Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
dency45

vCash: 500
Default Do Boxers lift weight?

I'm a boxer beginner, i do lift weight regularly and i box once a week. i read in this website that weights will just slow you down but it gives you power so just do explosive exercise for speed and power.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dency45 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Do Boxers lift weight?

yes.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Stay Away From Weights – Trying to bench press to build your power punch is like lifting leg weights to break the sprint record.
Spoken like a true clueless person. The people that have a clue don't claim bench press increases punching power.

Quote:
Although there are many conflicting articles out there that argue back and forth between whether or not lifting weights will aid your punch, the science is quite simple: when you lift weights, your body is becoming stronger at moving slow (punching is a fast movement).
Utter bullshit.

Quote:
Not only that, but training with weights will only make you noticeably stronger within a limited range of motion.
Again, bullshit. The range of motion used is down to the weight lifter.

Quote:
Your body will also be building unnatural muscle that will tire much faster than your regular muscle.
You don't have to build muscle to get stronger and lifting weights doesn't magically make you put on weight.

Again, bullshit.

Quote:
If building truly powerful and effective muscle was possible, a great middleweight boxer could easily be a great heavyweight boxer, right?
"If building truly powerful and effective muscle was possible" Since when is it not possible?

Whoever wrote this article has extremely litmited knowledge of weightlifting. Ignore whatever he/she says in relation to weight training
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yes, don't let anyone tell you not to do strength training. you must do some sort of strength training whether is weight training, plyometric, etc. You just need to know how to train weight. Lifting weights is resistance training, body weight is also resistance training. you just need to know how to train.
Sprawla is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Spoken like a true clueless person. The people that have a clue don't claim bench press increases punching power.

Utter bullshit.

Again, bullshit. The range of motion used is down to the weight lifter.

You don't have to build muscle to get stronger and lifting weights doesn't magically make you put on weight.

Again, bullshit.

"If building truly powerful and effective muscle was possible" Since when is it not possible?

Whoever wrote this article has extremely litmited knowledge of weightlifting. Ignore whatever he/she says in relation to weight training
Wow... just wow.
My favourite is comparing unnatural muscle to 'regular muscle'. Wtf is regular muscle, should we stop babies from crawling? Because that's when they start to build extra muscle.
Sorry baby, you're not allowed to walk, you're building unnatural muscle by doing that.
Everything physical you do in this world has an effect on muscle...
lefty is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dency45 View Post
I'm a boxer beginner, i do lift weight regularly and i box once a week. i read in this website that weights will just slow you down but it gives you power so just do explosive exercise for speed and power.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
If you want to box then you should be boxing more than once a week. Weights can be good but boxing is the priority for a boxer.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
VanillaKilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Do boxers lift weight? Yes almost all do

However lifting for boxing =/= body building

There are specific exercises you would use that would maximize you're physical condition. Many of these are personally tailored to you body type. Some have weaker wrist,calve,shoulders ect.....

Also once you get competitive, a good lifting program will pay off dividends... However, these workouts are often EXTREMELY intense and will be more draining that hitting the bag/pads and sparring. - These workouts don't consist of hitting the bench for 8-12 reps ect... (what most people think of as weight lifting)

IF you are just starting, I would not advise lifting seriously until you get competitive. Lifting for boxing will not get you big muscles but it will increase you're performance in the ring. Unless you are competing, i would stick to lifting to address you're weak points (forearm,wrist,shoulder ect...)

Serious lifting for boxing is extremely taxing mentally and physically. It would be more beneficial to use that energy to improve you're boxing skills and cardiovascular system
VanillaKilla is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaKilla View Post

There are specific exercises you would use that would maximize you're physical condition. Many of these are personally tailored to you body type. Some have weaker wrist,calve,shoulders ect.....

Also once you get competitive, a good lifting program will pay off dividends... However, these workouts are often EXTREMELY intense and will be more draining that hitting the bag/pads and sparring. - These workouts don't consist of hitting the bench for 8-12 reps ect... (what most people think of as weight lifting)

IF you are just starting, I would not advise lifting seriously until you get competitive. Lifting for boxing will not get you big muscles but it will increase you're performance in the ring. Unless you are competing, i would stick to lifting to address you're weak points (forearm,wrist,shoulder ect...)

Serious lifting for boxing is extremely taxing mentally and physically. It would be more beneficial to use that energy to improve you're boxing skills and cardiovascular system
What?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaKilla View Post

Extremely taxing physically and mentally and extemely intense? No.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

It's almost as if Boxers/Boxing trainers think that the only way to lift weights is to do the same as what someone like Arnie did.

Even the fastest man on the planet lifts weights.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

You only have to watch most of the recent 24-7 of cotto ,mayweather etc to see that strength and conditioning is a major part of preparation..Weights are involved with that process.
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
dency45

thank you guys. i don't have the money to pay for a monthly boxing so i can only do it once a week with my trainer. i'm thinking that for the time im still saving some money to pay for a monthly boxing i'll make my body strong first, i have a weak legs, weak core and weak cardiovascular system. so can anyone recommend me a daily routine that will make me strong as a boxer? i already doing cardio 3 x a week. i will also do shadow boxing everyday.
dency45 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
dency45

and what is a typical weightlifting routine for a boxer?
dency45 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

strength training is important to every athlete, but I just want to say that there is very little correlation between an athlete's ability to say lift a static weight and knock out another human being or be competitive in a fight.

I have always been naturally strong when it comes to lifting weights for my size, but there are plenty of guys physically weaker than me in that fashion who can, for reasons of leverage or timing or whatever, hit hard enough to hurt me at or just above my weight class.

Erik Morales is a joke when you see him trying to do anything with weights; his body is terribly adapted to that exercise. Yet he's the last guy to beat Pacquiao, and its clear he has the technique and power to hurt people. I would estimate that Shane Mosley could double his lifts, or more. Floyd Mayweather's exercises are calisthenic, plyometric, and doing stuff like basketball, the only weight type things I have ever see him do is the neck harness and maybe punching with small dumb bells - he isn't even doing a lot of olympic style lifts, he is too busy training for agility and stamina and timing.

I think getting a good foundation for the skill set the sport requires trumps any kind of raw strength unless you are a natural Mayorga.
aramini is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramini View Post
strength training is important to every athlete, but I just want to say that there is very little correlation between an athlete's ability to say lift a static weight and knock out another human being or be competitive in a fight.

I have always been naturally strong when it comes to lifting weights for my size, but there are plenty of guys physically weaker than me in that fashion who can, for reasons of leverage or timing or whatever, hit hard enough to hurt me at or just above my weight class.

Erik Morales is a joke when you see him trying to do anything with weights; his body is terribly adapted to that exercise. Yet he's the last guy to beat Pacquiao, and its clear he has the technique and power to hurt people. I would estimate that Shane Mosley could double his lifts, or more. Floyd Mayweather's exercises are calisthenic, plyometric, and doing stuff like basketball, the only weight type things I have ever see him do is the neck harness and maybe punching with small dumb bells - he isn't even doing a lot of olympic style lifts, he is too busy training for agility and stamina and timing.

I think getting a good foundation for the skill set the sport requires trumps any kind of raw strength unless you are a natural Mayorga.
I've seen Floyd do tricep extensions and lat pulls on a machine
bballchump11 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing