Draw 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Hector Camacho vs. Oscar De La Hoya @ 135

How does the young, ultra-fast, Camacho of the mid 80s fare against the bigger, more powerful, somewhat green De La Hoya of 1995 at 135 lbs?
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Greco
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Hector Camacho vs. Oscar De La Hoya @ 135

the young focused De La Hoya was one of the best fighters ever. I think that Camacho wins one or two of the early rounds, but as De La Hoya steps it up he lands on Camacho more frequently resulting in a mid rounds stoppage.
Greco is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Wiirdo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 564

DLH by UD with a couple of issues with Camacho's speed.
Wiirdo is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

DLH UD/ Late stoppage.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
TommyToughNuts
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Camacho by either a lopsided UD or he takes out the chinny Oscar late in the fight. Oscar was put down by less inferior competition throughout his career.
TommyToughNuts is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
ocelot
Champion
East Side Guru

DLH's jab would have kept Camacho out of range and he would have pounded him with the hook. DLH by tko.
ocelot is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyToughNuts View Post
Camacho by either a lopsided UD or he takes out the chinny Oscar late in the fight. Oscar was put down by less inferior competition throughout his career.

Pretty interesting fight...A focused Camacho would give anyone the fits with his ATG speed at this weight.

Oscar was a wrecking ball at 135 but I think he did benefit from smaller opposition who were on their way out or chinny.

When he stepped up a little against Molina, he wasnt as impressive. Underrated win that, JJ was a good fighter but he really was a superfeather who gave up some serious physical advantages.

I just cant help but think Oscar would after some early difficulty do a Chapo on Hec and send him into ***** mode ..I think Rosario hit a lil bit harder but Oscar is right up there with him for one punch KO power, his speed helped him out in this regard.

Even if Hec pushed him close in a defensive, tactical fight no way would the judges give it to him over Oscar whose ineffective flurries would bank close rounds for him like they always did. Hec would have to really take this fight away from DLH.
That being said I dont think Hoya lets it get that close anyway and would pound out a deserved decision, missing heaps and looking bad in the process..dropping some rounds here and there but getting by Camacho more often than not.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

DLH by UD. Just not anywhere as lopsided as their 1997 ecounter.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Well, no one is getting knocked out in this one. Have to go with Rock on this one.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict

It was at 147 but it already happened, an easy win for Oscar.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE6ktM_YteE[/ame]
Flexb is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexb View Post
It was at 147 but it already happened, an easy win for Oscar.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I'm assuming the TS knows that, which is why a different and more interesting scenario was offered.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
the young focused De La Hoya was one of the best fighters ever. I think that Camacho wins one or two of the early rounds, but as De La Hoya steps it up he lands on Camacho more frequently resulting in a mid rounds stoppage.
While I agree that DLH would be handful for anyone at 135, Camacho was 10x better than anyone Golden Boy faced at 135. Also keep in mind that Oscar couldn't KO Camacho when he was 10 years past his prime. Prime Camacho wins by UD 4-5 times out of 10, with the other 5-6 results being a SD for either guy. Just watch film on The Machoman at 135 before making any premature analysis. Trust me, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Thing about Hec is that he looked all kinds of brilliant against a certain level of fighter..so brilliant that he often looked a lot better in beating that level of a fighter than the other top fighters around the time did. But when he stepped it up he had trouble replicating that form.

The gulf in speed for this one is no where near what it usually was for Hec..He is in against a physically bigger fighter and a bonafide knockout puncher. He would have to take risks to win this one, he would have to fight the full 3 mins and at times stand his ground and tough it out..I just dont see Hec doing it, he never really showed me that his mental and tactical game was on par with his athletic and physical gifts.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post

Pretty interesting fight...A focused Camacho would give anyone the fits with his ATG speed at this weight.

Oscar was a wrecking ball at 135 but I think he did benefit from smaller opposition who were on their way out or chinny.

When he stepped up a little against Molina, he wasnt as impressive. Underrated win that, JJ was a good fighter but he really was a superfeather who gave up some serious physical advantages.

I just cant help but think Oscar would after some early difficulty do a Chapo on Hec and send him into ***** mode ..I think Rosario hit a lil bit harder but Oscar is right up there with him for one punch KO power, his speed helped him out in this regard.

Even if Hec pushed him close in a defensive, tactical fight no way would the judges give it to him over Oscar whose ineffective flurries would bank close rounds for him like they always did. Hec would have to really take this fight away from DLH.
That being said I dont think Hoya lets it get that close anyway and would pound out a deserved decision, missing heaps and looking bad in the process..dropping some rounds here and there but getting by Camacho more often than not.
Nice analysis. I also get a feeling that after giving DLH problems early on, Camacho would get tagged with some hard shots, and go into survival mode.

As uber-talented as Camacho was, I have a tough time confidently picking him in mythical matchups against really good fighters who'd tag him, because I can see Camacho just shelling out and looking to hear the final bell.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
Gonzarelli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
While I agree that DLH would be handful for anyone at 135, Camacho was 10x better than anyone Golden Boy faced at 135. Also keep in mind that Oscar couldn't KO Camacho when he was 10 years past his prime. Prime Camacho wins by UD 4-5 times out of 10, with the other 5-6 results being a SD for either guy. Just watch film on The Machoman at 135 before making any premature analysis. Trust me, you'll see what I'm talking about.
And who did Camacho beat at 135 that was better than DLH
Gonzarelli is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum