Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #241
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwutkrhatA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

De la Hoya at his very best
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #242
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

could someone clarify qhat being off centre means, how to do it and the benefit of it please?

thanks guys........
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #243
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post
could someone clarify qhat being off centre means, how to do it and the benefit of it please?

thanks guys........
I think of it as boxing with your weight on the back foot so that your lead shoulder is higher protecting your chin. Think Joe Louis stance.... That burley video will help you...

Guys give me some good counter punchers.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #244
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post

thanks guys........

Lead hand forward, standing almost sideways, feet always ready to pivot and move. Upperbody weight leaning slightly to your stronger hand, makes the opponents lead hand much easier to see, gives you more room to pivot and manoveur away should you need to, and also makes it easier to counter with sharp hooks and uppercuts.

EDIT: as jeff said, the Burley video covers most of this
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #245
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
This guy is awesome- never seen much before....
Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #246
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
I think of it as boxing with your weight on the back foot so that your lead shoulder is higher protecting your chin. Think Joe Louis stance.... That burley video will help you...

Seen much of George Benton? I think you'll enjoy watching him.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #247
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Benton is class:

WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #248
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Jimmy Tibbs in this weeks BN, Lovely interview got a few quotes to share..

Asked about changes he made to Benn after his loss to Eubank

'When i took over, Nigel was a tired fighter. Everytime he chucked out a jab he'd cop an overhand right. But i took him out to Tenerife, got him to relax and showed him how to sit on the ropes, move top half of his body and dip his head. In seven world title fights with me he barely got hit.

Training for Henry Wharton, Nigel was looking terrible. So i told him to pay off his sparring partners and, instead, I became Henry Wharton. We didn't spar because Nigel was far to powerful- Though Darren Dyer and Wayne Alexander were both more concussive with one shot- but i put the pads on, got Nigel to 'give' a little bit, get behind his jab , then open (the opponent) up for that right hand-left hook. Fight night, Nigel looked like SRL, Was treble jabbing him.

Talking about working with son Mark..

'Whereas Mark relies on me for experience, i have to have him because of the way boys get ready for fights today. Today's athletes have certainly progressed from when i was boxing in the 60's. There's far more body strength in them.

Talking about Frankie Gavin

Mark was working on getting Frankie's body strength up and i got him anchoring his feet and punching through the shoulder'

Jimmy on key factors behind his success

I've always been a fan of pads, because it allows me to get up close with fighters and identify the mistakes they're makin. Finally i'm a strict trainer i don't like too much talking in gym. They're there to work and, once that's done, They've got no worries. Have a good chat outside after.

Not the whole interview, it's in BN this week. Thought it would be of interest..
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #249
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
This guy is awesome- never seen much before....
Locche is one of my favourites
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #250
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Interesting stuff.
WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #251
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:

Harold Johnson
Jersey Joe Walcott
Marlon Starling
Wilfred Benitez
Archie Moore
Roberto Duran is the best offensive counter puncher i've ever seen. He was offensive and defensive at the same time. Mixed the two so well.

Last edited by slip&counter; 02-10-2012 at 02:12 AM.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #252
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Jimmy Tibbs in this weeks BN, Lovely interview got a few quotes to share..

Asked about changes he made to Benn after his loss to Eubank

'When i took over, Nigel was a tired fighter. Everytime he chucked out a jab he'd cop an overhand right. But i took him out to Tenerife, got him to relax and showed him how to sit on the ropes, move top half of his body and dip his head. In seven world title fights with me he barely got hit.

Training for Henry Wharton, Nigel was looking terrible. So i told him to pay off his sparring partners and, instead, I became Henry Wharton. We didn't spar because Nigel was far to powerful- Though Darren Dyer and Wayne Alexander were both more concussive with one shot- but i put the pads on, got Nigel to 'give' a little bit, get behind his jab , then open (the opponent) up for that right hand-left hook. Fight night, Nigel looked like SRL, Was treble jabbing him.

Talking about working with son Mark..

'Whereas Mark relies on me for experience, i have to have him because of the way boys get ready for fights today. Today's athletes have certainly progressed from when i was boxing in the 60's. There's far more body strength in them.

Talking about Frankie Gavin

Mark was working on getting Frankie's body strength up and i got him anchoring his feet and punching through the shoulder'

Jimmy on key factors behind his success

I've always been a fan of pads, because it allows me to get up close with fighters and identify the mistakes they're makin. Finally i'm a strict trainer i don't like too much talking in gym. They're there to work and, once that's done, They've got no worries. Have a good chat outside after.

