Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #556
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Lets analyse David Hayes destruction of Chisora and Charles
The half jab to blind Chisora then the short right hand followed by muay thai clinch. Driving elbows and hammerfists down .
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #557
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Watch the padwork, people wonder if Clev will get better well he won't under his father. I know media days your not gonna pick your man apart but it's the whole thing with Vince he's just holding pads up and letting Nathan throw loads of shots.He's not in a boxing stance himself. Pads are overly wide and just left there. I mean he's not even calling shots..
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkE9C8JPX-A[/ame]

Watching the video you can pick apart Clev and his flaws.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #558
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Watch the padwork, people wonder if Clev will get better well he won't under his father. I know media days your not gonna pick your man apart but it's the whole thing with Vince he's just holding pads up and letting Nathan throw loads of shots.He's not in a boxing stance himself. Pads are overly wide and just left there. I mean he's not even calling shots..
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A lot of Calzaghe imitations going on there. The way Vince is working the pads, he's encouraging flaws rather than correcting them.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #559
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Another tactic is get inside. When inside your not really 'orthodox' or 'southpaw' but more squared up and none of the advanatges or disadvanatages exist.
Squaring up on the inside is one of the worst things you can do, Greg. The trick when on the inside is actually to get your opponent squared up, get your lead foot inbetween his legs and do whats called the 'hip clinch'.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #560
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Squaring up on the inside is one of the worst things you can do, Greg. The trick when on the inside is actually to get your opponent squared up, get your lead foot inbetween his legs and do whats called the 'hip clinch'.
You mentioned that before when talking about Andre Ward, could you expand on that a little?

Also, do you fancy doing a breakdown on Clev, I'd like to hear your thoughts
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #561
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
You mentioned that before when talking about Andre Ward, could you expand on that a little?

Also, do you fancy doing a breakdown on Clev, I'd like to hear your thoughts
Ward is a great example of it, mate. It'd be good if you could get a picture or even better a gif of it in his fight against Froch. It's a better look when Ward has Froch on the ropes. Squares him up on the inside and Froch's feet are so far apart.

I'll expand on it later...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #562
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Mosley once said about fighting in pocket 'fight side on'. Lot of guys square up and take shots doing so.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #563
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Fighting a Southpaw

However, there is some other techniques you can use to combat southpaws.

Firstly, you don't have to get your lead foot on the outside of theirs. As often southpaws are experts at keeping control of the lead foots, so its hard and distracting to try and control it, so you need another line of attack. When your lead foot is inside the opponents' your jab is in between their gloves and can travel straight to the jaw. It is a really effective punch against an aggressive southpaw, or a southpaw who fights quite squared up. Gilberto Roman shows us its uses in the first round here.
This is great advice. When I spar orthodox fighters I have the most trouble with guys who are willing to work on the inside of my lead foot. The guys that instantly try and stay outside are playing my game. The guys who work from the inside and make angles on you with the jab I find usually end up taking me out of my comfort zone, and can then start working to take the outside and start throwing right hands.

I always smile when people say that all you have to do to beat a southpaw is to keep your foot on the outside of him, as though it's this easy little trick, like when people say that if a shark tries to attack you all you have to do is punch it on the nose...

I also find that if you concede foot positioning but stay as side on as possible, a lot of southpaws (or in my case orthodox fighters) tends to square up a little to compensate and this can open up your own shots.
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #564
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Slip by squared on I meant in a general way, most fighters fight squared on. I for one, don't. But when you are inside its less orthodox and southpaw and much more about single shots, and anticipation than actual stance IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJFiasco View Post
This is great advice. When I spar orthodox fighters I have the most trouble with guys who are willing to work on the inside of my lead foot. The guys that instantly try and stay outside are playing my game. The guys who work from the inside and make angles on you with the jab I find usually end up taking me out of my comfort zone, and can then start working to take the outside and start throwing right hands.

I always smile when people say that all you have to do to beat a southpaw is to keep your foot on the outside of him, as though it's this easy little trick, like when people say that if a shark tries to attack you all you have to do is punch it on the nose...

I also find that if you concede foot positioning but stay as side on as possible, a lot of southpaws (or in my case orthodox fighters) tends to square up a little to compensate and this can open up your own shots.
Its the stuff thats less well-known that tends to work, its all about mixing things up against guys.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #565
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Loads wrong with thast from both of them. clevs elbows flare out before he throws anything straight being the most obvious thing. vince clev is about 7 inches too short to be doing pads for his son imo.

lots of shitty mayweather ish pad work too. crappy little uppercuts. pads being slapped into punches to make them crack etc etc
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #566
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post
Loads wrong with thast from both of them. clevs elbows flare out before he throws anything straight being the most obvious thing. vince clev is about 7 inches too short to be doing pads for his son imo.

lots of shitty mayweather ish pad work too. crappy little uppercuts. pads being slapped into punches to make them crack etc etc
Totally agree, there's some shocking habits going on there. Clev would throw his arm punches cos there was hardly any shots that had spite and any good technique. After finishing his punches he's got that usual trait that we all see lads in gym do which is bouncing back in straight line. His father doesn't even move him around or make him move away to an angle.

Spot on about the height as well, he's not the best on pads either. Get a younger taller fella in and stand on side and watch your kids flaws Vince. Or just swing a towel around....
Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #567
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Ward is a great example of it, mate. It'd be good if you could get a picture or even better a gif of it in his fight against Froch. It's a better look when Ward has Froch on the ropes. Squares him up on the inside and Froch's feet are so far apart.

I'll expand on it later...
I'm useless on a computer, posting youtube videos is the best I can do

Quote:
Totally agree, there's some shocking habits going on there. Clev would throw his arm punches cos there was hardly any shots that had spite and any good technique. After finishing his punches he's got that usual trait that we all see lads in gym do which is bouncing back in straight line. His father doesn't even move him around or make him move away to an angle.

Spot on about the height as well, he's not the best on pads either. Get a younger taller fella in and stand on side and watch your kids flaws Vince. Or just swing a towel around....
Vince is a bandana twirling fool, remember him calling 999 at the Bellew presser?

I cant stand the man
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #568
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Vince is a bandana twirling fool, remember him calling 999 at the Bellew presser?

I cant stand the man
I remember Bellew was pissed off when the police were called. What actually happened? Didn't gather much from the video apart from someone calling Vince a wanker.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #569
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
I'm useless on a computer, posting youtube videos is the best I can do

I cant stand the man
Yep i can't stand him either, Enzo dislikes him intensely and Enzo is one of nicest guys in sport.

He's the man that's holding his son back..
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #570
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
I remember Bellew was pissed off when the police were called. What actually happened? Didn't gather much from the video apart from someone calling Vince a wanker.
I think he felt threatened by some of Bellews crew & after being given some verbals he called the police & threatened to have the fight cancelled.
DrMo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum