boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #586
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Vince Cleverly is an absolutely ****e trainer.

He'd be slightly better (only slightly) if his son was a four foot nothing flyweight, so they'd be roughly the same size.

I didn't think it was actually possible but he's even worse as a cornerman, he's going to get his son badly knocked out one day, that's the bottom line.

Like Mand said, lots of Floyd and Roger about the padwork, but that appears to be one of the main elements of their training - whereas Floyd tends to do that kinda stuff for the cameras, and probably as a warm up/down drill.

Most of their best work is done on the bags. Quite often he'll be pounding away at the bag, whilst Roger just watches him.

I guess when you know your game as well as he does you don't really need a ''trainer'' as such. More a ''performance manager'' - someone that will pull you if you aren't working hard or making plenty of mistakes, and with Roger having technique pretty much nailed he can spot weaknesses in an opponent for them to use in the early rounds whilst Floyd himself makes the adjustments from round 3 or so onwards.

Cleverly has a lot of natural ability - he's supremely fit, has a good engine and plenty of stones. He also has absolutely shocking footwork, average technique and doesn't drive his punches home properly.

Unless the change is made we'll see more Murat-type performances, where he basically beats the **** out of an opponent until he's got no more, rather than the polished type displays that are within his capabilities.

He could learn a lot by just watching Bellew's performance in their fight, he was being taught a lesson for prolonged spells and got by on workrate and Bellew's late fade, which IMO was due to being tight at 175.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #587
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Hip clinch gif.

Watch the way Ward aligns his hips, gets his lead leg between Froch's wide apart legs, stays side on and drops his weight on him. This allows him to handcuff and smother opponents and also to slide under big shots. All because he's in great position and has the upperhand.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by slip&counter; 02-21-2012 at 11:25 AM.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #588
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Good post, Luke.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #589
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I could do better pad work myself.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #590
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

I think almost everyone who comments here could do a better job.

I'd bet the bulk of their technical training is on those pads too. It shows just how much damage pads can do in the wrong hands. If he's working them like that you can also be sure he ain't ganna be able to spot flaws. Some guys find it hard to see and correct flaws because they're basically working almost as hard as the fighter.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #591
CrocodileDundee
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Been watching a few Ricardo Lopez fights this week. I hadn't realised how technically skilled this guy was, smooth as silk, terrific footwork and a fantastic puncher whether it be in 1 or 2's or in combination. Such a shame that he wasn't a few pounds heavier and he'd surely be getting the accolades that he deserved.
CrocodileDundee is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #592
Evian McGirt
Drink some water baby!
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 775

Beat me to it re: Ward-Froch gif slip.

Good job you did, they turned out **** quality when I converted the vid. Pixelated like an 8-bit video game.

Mind me asking what you used to create the gifs? Software or an online converter?

Also, if we're talking about the effectiveness of the "hip clinch" what would be the ideal counter to that.

Is it a case of simply muscling your way out of the trap? Stepping outside of opponents leadfoot and turning him? Leaning your man back to create space then jabbing off?
Evian McGirt is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #593
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

@CrocodileDundee. Finito Lopez was technical perfection and it's very hard to find flaws in him. He is JM Marquez with power in both hands and better defence. HUGE fan of his. Not moving up to face the likes of Carbajal and Chiquita Gonzalez is really the only thing that hurts his legacy and stops him going on mount Rushmore. I don't know how he would've carried the weight and only if it's 3lbs, that's a lot in those lower weights and he was really sleek.

For me that doesn't hurt him THAT much. Some hold it against him and say his résumé is not good enough, which is a fair criticism and perhaps he should've moved up but we see what we see. Someone like Carbajal for example was with a different promoter. Moving up would've made him more heralded but what he did was enough for me. Decent enough résumé, if not the best. Technical perfection and dominance. Great fighter!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #594
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee View Post
Been watching a few Ricardo Lopez fights this week. I hadn't realised how technically skilled this guy was, smooth as silk, terrific footwork and a fantastic puncher whether it be in 1 or 2's or in combination. Such a shame that he wasn't a few pounds heavier and he'd surely be getting the accolades that he deserved.
Lopez is one of my favourite fighters to watch. His KO of Villamor was absolute technical brilliance, from set-up to execution.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #595
Moochie
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Not moving up to face the likes of Carbajal and Chiquita Gonzalez is really the only thing that hurts his legacy and stops him going on mount Rushmore. I don't know how he would've carried the weight and only if it's 3lbs, that's a lot in those lower weights and he was really sleek.
He was a huge Strawweight. Moving up wouldn't have effected him in the slightest. That said, those fights not coming off weren't his fault.

Edit: Did I use the right word? Is it "effected" or "affected"?
Moochie is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #596
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

That stuff about Ward is class, i always say it if i was a pro and not in camp for a fight i'd be in gym still but breaking my game down into technical blocks from footwork to offense and defence.

I remember saying about Khan should be in gym anyways straight after defeat, you see why Ward's developed the way he has. Doesn't train from fight to fight he trains for his career.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #597
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Hip clinch gif.

Watch the way Ward aligns his hips, gets his lead leg between Froch's wide apart legs, stays side on and drops his weight on him. This allows him to handcuff and smother opponents and also to slide under big shots. All because he's in great position and has the upperhand.

Great stuff, I wasnt a huge fan of Ward but the Froch fight really opened my eyes.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #598
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochie View Post
He was a huge Strawweight. Moving up wouldn't have effected him in the slightest. That said, those fights not coming off weren't his fault.

Edit: Did I use the right word? Is it "effected" or "affected"?
Effect is a noun: ie he was knocked out by the accumulated effect of his punching

Affect is a verb: ie 3lbs would have affected his performance
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #599
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Andre Ward Workout: This was posted 8 years ago.

MEDICINE BALL WARMUP
Shoulder/Core Prep
Hold a 10-lb ball with both hands, arms extended in front of you, and move it in 10 large clockwise circles. Then move it in 10 counterclockwise circles. Raise the ball above your head and repeat.
Medicine Ball Squat
Hold the ball behind your head with both hands and squat. Two sets of 20
Medicine Ball Calf Raise
Hold the ball behind your head and go up on tiptoe. Two sets of 20

PILATES
Crisscross
Lie on your back with hands clasped behind your head. Lift your legs so your thighs are perpendicular to the floor and your knees make a right angle. From this starting position bring your right knee toward your chest and extend left leg until it's straight, with the foot about a foot off the floor. At the same time raise your shoulders and rotate so that your left elbow almost touches your right knee. Return to starting position. Repeat with opposite knee/elbow. 15 each side

SPEED AND ENDURANCE
Treadmill Run
Begin with a one-minute jog at zero incline. Then do the following sprints, slashing the speed between sprints for 30-40 seconds to catch your breath.
8 mph at 5% incline Two 30-second sprints
8.5 mph at 7.5% Two 30-second sprints
9 mph at 10% Two 30-second sprints
9.5 mph at 11.5% Two 20-second sprints
10 mph at 13% Two 20-second sprints
10.5 mph at 15% Two 15-second sprints

Rubber Ball Hand-Speed Drill
Stand in the middle of a large, open room. Bounce a small superball on the floor and catch it on the first bounce. Repeat, but bounce it a little farther away or a little softer, so you have to move even quicker to catch it. Keep varying bounces. Five minutes

Speed Jump Rope
Go for maximum foot speed. Three three-minute rounds with one minute rest between each.

ShadowBoxing or Heavy Bag Work
Keep your hands and feet moving constantly. Three three-minute rounds with one minute rest between each. Alternate between the two on different workouts.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #600
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

“The whole idea is to train until you’re in an uncomfortable, painful situation,” says Hunter, who is Ward’s longtime trainer. “I use these situations in Andre’s training, so he knows he’s mentally prepared to handle anything he might encounter in the heat of combat.”

Ward performs these only once a week; training this intensely more than that puts him at risk of overtraining. So push yourself beyond the limit, but to dial back the intensity on other days to provide yourself necessary recovery time.

SUPERSET 1
Instructions: Perform 4 Supersets with 60 seconds res between

Log Runs

Holding 45-pound log or plate overhead, run 50 yard
Rest briefly
Keep performing 50-yard sprints until you can't hold weight overhead any longer
Medicine Ball Sledgehammer Chops

Get in athletic stance while holding med ball with both hands
Swing ball overhead, like you're swinging a sledgehammer
Forcefully throw ball down to ground
Repeat until form begins to suffer
Immediately move to Log Runs