Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
uranage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Trainer thinks Guerrero is a THREAT to Mayweather

Recent interview on the scene of boxing

A mega-fight between welterweights Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is still nowhere near a done deal for May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. I went to see world renowned trainer Kenny Adams and he weighed in on who he thought would be a better matchup for Mayweather, between Robert Guerrero and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, the two boxers who continue challenge Floyd for the May date. Here’s what he had to say.

BS: Do you think Robert Guerrero can be competitive with Floyd Mayweather?

Kenny Adams: Yeah I know he can. I think the matchup is a good matchup and it’s a very competitive fight with Guerrero without a doubt.

BS: How do you see Floyd vs. Canelo as opposed to Guerrero?

Kenny Adams: I can see Floyd picking him apart more because of the inexperience factor, that’s my opinion anyway. With someone that gives him different looks how would he accept it and being how young he is, how will he deal with the explosiveness and speed that Floyd possesses. My thinking is that he’s hasn’t reached the point where he can be competitive with a guy like Floyd.

BS: If you had a choice to pick one of the two fighters to see Floyd fight on Cinco de Mayo who would it be, Guerrero or Canelo?

Kenny Adams: If I had my preference I’d rather see Floyd fight Guerrero, because it would be a more competitive fight with Guerrero. It’s a better matchup because Guerrero’s got more experience. Plus you got the strength of a full grown man with Guerrero as opposed to Canelo who’s just a kid, and that makes a big difference. And that’s coming from one of the top trainers in boxing.
uranage is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
theflyest
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Trainer thinks Guerrero is a THREAT to Mayweather

the same Kenny adams who had Kirkland looking like shit from those bullshit workouts
theflyest is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
J_Grizzy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sure he'd be a mild threat. He's already jumped weight classes effectively, why can't he be effective enough at 147 to pose a threat. His skills and ability are good enough to threaten anyone between 130-147.
J_Grizzy is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1666

It will be competitive in two years
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Good for him.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
uranage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

here an exceprt from an interview on another site -

SC - Lastly what do you think of Floyd Mayweather's recent comments of him not really knowing who you are as a fighter? How are you going to convince him and his camp to take this fight with you? You will have to move up a few weight classes, and if this happens what will this mean to you?

RG - You know that's a lot of nonsense hearing those comments what Floyd Mayweather said that he doesn't know who I am. I mean, I've been on co features with Floyd Mayweather and my name appears in newspapers. Floyd Mayweather is pound for pound the best fighter in the world. He's undefeated 42-0, and the reason he's undefeated is that he knows everyone. He does his homework. Nothing gets by him. He sticks to his game plan and that's the reason why he's undefeated. I mean all the credentials are there to make a mega fight. I have a tremendous story outside the ring with my wife. I want to capture the world championship to protect her and also for the Mexican Americans. It could be a mega fight and if HBO 24/7 get’s hold of it, it's going to be an incredible event. So it comes down to whether Floyd Mayweather wants to fight me or not.

ropeadoperadio
uranage is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum