Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Straight Shoota
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Back...Way Backkkkk
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Default 'Superman' St Clair

What happened to Gary 'Superman' St Clair?
One of the slickest boxer you could find,world champion..then suddenly just seemed to die in the ass,big time,at the end of his career.
Straight Shoota is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Shoota View Post
What happened to Gary 'Superman' St Clair?
One of the slickest boxer you could find,world champion..then suddenly just seemed to die in the ass,big time,at the end of his career.
When he was recently fighting up at Junior Middleweight i think we all knew his time was up.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,948
vCash: 2746
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

I thought the exact same mate. One minute he was in fox regularly looking spectacular with JL. Then after his title win and lose he seemed to fade quickly. He never took any bad punishment because of his fast feet and head movement.

I think the Willie kickett fight was the begining of the end even though it was close. He may have had enough
StiffJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,615
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Shoota View Post
What happened to Gary 'Superman' St Clair?
One of the slickest boxer you could find,world champion..then suddenly just seemed to die in the ass,big time,at the end of his career.


What do you mean "what happened to him". He got old thats what happened to him. He is now completely washed up and has just been fighting for pay cheques and stupid weight classes to put a notch on other fighters records.

Tomorrow you will probably start a thread "What ever happened to Mike Tyson".

Make a bit more effort and use some thought with your next thread and people might consider taking you seriously on here.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post


What do you mean "what happened to him". He got old thats what happened to him. He is now completely washed up and has just been fighting for pay cheques and stupid weight classes to put a notch on other fighters records.

Tomorrow you will probably start a thread "What ever happened to Mike Tyson".

Make a bit more effort and use some thought with your next thread and people might consider taking you seriously on here.

Gotta agree here. Its no secret what happened to gairy.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: dunno..where am i???
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post


What do you mean "what happened to him". He got old thats what happened to him. He is now completely washed up and has just been fighting for pay cheques and stupid weight classes to put a notch on other fighters records.

Tomorrow you will probably start a thread "What ever happened to Mike Tyson".

Make a bit more effort and use some thought with your next thread and people might consider taking you seriously on here.
calm down. it was a legit question. id been wondering the same thing just never bothered to put it to the board
rusty nails is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,631
vCash: 166
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

I think he only fought Waters as a favour because the card was about to fall to pieces...Pretty sure he is a trainer now.

He had a career he can be very proud of.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Straight Shoota
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Back...Way Backkkkk
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post


What do you mean "what happened to him". He got old thats what happened to him. He is now completely washed up and has just been fighting for pay cheques and stupid weight classes to put a notch on other fighters records.

Tomorrow you will probably start a thread "What ever happened to Mike Tyson".

Make a bit more effort and use some thought with your next thread and people might consider taking you seriously on here.
Firstly ****wit,I dont give a shit who takes who seriously on here.ITS A FORUM U IDIOT.Again you have missed the point with a uneducated answer,why? BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BOXING.Obviously most boxers will go down hill with age,thats OBVIOUS.But if you knew boxing and understood the type of boxer gary was,slick,fast,footwork etc you would know its not a case of 'getting old over night'.
Now go drink yourself another batch of haterade
Straight Shoota is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Straight Shoota
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Back...Way Backkkkk
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
Gotta agree here. Its no secret what happened to gairy.
With other people suggesting the same,Obviously it was 'no secret'
Straight Shoota is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Shoota View Post
With other people suggesting the same,Obviously it was 'no secret'
And you accuse others of not knowing the sport?

fighters who rely on refexes and slickness find themselves doing it tough when those attributes leave them. It happens. In actual fact, those are the fighters who get more exposed, as they rely on it so much. Gairy was never a puncher, power is the last thing to leave a fighter. So your point about being surprised about gairy losing his slickness and reflexes is

Oh, it probably didnt help that gairy ballooned up in weight and fought as high as 154. Thats after winning titles and having his best years as a featherweight. See what happens is....when
you put on that much weight and you are a little guy...the speed, reflexes and slickness is compromised. Imagine that?

Oh btw...gairy was getting on a bit. He's 37 yrs old now. He fought amcouple of years ago...getting old after a long career in the fight game sometimes means
you lose speed of feet and hand and the reflexes arent what they use to be.

Yep, no doubt gairys demise was a real head shaker. Its got boxing folk baffled.

Last edited by perfect jet; 02-02-2012 at 07:45 PM.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Straight Shoota
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Back...Way Backkkkk
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
And you accuse others of not knowing the sport?

fighters who rely on refexes and slickness find themselves doing it tough when those attributes leave them. It happens. In actual fact, those are the fighters who get more exposed, as they rely on it so much. Gairy was never a puncher, power is the last thing to leave a fighter. So your point about being surprised about gairy losing his slickness and reflexes is

Oh, it probably didnt help that gairy ballooned up in weight and fought as high as 154. Thats after winning titles and having his best years as a featherweight. See what happens is....when
you put on that much weight and you are a little guy...the speed, reflexes and slickness is compromised. Imagine that?

Oh btw...gairy was getting on a bit. He's 37 yrs old now. He fought amcouple of years ago...getting old after a long career in the fight game sometimes means
you lose speed of feet and hand and the reflexes arent what they use to be.

Yep, no doubt gairys demise was a real head shaker. Its got boxing folk baffled.
What a ****wit LOL..Im guessing you didn't read my above post..i know all of what your saying champion..But from a world champ to a stepping stone...easily in the space of a 1-2 year gap..big difference to age catching up with you,loosing speed etc etc...as i posted above"Obviously most boxers will go down hill with age,thats OBVIOUS"..
Straight Shoota is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
whopperdong
"sorry dan, im the man"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Irnbru "just cuts" woman - "geale wins on points - sd"
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 397
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

he had a sick d game.
whopperdong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,948
vCash: 2746
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopperdong View Post
he had a sick d game.
yeah brah
StiffJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Shoota View Post
What a ****wit LOL..Im guessing you didn't read my above post..i know all of what your saying champion..But from a world champ to a stepping stone...easily in the space of a 1-2 year gap..big difference to age catching up with you,loosing speed etc etc...as i posted above"Obviously most boxers will go down hill with age,thats OBVIOUS"..
Ok, let me break it down further for the dummy.

When gairy won a world title, he was 32 yrs old and had about 43 fights. Were you you expecting him to go on a long run as ibf champion?

So the fact he went from belt holder to losing it in sth africa to klassen at his next fight was no
surprise. At that point, its reasonable/ expected that gairy was at the end of the road. Guess what happens next... 9/10 times Fighters lose interest, take fights on short notice to pay bills, their skills/ reflexes die, they go up in weight just to get matched. They half ass it in the gym. They lose to average fighters. You know boxing but you dont know this? If you do....why the heck did you start a thread on it?

And...You heard the term " fighters get old overnight". Its used in boxing because its TRUE. Fighters that rely on reflexes are hit hardest.

Nothing about gairys career is surprising. In fact, its the complete opposite.

Worst thread of 2012.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: 'Superman' St Clair

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
Ok, let me break it down further for the dummy.

When gairy won a world title, he was 32 yrs old and had about 43 fights. Were you you expecting him to go on a long run as ibf champion?

So the fact he went from belt holder to losing it in sth africa to klassen at his next fight was no
surprise. At that point, its reasonable/ expected that gairy was at the end of the road. Guess what happens next... 9/10 times Fighters lose interest, take fights on short notice to pay bills, their skills/ reflexes die, they go up in weight just to get matched. They half ass it in the gym. They lose to average fighters. You know boxing but you dont know this? If you do....why the heck did you start a thread on it?

And...You heard the term " fighters get old overnight". Its used in boxing because its TRUE. Fighters that rely on reflexes are hit hardest.

Nothing about gairys career is surprising. In fact, its the complete opposite.

Worst thread of 2012.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015