Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #496
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: ESB ATGs Muay Thai / KickBoxing fighters Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
The fact Naruenat and Thongchai are still fighting says it all really. If you asked 99% of Thai fighters in Thailand if they could earn the same money not fighting would they fight?, the unanimous answer would be no way! In Thailand they are forever perplexed as to why westerners who seem to have it all want to come to Thailand and fight MT, they don’t get it, the average Thai thinks we’re all nuts. For them it’s the necessity of earning a living the only way they know how. Anyway, Thongchai got busted a few years ago and did time for selling “Ya Ma”, amphetamine pills popular in Thailand due to their low price and long high. I think that tells you all you need to know about Thongchai’s financial situation.

You’ll be surprised how humbly Khaosai Galaxy now lives. He’d be considered middle class by Thai standards. Middle class is a very small class in Thailand with about 90%of the country considered working class/poor. Remember this is a top international boxing champion who gets regular mainstream TV and movie work. He lives in modest town house with a regular pick up and no real extra spills, he proabaly does have another house up in Issan but he's not living it up a la Pacman that's for sure. The trouble is as we’ve spoken about a lot recently so I won’t go into it all again but the people that handle these guys are way too greedy and powerful. Sure, boxers are boxers and most are bad at handling money, especially when confronted by needed family members trapped by poverty. At the end of the day these guys have been bred to kick ass from day dot and have little experience of normal life outside the camp until their career is done or they get into their middle twenties, so hence know little of the world and how to manipulate it and the greedy powerful people that surround them. When they leave the gyms they are often ill equipped for anything else and hence struggle and become easy targets for manipulative gangsters and authorities (the real mob in Thailand) that can always use more muscle.

In terms of injuries late in life, MT has multiple target areas with the head not being the main one, so you tend not to see so much of the pugilistic dementia you get in western boxing. I must stress that in my experience, myself included most guys come out of MT relatively OK in terms of long term head damage. Of course lots of facial damage but nothing other than cuts and the obvious breaks. When the Thai guys do have long term have problems they tend to be with joints, previous bad breaks, dislocations and internal injuries especially around the kidney and rib areas. The thing with most of these long term injuries are that they could have been prevented just after the fight if sufficient medical care was provided, but much of the medical care they received was cheap and second rate so hence problems not getting nipped in the bud and developing, again greedy handlers!!!

One really good example of this was a friend of mine named Lert Sor Thanikul (P’Lert to me). When I knew him he was a part time trainer in the gym whenever he needed some extra dough and was a really good padman for me. In his time the late 80s,90s, he had been a good regular Stadium fighter (Lumpini) but not a champion. Until his career had been cut short by an unusual injury. I’ll try and describe his injury but bear with me. If you imagine your neck without any muscles it’ll go limp, your head will be unsupported and loll around form side to side without any control. This was his injury. He could only control how his head lolled around by jerking it with his shoulders or holding it up with his shoulders. (I’ll never forget the 1st time I sat on the back of his motorcycle with him driving and his head lolling around………****in shitting myself!!!! ) Anyway, when I asked him how it happened he basically said to me “you lucky, farang doctor good, Thai doctor very bad!!!”.He explained how he was taken to a very inexpensive low level doctor who made the wrong decision and hence left him with this terrible lifelong injury that affected every part of his life, but he never let it get in the way of anything, even with his injury a great padman!!!!

I’ve attached a picture of him with me in about 2001. It doesn’t look that bad in the photo, but you can kind of get what I’m saying, notice his head permanently leaning to the side and how he’s having to prop his head up with his neck. The photo makes it look static, but in real life his head was moving most of the time unless it was propped.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
this is just a depressing situation that you can only hope will get better with time. That's disturbing what happened to Lert who has to deal with a doctors horrible mistake now for the rest of his life. It must be very uncomfortable to just to sit there in that pic. Hey Boran why do you cover your face? very curious...

Quote:
When the Thai guys do have long term have problems they tend to be with joints, previous bad breaks, dislocations and internal injuries especially around the kidney and rib areas.

I would think rib injuries and damage to internal organs, leg injuries also would be common, muay thai seems to be the sport of breaking the opponent down, thais are tough though, having so many fights and starting so young that many times the effects in the fight itself are not easy to see. Unless they are pitted against a foreigner who is not used to all the body blows. I cringe when I see some of the abuse they take to the body.
yaca you is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #497
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
Thanks for another great post Boran.

You own a good sized collection of muaythai Boran? You ever think of uploading some fights on youtube?

So Sanklai was a Lumpinee champ at 115 and 118lbs.

Sanklai really looks like an ATG to me just for the skills he showed against top competition in these two fights I know their has got to be more footage of him and other top fighters of the previous decades. Youtube's library is always expanding. But at the same time uploads are being lost as accounts are closed.

The fight with the lek was a battle, he really is a vicious kid aint he with those elbows in close. When I saw that knee land and Design Rachanon go down I knew it was over. Hard to recover from that. Good fight.
It's not a massive collection, but good snap shots of certain eras, just stuff I've picked up over the years a mix of VDOs, VCDs and DVDs. It's spread out between London, BKK and Trang. I'm in London for at least the next 3 months as my wife is having a baby, but I've got enough good ones here to get going, so I'll have time to try to uplaod things probabaly in late July or August while hanging around. The truth is I don't know how to do it and I work of a small portable sony laptop like a netbook which doesn't have a dvd player, but I can get one and figure out how to do it. I'm pretty computer savy so I'll sort it out.

Yeah, Lek's an aggresive little mutha, elbows right form the off!!!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #498
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
this is just a depressing situation that you can only hope will get better with time. That's disturbing what happened to Lert who has to deal with a doctors horrible mistake now for the rest of his life. It must be very uncomfortable to just to sit there in that pic. Hey Boran why do you cover your face? very curious...

I would think rib injuries and damage to internal organs, leg injuries also would be common, muay Thai seems to be the sport of breaking the opponent down, Thais are tough though, having so many fights and starting so young that many times the effects in the fight itself are not easy to see. Unless they are pitted against a foreigner who is not used to all the body blows. I cringe when I see some of the abuse they take to the body.
Not really curious, Yaca just very very wary of the world wide web and any unwanted blasts from the past! (I don't even have a facebook account!) For a while I locked this massive part of my life away because it was too painful. It's only the last few years I've started to get wrapped up in it all again. About the covering of the face I started using an avatar for images with Flea when I posted a few pics of training in Thailand in the British boxing forum. But to avoid any dark suspicion I'll post a few more pix uncovered so you can see my ugly mug. I'm only doing it cos this is a small thread and you boys in here seem like good fellas . In the real world I'm a very private guy! By the way Lert wasn’t inpain in that photo (which I’ll repost uncovered below), his injury happened many many years before. He just had no control over it, but he was very used to living with it. And these guys aren’t the kind of guys to let things like that get in the way of their life!

About the damge you're spot on. A lot of the bad injuries are compounded injuries that build up show their face much later in one’s life. I've spent the afternoon getting all dusty trying to find some old pix of my legs and face after my 1st fight in Thailand cos the swelling was like I'd never seen before, can't find them yet but I will. Anyway, the riduculous swelling I'd get in Thailand I'd put down to encountering the proper powerful technique of a Thai and the heat. The 1st time I got kicked by a Thai it was a rude awakening, I'd never felt power like that before even sparing against much bigger farang. The heat was also a problem for farang between fights and in training cos it takes much longer for the swelling to go down and skin infections to clear in hot weather. The Thais however are some of the toughest conditioned fighters on the planet, they barely seem to suffer inbetween fights with serious swelling or anything, that always amazed me. The next day I was hobblingaround like a cripple and they were bouncing around playing football!

He's a few pix to allay any dark suspicions:

Here’s the original photo with Lert uncovered.

Here’s me and Rob in prep room in the back of Raja in about 2001 about 45 mins before the Champ in the pic Noppakhao Suwanchart lost his belt.

Me and Noppakhao in Suwancahrt after training.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Me all busted up after a fight in BKK in 2000. On the left is PABA Bantam weight Champ Saohin Srithai Condo and on the left ex Stadium Champ Komkiet Sor Thanikul famous in the 80s.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Various training Pics with Lert in Suwanchart and also at Sor Thanikul.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by boranbkk; 06-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #499
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

nice pics there boran thats got to be an experience that always stays with you. looks like your having a good time even in the pic with you banged up a bit. training at sor Thanikul, didnt you say it doesnt even exist any more? Unique experience indeed.

Boran your post always feel very personal and your very descriptive, which adds a almost tangible perspective to this forum. always an enjoyable read.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #500
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

That´s great Boran !!! Good to see you man !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #501
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
nice pics there boran thats got to be an experience that always stays with you. looks like your having a good time even in the pic with you banged up a bit. training at sor Thanikul, didnt you say it doesnt even exist any more? Unique experience indeed.

Boran your post always feel very personal and your very descriptive, which adds a almost tangible perspective to this forum. always an enjoyable read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
That´s great Boran !!! Good to see you man !
Thanks fellas, glad you apprecite! It's good to have knowledgeable and interseted addicts to swop info and stories with. You've two and Flea made me feel very welcome on here, thanks fellas. Yep I'm always happy in Thailand, (I hate it whenever I have to leave to go anywhere) and those were some of my happiest, even on some of the hardest and toughest days of my life, always happy in the Land of Smiles!

Yep, Sor Thanikul closed in about 2003. In the end it was being run by Mr Klaow's 25 year old grandson, who wasn't exactly that interested. Rumour said it'd reopen, but still hasn't who knows though, it was such a famous gym with some of the most loyal fighter's you'll find, it may come back again one day.

(Thanikul was the second gym in the photos, which was my MT base. Next time you watch Kickboxer with Van Damme and a you see the small fat trainer (Ajan Bung) when he laughs at Kurt for wanting to train in a Thai gym, look at the last photo! Same angle almost. )

To get it back on the thread back on track, I'll try to find some good clips of some Sor Thanikul greats other than Boonlai.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #502
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

How about this one. Silapathai vs Komkiat. like silapathai (who I belive was a two time Raja champ) especially his fights with Veraphol who was deadly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFa9EIzDvk[/ame]
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #503
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
How about this one. Silapathai vs Komkiat. like silapathai (who I belive was a two time Raja champ) especially his fights with Veraphol who was deadly.

Jesus Yaca, talk about a list of coincidences considering my last few posts. Where to start?

Well 1st, what a great dog fight bags of heart on show. Unfortunately Komkiat a bit out classed in this one, that sequence in round 4 where badass Silapathai kicks him repeatedly 16 times…………

Unfortunately, Komkiat’s legacy was cut short due to a ban, who knows what he may have achieved?

I knew Komkiat and his brother Phrathet pretty well. This Komkiat (a different one to the one in the photo above from an earlier era) was a great fighter who wore red lipstick into the ring, but unfortunately got a lifetime ban for throwing a fight (****in harsh). After his ban he opened a tiny restaurant at the top so the small street Sor Thanikul was on. I used to sneak an extra meal there many mornings after training.

Now this is where we come to the 1st coincidence. The picture already posted with Lert in, well notice the lady on the left sitting on the mat, that’s Komkiat's wife who used to cook in the small restaurant and that picture is taken outside a small apartment block which is right next to Komkiat’s place called Nut Mansions (don't you just love Thai names).

The second giant coincidence is in the above clip at 1.20 secs you see a clip of ATG Boonlai and his brother Boonleng cheering on Komkiat well look who’s behind and in the middle of them……..a younger Lert!!! You also see Ajan Bueng the head trainer at 34 secs and a bit later on.

Komkiat was always around the soi and was always lovely, friendly and very funny. I got on very well with his brother Prathet who I sparred and trained a lot with. Third coincidence, in the photo above after a fight you see on the right a guy in a black and white stripped top, that’s Phrathet who worked my corner in two fights (I’ll post a photo of him later tonight once I get in). A very good fighter in his time, but I think he’s based in Phuket now training foreigners for MMA. Here he is training Alan Belcher:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu7mxTAOpdE[/ame][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

After Phrathet quit Muay Thai he turned over and had a few western boxing, one against Michael Katsidis:

Last edited by boranbkk; 06-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #504
The Spider

vCash:

So that wasn't your head in the earlier pic with Lert then
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #505
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

^^^ Had you goin there didn't I Spidey!!!

As promised some photos of Phrathet Sor Thanikul the brother of Komkiat from the above clip in his black and white top!!

Another in the gym. The guy on the far left is Booma Sor Thanikul a very close friend of Komkiat, who sadly died about a year after this was taken.

boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #506
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:

you know JWP last fight ever is against Jordan Tai, scheduled for june 23rd. the match will be fought in a cage with 4 oz gloves but under muaythai rules.

here's a interview from Bloody elbow on his upcoming fight with Tai and the Boonchu Cup:
Heard they got a full house for this event.

But unfortunately JWP broke his hand yet again, and sounds like he's definitely hanging up the gloves for good now.

Great career John Wayne Parr. Enjoy retirement champ
Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #507
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Heard they got a full house for this event.

But unfortunately JWP broke his hand yet again, and sounds like he's definitely hanging up the gloves for good now.

Great career John Wayne Parr. Enjoy retirement champ
Thanks for the update. What a bummer for him as this event sounded like heart and soul for him, bet he's gutted he can't fight on the opening show. But knowing all me know about JWP something tells me he may yet surpirse us!

If we never see the ATG legend that is the aussie gunslinger JWP in the ring again, all the best and thanks for fall the great fights!

An MT warrior Thailand would be proud of and an inspiration to a whole generation of farang fighters.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD4I0Snj5U0[/ame]
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #508
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

here's the vid of JWP fight

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cayBUvv4WIM[/ame]
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #509
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:

I believe JWP broke a finger early in the first round, but you'd hardly know it.

Full credit also to Jordan Tai. Even towards the end when JWP was jumping all over him, he just kept coming and coming.

Not bad for an old bloke that JWP
Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #510
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
I believe JWP broke a finger early in the first round, but you'd hardly know it.

Full credit also to Jordan Tai. Even towards the end when JWP was jumping all over him, he just kept coming and coming.

Not bad for an old bloke that JWP
Thanks Yaca, if you find the full fight I'd love to see it.

Sorry about my last post lads I thought you meant he busted it in training and wasn't gonna fight. That's the problem with posting in the wee hours!

It really would be intersting the see the 1st three rounds cos they both looked empty almost and JWPs kicked looked heavy and slow must have been a helluva a first three rounds. Not used to seeing JWP soo bushed, he's usually so fit.

Intersting to note that they deidn't seem to have to much facial damage considering they are using the little MMA gloves.

Anyway the "old bloke"'s still got it!

Good luck to him, he'll be an ATG trainer/promoter as well probabaly.
boranbkk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum