.

9) Chris Burton - could be a lot higher in the list but has had a couple of years off. Now back and could do well as a Cruiser or look to work way up heavy rankings.

10) Tony Jeffries - injuries and inactivity have hindered him in the last two years, needs a big year this year.

Outsiders

Bradley Saunders - Olympian and top amateur yet to make debut

Kirk Goodings - unbeaten in six but was caught up in promotional wrangle, now with allegedly.

Mark Clauzel - top amateur and an unbeaten British and European kickboxing champion, made an impressive return to pro career last year.

David Dolan - would be much further up the list but Ive heard reports he has retired by good sources.

Jonson McLumpha, Peter Cope, Gary Fox, Neil Hepper, Paul Archer, Robert Dixon - novices
Should not be in this thread

Stockton/Middlesbrough is Yorkshire
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
Should not be in this thread

Stockton/Middlesbrough is Yorkshire
**** off!
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #30
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
**** off!
Smoggies v Leeds is more of a derby than Sunderland v Smog You know it!
Lilo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum