Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #46
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Otuo Saba. Real deal or hype job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
@Strike- That's also a very good point, it's why the mitts could sometimes be smoke and mirrors.
The system is legit but there is NO reason for any trainer to move his hands as much as trainers do now adays. If the fighter has a sharp or powerful shot then yes you can move it a little to take the pop off of it. Pads can **** up your hands and multiple times I've been left with ripped forearms that take a few days to recover. Nevertheless, guys who do this are 100% smoke and mirrors.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #47
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

some great posts in here. one thing being overlooked which is a positive of pads is a good padman moves backwards during a combination so the oxer has to reset his feet and move with the opadman to land his punches.

i know if i get cracked with a good shot there is little chance i am still going to be in the same position for the next to land. im going to be bobbing, slipping or stepping off at an angle so punches 2 and 3 miss. a good padman can replicate this to a certain extent and a heavy bag doesnt move the same way.

padwrk should also only ever be 3 punches max in my opinion as no one is throwing and landing a 6 punch combo against a capable opponent. so anymore than 3 isnt realistic.

when im training i am always looking for decent boxers to do drills with. this isnt encouraged by any of the gyms i have trained at, purely by me.

so for example we would 1 jabs the other counters for a couple of rounds before swapping

then 2 rounds of 1 throwing a 1-2, other countering then swop around

then a couple of rounds of body sparring whilst keeping a realistic guard

then a couple rounds of working in real close one attacking, one defending and countering

couple rounds left hand only

couplke right hand only

this form of training i improved more in 3 or 4 months doing this as often as possible as i did in the pevious 4 years of on and off boxing training. it is the way forward.

and kids dont shadow box enough whilst thinking about what they are doing.

andre ward would warm up with 15 rounds of shadow boxing whilst concentraing intently and working moves....
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #48
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Sadly, the modern boxer is all about show and tell. Its all about talking a tough fight, keeping the 0, media workouts, being a celebrity etc You can see it in the heavyweights who somehow convince themselves they are legit contenders, bottle it come fight time and clearly didn't train a bit.

Back in the day, boxers were professional. They fought the best, they kept busy, they stayed in shape and knew their trade. Less talk, more action.

I love hype but boxers today are largely style and no substance.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #49
Fitzgerald90
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Sadly, the modern boxer is all about show and tell. Its all about talking a tough fight, keeping the 0, media workouts, being a celebrity etc You can see it in the heavyweights who somehow convince themselves they are legit contenders, bottle it come fight time and clearly didn't train a bit.

Back in the day, boxers were professional. They fought the best, they kept busy, they stayed in shape and knew their trade. Less talk, more action.

I love hype but boxers today are largely style and no substance.

what a post
Fitzgerald90 is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #50
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post
some great posts in here. one thing being overlooked which is a positive of pads is a good padman moves backwards during a combination so the oxer has to reset his feet and move with the opadman to land his punches.

i know if i get cracked with a good shot there is little chance i am still going to be in the same position for the next to land. im going to be bobbing, slipping or stepping off at an angle so punches 2 and 3 miss. a good padman can replicate this to a certain extent and a heavy bag doesnt move the same way.

padwrk should also only ever be 3 punches max in my opinion as no one is throwing and landing a 6 punch combo against a capable opponent. so anymore than 3 isnt realistic.

when im training i am always looking for decent boxers to do drills with. this isnt encouraged by any of the gyms i have trained at, purely by me.

so for example we would 1 jabs the other counters for a couple of rounds before swapping

then a couple rounds of working in real close one attacking, one defending and countering

couplke right hand only

this form of training i improved more in 3 or 4 months doing this as often as possible as i did in the pevious 4 years of on and off boxing training. it is the way forward.

andre ward would warm up with 15 rounds of shadow boxing whilst concentraing intently and working moves....
Brilliant post mate

BTW i spoke to a lad who's been around this kid and he said he's not that good. Trained in same gym as him as well and has no reason to talk kid down.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #51
Fitzgerald90
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

looks good on pads but fighting skill is not brilliant and that shows because if he was the talked up hype job he was meant to be he would of fought archie sharpe after he beats delroy spencer on his debut youll ave to hear even more crap.
Fitzgerald90 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #52
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

What do people make of the medicine ball? something that also seems to be fading out.

All this would make for a good thread, btw. Where we can put all our technical opinions and philosophies in. Could call it 'the all things technical thread'.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #53
izmat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Nothing wrong with pad training. It's a decent tool for training and like any other training tool it has it's limitations. The coach and fighter need to have an understanding of what they are trying to gain from the pad training. Look at Freddie Roach on the mitts with Pacman working on the move that KO'd Hatton!
izmat is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #54
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
What do people make of the medicine ball? something that also seems to be fading out.

All this would make for a good thread, btw. Where we can put all our technical opinions and philosophies in. Could call it 'the all things technical thread'.
Pretty sure Floyd Mayweather Sr uses it. Think he threw it Hattons stomach a few times.

I am all for nutrition and some plyometrics but I'll argue until I'm blue in the face about the fundamentals that are tried and tested.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #55
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Yep. The Mayweathers still use it, but it is pretty much fading out. More for health reasons than anything. If not used correctly the medicine ball can do some damage to your liver and cause a floating liver. Some docs would probably advice against it. I don't know. I think it's useful and can toughen that abdominal part of a fighters body up, so they become resistant to body punches around the solar plexus. The mistake some people make is they work it around the sides and hammer their fighters on the kidneys. They also lie down on the floor. Old timers would have it thrown at them standing up.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #56
Jimjom
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Pretty sure Floyd Mayweather Sr uses it. Think he threw it Hattons stomach a few times.

I am all for nutrition and some plyometrics but I'll argue until I'm blue in the face about the fundamentals that are tried and tested.
same, if it was good enough for the greats who fought more often, against the best over a longer distance its good enough full stop
Jimjom is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #57
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

It's like any tool. It has to be used correctly. In most gyms it's not even used anymore which is a shame really. The fighters of yesteryear had some of the hardest stomachs in history and it was mainly due to the medicine ball. Todays fighters are lucky as well because it's been improved immeasurebly so there should be no excuse for not using it. Believe or not fighters back in the day sometimes had to use an old basketball type of thing filled with sand, placed in a gunnysack and then rapped with tape. You can see why body punches where nothing to them after a week or two of letting that thing pound their stomach.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #58
TheGaut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post

couplke right hand only

superb post, same here, I would spar about 16 rounds a week and I would improve at a slow pace. However, a new coach had the exact training routine you've just described, for example, one round we were allowed to use only 3 right hands, which forces you to start really thinking about how you're going to set them up.

Same for defence, one throws and one counters. And eventually these exercises would lead to full on sparring.

Not enough gyms do this these days.
TheGaut is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #59
sadlittleboy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He recently did an interview with Ringnews24 ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) Gotta be honest I don't see anything special in what I've seen of him...his amateur credentials seem awful and the whole "no one would fight me" thing sounds a bit bull crappish (especially considering what was said early in this thread)
sadlittleboy is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #60
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

I just read on another forum he hasn't fought since 15, and i know he only spars once a week or something?. This could be really embarrassing to watch if they match him tough early.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum