boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #481
Evian McGirt
Drink some water baby!
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lake Minnetonka
Posts: 218
vCash: 775
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochie View Post
Now that's what I like to see in a thread about proper boxing technique. Every young student of the game should study this.


Don't shoot the messenger, just helping the new guy post a gif.

Could someone take a stab at explaining the "cross armed defence"?

I've been watching some old heavyweight footage recently and seen the obvious suspects, Foreman, Norton, Frazier employing it.

In a smaller, mobile fighter like Frazier or Qawi it seems far more effective. Working their way into the opponents guard. Especially when it comes to the transition into offence.

With Foreman however it looks more of a surviving tactic. i.e: he's simply soaking up the pressure and waiting for his gap to unleash punches.

I've read elsewhere that Archie Moore perfected or at least popularised this technique.

What are the limitations on using it? How effective is it? Is it suited to a certain type or build of boxer etc? Are there any natural punches from this stance that transition into offence or is it a case of "unfurling" your arms before resuming your attack from an orthodox stance?
Evian McGirt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #482
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
I heard the more active the parents are the more fast twich fibre's the child has, not sure if that's bull but i'm gonna keep active
Old wives tale if ever there was one.



Quote:
As for speed, i've seen a lot of lads use weights for shadowboxing. I think speed can be developed but not vastly improved like going from one extreme to other.
Weights can be useful in trying to improve your speed. But you have to becareful with them. Especially heavy weights because they could have the opposite effect. I've seen some guys relying on weights too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Sound like someone ****nal could of done with tonight they didn't have any fight. Sorry Slip .
You're not wrong, Mate. Even though i expected us to lose, we were shocking. It's the end of the era as most of us gunners have been saying for a quite a while now. Time for Wenger to move upstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post
mccallums vs curry was a peach and technically suoerb as i remember
That was a beauty. Jose Napoles is the man for left hooks.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #483
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Speaking of Mantequilla, can someone post the finish of the 2nd Ernie Lopez fight.

You will see probably the greatest counter right uppercut in the history of boxing. Napoles' movement, timing, precision and poise all add up to the perfect shot, against a top contender and very tough man. Just steps back a wee bit and POP!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #484
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian McGirt View Post


Could someone take a stab at explaining the "cross armed defence"?

I've been watching some old heavyweight footage recently and seen the obvious suspects, Foreman, Norton, Frazier employing it.

In a smaller, mobile fighter like Frazier or Qawi it seems far more effective. Working their way into the opponents guard. Especially when it comes to the transition into offence.

With Foreman however it looks more of a surviving tactic. i.e: he's simply soaking up the pressure and waiting for his gap to unleash punches.

I've read elsewhere that Archie Moore perfected or at least popularised this technique.

What are the limitations on using it? How effective is it? Is it suited to a certain type or build of boxer etc? Are there any natural punches from this stance that transition into offence or is it a case of "unfurling" your arms before resuming your attack from an orthodox stance?
Cross armed defense is not an effective way of fighting out of. That's the main flaw. You have to be a master at it to make it work. You don't transition from defense to offense as you say and it's not great for counter punching. You basically have to be pressing the fight and you open up spots for hook combinations to get through on you and you give the opponent the initiative in terms of getting off first as you have to reset, reposition and re-adjust to get off. It's really just a blocking technique for most who employ it.

If you get backed up and don't know how to fight out of it and the proper angles, you're in trouble. Think some of the guys who used it, if they got backed up they struggled. They only used it as well when they got close and in desperate attempts to block the incoming. People like Azumah Nelson, Ken Norton, Frazier, Gene Fullmer, Holyfield (from time to time) etc. You'll notice also that it worked best for certain styles. I.e those who relied on their toughness and walking through punches. I think in some cases it can be better than the traditional earmuff guard though.

Archie perfected it and used it best, if you look he used it in the right moments and he could do different things, he knew when to do the cross arm and when not to. He could change and mixed it up. He also knew how to counter punch out of it and he's the only one who did. It's not something you can do constantly because your offense and ability to throw suffers as you have to take time to get into punching position. You don't get fluid offense.

It's not a technique that is all negative though. It does have it's positives for the right style. It's great for blocking certain punches, putting your arm/glove under your chin for example and turning it can block uppercuts better. Although that's more a philly shell then a cross arm and some might argue that the cross arm in fact opens you up for uppercuts. However i think if it's done right it's great for blocking uppercuts. Which is Something some fighters who just put their guard up in the traditional style struggle to do. We only have to look at Khan and Pacquiao to see that.

But i think it has to be taught right. We don't see it often now because it's really a specialist technique. No coach is ganna teach it to a young kid coming into his gym. It's something some fighters develop and adopt because they find it comfortable. So even if it were to be taught, there's no one to teach it left. Old Foreman got it from people like Doc Broadus and Archie Moore. I think it has it's uses. It's really good for blocking straight punches aswell.

Last edited by slip&counter; 02-16-2012 at 07:24 AM.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #485
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Didn't do Jermain Taylor many favours either
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #486
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,946
vCash: 122
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

I think it does help to stop straight shots, Norton gave Ali & Holmes a lot of problems.

Like Slip said its much harder to counter from but like any guard it has its pros & cons.
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #487
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

What the cross-armed, Luke? Don't think Taylor used it much. Forgive me if i'm misunderstanding.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #488
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
I think it does help to stop straight shots, Norton gave Ali & Holmes a lot of problems.

Like Slip said its much harder to counter from but like any guard it has its pros & cons.
It can be an effective way of closing distance if you're a guy pressing the fight. Because you'll be blocking a lot of straight shots and some combinations. And especially if you have a jab like Norton did that comes from underneath and sets you up. The problem is when you come up against someone who can back you up it's curtains. Ali and to a certain extent Holmes couldn't back Norton up. It can also restrict you and close off some angles.

Another negative of it is because of the elbow positioning you can be open to body shots. Archie Moore negated this by leaning forward. Which then of course could lead you to being hit with uppercuts.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #489
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

No one cares?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #490
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Team Wales HQ, West Yorkshire
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Good read if you haven't seen it before.
WalletInspector is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #491
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
What the cross-armed, Luke? Don't think Taylor used it much. Forgive me if i'm misunderstanding.
I'm sure I saw Taylor use it a couple of times.

Might be wrong.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #492
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Yep was a great thread. Buchanan, Conteh and Frazier are my choices.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #493
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

So can someone post the end of Napoles-Lopez II please Please!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #494
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Haven't got access to the tube at the minute, Flea.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #495
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
I'm sure I saw Taylor use it a couple of times.

Might be wrong.
Nope. Unless i'm having a memory lapse, i don't think he ever did. He has a regular stance.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015