Not the whole interview, it's in BN this week. Thought it would be of interest..

Cheers for sharing, Mand.

I rate Jimmy highly. Interesting bit about Nige there. I always thought Benn's defense in terms of his head movement and bob and weave was slightly underrated. Jimmy had a lot to with that.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #253
Go Getta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 336

Khan planning a 6 week camp for Peterson rematch, instead of a 9 or 8 week camp.

Khan is known to train like crazy and as i pointed out before could be overtraining and peaking too early in camp.

This 6 week camp should help him then maybe Alex has had some words with Khan, in the Maidana and Peterson fights Khan looked gased early in the fight, this might help him going into peaking at the right time.
Go Getta is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #254
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getta View Post
Khan planning a 6 week camp for Peterson rematch, instead of a 9 or 8 week camp.

Khan is known to train like crazy and as i pointed out before could be overtraining and peaking too early in camp.

This 6 week camp should help him then maybe Alex has had some words with Khan, in the Maidana and Peterson fights Khan looked gased early in the fight, this might help him going into peaking at the right time.
Some fighters train for far too long for a fight. No doubt about it. What happens is you can go past your peak in that period then you're left with not much in the tank come fight night. Most of that is because they're not fighting enough so they end up training way longer then they should for two dates a year.

Last edited by slip&counter; 02-10-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #255
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Footwork.

I have a foot fetish in boxing. I really love to watch fighters with good feet. I've seen fighters lose and win purely on their feet.

Footwork is a requirement in all level of boxing. Just like with anything else in boxing it has to be educated to be effective. Some fighters just move around without knowing why they're doing so. Good footwork is needed in all areas of the game. It's needed by the attacking pressure fighters as well as the defensive fighters. With good footwork you can cut the ring, change the distance, get yourself out of bad situations, control the pace of the fight etc. It's basically your base and root foundation to get your game started and get your rhythm going.

The objective should be to not just run as eventually you'll be found. But for defense to get out of range and for offense to get into range with them. Just moving around the ring without purpose and giving off a running impression will not do anything for you. You will waste a lot of motion and not impress the judges either. You'll also trap yourself in pressure spots in the ring. If you're an aggressive fighter with bad footwork it can mean the difference between stopping and getting to your opponent and getting outpointed as we saw with Khan/Maidana where Marcos Maidana was letting Khan survive mainly due to his poor feet and Khan was letting Maidana get to him with his poor feet. That fight was an illustration of everything not to do for either style with their feet. Khan wasn't circling effectively and Maidana wasn't cutting across properly. It was a smorgasbord of mistakes with the feet.

There's two types styles of footwork employed by fighters. One is the simple getting in and then out that most amatuer boxers use. This way of fighting with your feet requires in most cases that you use your feet for your first line of defense. I'm not a fan of it because you can't rely exclusively on your feet to avoid punches.

The other style of footwork and it's the more skilled way of using the feet is to not just go in and out in one direction but to move round your opponent in a tight circle when you punch AND when you're defending against an attack. It gives you many more angles for attack and openings. This requires a lot of skill and refinement because you can easily circle into a punch. You'll see fighters trying to circle in tight spots but end up just being smoke and mirrors and eventually circling into a punch. Boxing in tight circles you need a good dose of reflexes and timing as you're normally in close or in the pocket and you have to master how to pivot.

Watch how Zab Judah (the ultimate smoke and mirrors fighter) circles and dips into the power hand with poor footwork.

One of the best guys to watch for in how to use educated feet is Miguel Canto. I loved the way he just glided on the top of canvas and befuddled his opponents with good footwork. So smooth and not much wasted motion. It basically made him the fighter that he was as he didn't have a lot to keep opponents honest, he had to master the science of footwork.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONz2bSQd1fQ&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPeORmLXpl8[/ame]

Watch how Oscar De La Hoya outboxes Trinidad and gains the advantage with his footwork. Excuse the pathetic music. Oscar gave a masterclass in footwork in that fight. In and out of range. Keeping Trinidad guessing and not allowing him to set.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sakDjoOB80c[/ame]

Someone is to watch in this department is a young Holyfield. He use to bounce with real purpose on his toes.

Will add more later...

Last edited by slip&counter; 02-10-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum