boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #361
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

i think if people post videos which they think are good trainming ideas or drills would be good.

good work by everyone posting
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #362
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

I think I'm going to head along the gym an hour earlier tomorrow and help out training with the kids, just take a few of them on the pads and work on a few things with them. The class is for the kids that are too young to box yet, but I think it's a good place for me to start learning as a coach, as I've only really helped a few of my mates out and given tips to other boxers in the gym.

Last edited by Jdsm; 02-12-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #363
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Yep this thread has given me the impetus to start 'training' again. My nephews been badgering me for ages and I ain't been ****d but am serious about knocking the blow ok the head when I get home this time...we'll see!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #364
JukeboxTimebomb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I love to see somebody roll with the opponents right hand whilst countering with a left hook all in one movement. Its very risky but its a finisher.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwjohgunz1A[/ame]
JukeboxTimebomb is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #365
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Great posts here lads

Enjoy this.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Shame watched it all, thought it would be more training then that. Started off with stance/posture then just got silly..
Although it's not a serious video, it was quite amusing. I enjoy watching interviews that Kugan Cassius does, funny guy .
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #366
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

EDIT: **** internet connection caused double post.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #367
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

EDIT: **** internet connection caused double post.

Jesus Christ, I've had a 'mare. **** you Virgin Internet and **** you Usain Bolt.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #368
1lifeliveit

vCash: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post

As you say, making the opponent overreach is a huge part of the style and can't believe I actually managed to miss that out. Another thing about the style is the fact that you appear to be so open to shots and with subtle movements and change in angles, you can draw the shot you want. For example, just squaring up a little bit can draw the right hand and you've set him up for the shoulder roll.

When people get frustrated with limitted success to the head, they often try to attack the body, which again remains generally well covered because of the position of the left hand/arm and right elbow/arm, obviously made do-able because of the reliance of the lead shoulder to protect the chin. You can see it so often where a fighter will get sick of missing the head so just try and hit the body for the sake of it and leave himself horribly open to bodyshots and uppercuts himself.

Great post BB, it's an intruiging style
this remind me so much of when we spar, it is a very frustrating, must say i miss a good 8 out of 10 shots, no im not a great boxer but even watching others against this style they miss a lot, cant wait to see if you bring this style with you when you box in amateurs mate see how your opponents react
1lifeliveit is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #369
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
Slip, I know many boxers like to wear wraps when hitting the bag, but to be honest I never understood this. Surely the gloves have enough padding to protect your hands. I don't know, I might be wrong, but my old boxing coach never liked us wearing pads when hitting the bag. He said that we should hit the bags without gloves in order to "condition" the hands. Now I'm not sure on this "conditioning the hands" business, but I've always felt that a bag is not really solid enough to hurt the hands if you're wearing gloves. Like I said though, obviously I'm no expert so it would be good to hear from fighters and trainers to see what they think about this.
The handwraps should be worn and wrapped properly because they're the main source of protection for your hands. The gloves are a protection for impact and cushioning them when you land, but they don't protect the smaller joints and bones in the hand. That's what the job of the handwraps are. To protect those small bones which can easily fracture or even break. The wraps also provide solid support for your wrists.

Depends on the bag you're using and how intense the workout is, plus everyones resistance is different. But certainly the heavy bag can do serious damage to your hands, especially if you're going all out. I know people who have damaged their hands so much to the point where they can't even hold a pen properly. The wraps are CRUCIAL.

On the 'conditioning of the hands'. I think your coach was off base there and you're very fortunate you didn't incur injury. Your hands are ganna take serious wear and tear anyway, if you're training a lot. So the conditioning of them will already take place naturally without you doing something to jeopardize your health.

Last edited by slip&counter; 02-13-2012 at 05:53 AM.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #370
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
The handwraps should be worn and wrapped properly because they're the main source of protection for your hands. The gloves are a protection for impact and cushioning them when you land, but they don't protect the smaller joints and bones in the hand. That's what the job of the handwraps are. To protect those small bones which can easily fracture or even break. The wraps also provide solid support for your wrists.

Depends on the bag you're using and how intense the workout is, plus everyones resistance is different. But certainly the heavy bag can do serious damage to your hands, especially if you're going all out. I know people who have damaged their hands so much to the point where they can't even hold a pen properly. The wraps are CRUCIAL.

On the 'conditioning of the hands'. I think your coach was off base there and you're very fortunate you didn't incur injury. Your hands are ganna take serious wear and tear anyway, if you're training a lot. So the conditioning of them will already take place naturally without you doing something to jeopardize your health.

this for me, my left wrist used to fold if i connected and didnt have my hands wrapped properly

also wrapping your hands TOO tight leaves my hands sore as hell
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #371
Boxing&Blues
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I have some videos to share.

BORKED

BORKED

BORKED

great thread btw
Boxing&Blues is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #372
Moochie
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

^Good stuff. Another fighter who used footwork and angles in the same vein as the Willie P's was Ralph Dupas. In fact, aside from his obviously darker skin he even rather looked like them:

BORKED
Moochie is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #373
izmat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

the suggestion that fighters of the past were better because they didn't use pads is ridiculous IMO
izmat is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #374
Boxing&Blues
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Very true Moochie. Dupas and pastrano shared the same trainer in Whitey Esneault. I found this in another forum:

Quote:
tripplejab34, here is the letter I submitted to the IBHOF asking that Whitey Esnault be included on their ballot :

Please consider ERNEST 'WHITEY" ESNAULT for inclusion as a nominee for the International Boxing Hall of Fame. Whitey was a legend in New Orleans and NOBODY in the history of our sport, anywhere, ever taught flashy, classic speed boxing better than Whitey.

As director of the famed St. Mary's Italian Parish Gym in the French Quarter he turned out more "teenage boxing sensations" than any other trainer in boxing history - all with slick and classy moves that would have made Willie Pep blush with envy.

Whitey's first "star" was BERNARD DOCUSEN who turned pro at 17 and by the age of 18 he was rated in the RING MAGAZINE top ten. After losing an early fight Bernard went on a 37 bout undefeated streak, climbing to the top contender in the welterweight division, culminating in a title shot at Sugar Ray Robinson in Chicago in 1948. Ray had to go all out to eke out a razor thin decision to retain his crown. Known as "BIG DUKE," he was considered one of the classiest boxers ever by many scribes who watched him perform.

Bernard's younger brother MAXIE DOCUSEN, another of Whitey's pupils, turned pro at 15 and attained a world rating (RING) before his 19th birthday. The lightning fast "LITTLE DUKE" was unbeaten in his first 65 matches, becoming the No. 1 contender in the lightweight division, with wins over Manuel Ortiz, Enrique Bolanos, Carlos Chavez, John L. Davis etc. and became the darling of the California fight fans and a hero in the Filipino community on the west coast. The fast lane eventually claimed him - preventing his ever wearing the crown.

Esnault's next "phenom" was known as "Native Dancer" because of his extraordinary swiftness in the Ring. RALPH DUPAS, a pro at 14, first appeared in the world ratings at 17. In his long career, Ralph was compared to Willie Pep more than any other boxer in history. Dupas rose to the No. 1 contender in both the lightweight and welterweight class and having two unsuccessful shots at those titles against Joe Brown and Emile Griffith who barely squeezed out the verdict over Ralph in Vegas. He finally won a world title beating Denny Moyer for the Jr. Middleweight crown in 1963.

Following right on Dupas' heels was his boyhood pal, WILLIE PASTRANO. A pro at 15 and a world rated middleweight at 18, Pastrano grew into a lt. heavy and even campaigned as a heavyweight, where he reached the number 4 slot in that division before dropping back to the 175 lb. class where he edged the great Harold Johnson for the championship. Willie also fought a draw with Archie Moore during a career when he was considered the best boxing "big man" of his era.

When "TEENAGE TONY" LICATA turned pro at 17, Esnault had been dead for a couple of years but Tony had been "schooled" by Whitey" at St. Mary's since he was 8 years old. Licata went on a streak of 51 matches without a loss at the beginning of his career, eventually gaining the top rating among the middleweights before being stopped in 10 rounds by legendary champion Carlos Monzon for the title. Tony was the best boxer in his division in the 1970's and was the last of Esnault's famed "Teenage Boxing Sensations."

Esnault started training and "teaching" boxing in the Crescent City in 1915 until his death in the mid-60's. Among his other top notchers were Jr. middleweight champ Freddie Little along with Augie Lapara, Keith Hamilton, Vince Bonomo, Tony Dupas, Jerome Conforte and others. Perhaps Whitey's lack of acclaim can be traced to the fact that he rarely left New Orleans due to his business commitments there and having a leg amputated which he felt could hamper his boxers and as they advanced he transferred the management of some of his charges to other fight handlers like Angelo Dundee and Bonnie Geigerman.
Chuck Hasson
***Whitey Esnault has been on the IBHOF ballot for the past two years.
Boxing&Blues is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #375
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Barry Robinson. A man who argues with Ben Doughty on fb i believe .
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbSoKfTmJ9U[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHAsxheaeZ0&feature=relmfu[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V-4bSkpR90&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Derek Roche former british champion.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uJMP1fU7cI[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vysbW8bvwAw&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZyxJETmew[/ame]
SkillspayBills is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum