boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-28-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default GSP's worldclass camp vs. Hughes' scrub camp (VIDS)

GSP's:
BORKED

Hughes':
BORKED

So GSP is training with the Canadian wrestling national champion and sparring with Joachim Alcine the super welterweight WBA champion.
While Hughes is training with........his hick buddys from high school in a basketball court with wrestling mats laid down and seemingly no sparring.

Okay, yeah, Hughes, as I predicted is gonna get mushed.

Last edited by Dostoevsky; 12-28-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Default Re: GSP's worldclass camp vs. Hughes' scrub camp (VIDS)

Hughes kind of reminds me of Ken Shamrock in that he won't really evolve with the sport. He thinks he needs to step his style up to the next level but not evolve his style. IMHO
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I just think GSP trains way smarter than anyone in the game right now. Hughes ****ing around with his widdle bawsing coatch, while GSP is sparring with Alcine.

Night and day difference there.. Guys might show up in the same shape.. But talk about taking your training to the next level.. GSP doesn't **** around..

On the other hand.. Guys like Fedor take on a training regiment that seems to be more similar to that of Hughes.. Hasn't done him any wrong.. Thing is I think the background of Sambo translates to MMA all by itself, and better than any combat discipline.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa
I just think GSP trains way smarter than anyone in the game right now. Hughes ****ing around with his widdle bawsing coatch, while GSP is sparring with Alcine.

Night and day difference there.. Guys might show up in the same shape.. But talk about taking your training to the next level.. GSP doesn't **** around..

On the other hand.. Guys like Fedor take on a training regiment that seems to be more similar to that of Hughes.. Hasn't done him any wrong.. Thing is I think the background of Sambo translates to MMA all by itself, and better than any combat discipline.
With your fedor ****ogy, who , if anyone is the GSP of Fedor's weight class? In terms of taking their game to that level and being that rounded.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrtfo
With your fedor ****ogy, who , if anyone is the GSP of Fedor's weight class? In terms of taking their game to that level and being that rounded.
Good point.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Even though part of me wants to say "Hughes won X number of fights in a row and was as dominant as anyone, so he must know what he's doing", I don't think this is the same routine that he did back then. Leaving the Militich gym before he retired for good (or even has his gym built for christsake) was a really dumb move. When I see this seemingly low level of training for what may be his last shot at the title I can only think that he was planning on an easy fight with Serra and only took the GSP III fight because he felt he'd look like a coward otherwise. If this was how he always trained I'd say that it must work well for him and he has as good a chance as he always did, but it doesn't look like much is the same for him at all. GSP wins again.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm
Even though part of me wants to say "Hughes won X number of fights in a row and was as dominant as anyone, so he must know what he's doing", I don't think this is the same routine that he did back then. Leaving the Militich gym before he retired for good (or even has his gym built for christsake) was a really dumb move. When I see this seemingly low level of training for what may be his last shot at the title I can only think that he was planning on an easy fight with Serra and only took the GSP III fight because he felt he'd look like a coward otherwise. If this was how he always trained I'd say that it must work well for him and he has as good a chance as he always did, but it doesn't look like much is the same for him at all. GSP wins again.
Off topic but I am getting hyped to train by watching that GSP video!!!!

My current gym is militich "certified" or whatever. Basically, we are trained in the "militich" fighting sysltem, whatever the hell that means.
If you sign up to a certain program, you get a free week at the real militich camp. I intend on going there in year or so.

Our grappling team is bad ass too, that's us in 1st place. Beating many gracy academies. I am at the right place. If I don't accomlish anything it's because of my lack of effort.

2004 RATED Overall Season Team Champions:

1st Place: Team Lloyd Irvin - 12,310 points

2nd Place: Team Renzo Gracie - 11,980 points

3rd Place: Balance Studios/Relson Gracie - 9,810 points

4th Place: Cobra Kai/Marc Laimon - 7,830 points

5th Place: Yamasaki Jiu Jitsu - 7,170 points

6th Place: Jackson's GaidoJitsu - 7,120 points

7th Place: Machado/Tai Kai/Mica Las Vegas - 7,010 points

8th Place Las Vegas Combat Club - 6,640 points

9th Place: Royler Gracie/Dave Adiv USA - 6,270 points

10th Place: Nova Uniao/J-Sect Academy - 5,980 points
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrtfo
Off topic but I am getting hyped to train by watching that GSP video!!!!

My current gym is militich "certified" or whatever. Basically, we are trained in the "militich" fighting sysltem, whatever the hell that means.
If you sign up to a certain program, you get a free week at the real militich camp. I intend on going there in year or so.

Our grappling team is bad ass too, that's us in 1st place. Beating many gracy academies. I am at the right place. If I don't accomlish anything it's because of my lack of effort.

2004 RATED Overall Season Team Champions:

1st Place: Team Lloyd Irvin - 12,310 points

2nd Place: Team Renzo Gracie - 11,980 points

3rd Place: Balance Studios/Relson Gracie - 9,810 points

4th Place: Cobra Kai/Marc Laimon - 7,830 points

5th Place: Yamasaki Jiu Jitsu - 7,170 points

6th Place: Jackson's GaidoJitsu - 7,120 points

7th Place: Machado/Tai Kai/Mica Las Vegas - 7,010 points

8th Place Las Vegas Combat Club - 6,640 points

9th Place: Royler Gracie/Dave Adiv USA - 6,270 points

10th Place: Nova Uniao/J-Sect Academy - 5,980 points
I've always been curious about what MFS really was; is it a martial art from the top down with it's own theory that permeates everything, or is it just a specific set of techniques from a dozen other mas that Militich thought worked well together? If you get some sense of it after you go there, it'd be cool to make a thread about it.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Great to see GSP train with the best striking and grappling fighters his country has to offer.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm
I've always been curious about what MFS really was; is it a martial art from the top down with it's own theory that permeates everything, or is it just a specific set of techniques from a dozen other mas that Militich thought worked well together? If you get some sense of it after you go there, it'd be cool to make a thread about it.
I have been taking mostly the Muay Thai classes there. Once I get more involved in the MMA classes I'll do the thread.
Or I may just ask the owner/instructor.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

GSP is a beast, and he is obviously very smart when it comes to training. However, I think that Hughes is doing the right thing for himself. He sure as hell isn't going to get good enough on his feet to stand and trade with GSP, no matter who he trained with for this fight... Hughes DOES NEED TO KEEP IT BASIC AND SIMPLE! That is the only way that Hughes will beat GSP this time out. Doing what he does best... going for the takedown, and controlling him on the ground.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR
GSP is a beast, and he is obviously very smart when it comes to training. However, I think that Hughes is doing the right thing for himself. He sure as hell isn't going to get good enough on his feet to stand and trade with GSP, no matter who he trained with for this fight... Hughes DOES NEED TO KEEP IT BASIC AND SIMPLE! That is the only way that Hughes will beat GSP this time out. Doing what he does best... going for the takedown, and controlling him on the ground.
I'd agree with you if he was keeping it simple at Militich where he could do that with loads of other top of the food chain fighters. I don't know who he has on the basketball court, but I doubt they're the caliber of guys that he used to train with.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

But has Hughes been surpassed by GSP in wrestling?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
On the front page of UFC, watch the GSP vs Hughes press conference. The reason why GSP was training so hard was because he is training for the Olympic trials in wrestling!
He has been training with the Canadian national team for a couple of years, they thought he was so good that they recommended he should give it a go!

GSP is becoming something else, the man is a monster, I would not be surprised in the least to find out that he thoroughly outwrestles Hughes in their fight. GSP is that good.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
But has Hughes been surpassed by GSP in wrestling?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
On the front page of UFC, watch the GSP vs Hughes press conference. The reason why GSP was training so hard was because he is training for the Olympic trials in wrestling!
He has been training with the Canadian national team for a couple of years, they thought he was so good that they recommended he should give it a go!

GSP is becoming something else, the man is a monster, I would not be surprised in the least to find out that he thoroughly outwrestles Hughes in their fight. GSP is that good.
Who knows... I don't think that Hughes is a great wreestler anyways. He is a very good one, but not even close to being the best wrestler in his own weight division. However, Hughes does have a good mix of wrestling, with his JJ which is very underrated. Hughes seems like a good scrambler, so... either way, his best chance is getting this fight to the ground, and trying to improve to a better, or dominant position which ever way he lands.

GSP may have improved his takedowns to be better than Hughes, or his top control, ect... but one thing that only comes after years and years of wrestling is great transitions and countering. It is in the transitions that Hughes will have to find his success.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #15
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Jesus...

Those are the same guys Hughes has trained his entire career with, the same guys he would be training with at MFS. He's always worked with Pena and Fiore.

The only guy that isn't there is Jeremy Horn, who hasn't been around for a while anyway since he moved to Utah, plus Matt's a top of the foodchain grappler now anyway.

GSP is doing his fight prep at Jackson's in New Mexico, don't know when this was filmed.
Beebs is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum