boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #721
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10,847
vCash: 500
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9i_3eAuzI[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vFjr6T_Nks&feature=related[/ame]
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #722
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Cheers for that, Mand. (Btw, when do i start calling you 'Skills'?). Lol.

I've heard Manny talk about the improvements he's had to make with Wlad. He talked about how he had to work and work on making Wlad comfortable in the ring. Wlad use to do a lot of excercises without boxing being in them, He wasn't into actually boxing as part of excercises. He was big on the conditioning aspects but not the boxing aspects. He had to do a lot of repetitive work with him for hours on end. I think he's done a great job with him.

You can tell that Wlad is really not born to do this. He's just not natural. He flinches a lot and as you say pulls his head back at times. Manny has got the best out of him and manufactured things that protect his frailties. That dear in headlights look still comes out in Wlad from time to time. What was it Jay Z said? You are who you are playa, LOL!
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #723
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10,847
vCash: 500
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Cheers for that, Mand. (Btw, when do i start calling you 'Skills'?). Lol.

I've heard Manny talk about the improvements he's had to make with Wlad. He talked about how he had work and work on making Wlad comfortable in the ring. Wlad use to do a lot of excercises without boxing being in them, He wasn't into actually boxing as part of excercises. He was big on the conditioning aspects but not the boxing aspects. He had to do a lot of repetive work with him for hours on end. I think he's done a great job with him.

You can tell that Wlad is really not born to do this. He's just not natural. He flinches a lot and as you say pulls his head back at times. Manny has got the best out of him and manufactured things that protect his frailties. That dear in headlights look still comes out in Wlad from time to time. What was it Jay Z said? You are who you are playa, LOL!
Mand will live on forever Slip. 20 months left, no appeals no early release like Jeffro got. I'm not that privileged i'm serving my time but it's comfy .

Yep totally agree, i remember when i first saw him he was blasting guys out then soon as someone could have a go back he looked scared stiff and was beaten. For him to become so at ease with his work is great evidence of the work of Mr.Steward. He's a man who believes in repetition and the basics and that's what Wlad needed Basics!.

I've heard of Manny making him do pads for 3 hours IIRC? on first session because he needed to 'drill it out' of Wlad. I always tell kids old habits die hard so imagine training a man who had real bad ones at top level.

What Manny has done is so simple, it's what a lot of fighters lack simplicity. Many tall fighters can't fight tall and give up all the advantages. Don't get me wrong i think Wlad's come into his prime at a time when HW boxing is lacking quality but he's head and shoulders above his foes.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #724
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

If you watch a lot of Manny's padwork, he always seems to do that with his head, as if he's been hit
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #725
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Ward is a joy to watch. Probabily my favourite fighter right now. You just don't see some of the stuff he does often in todays game. He's a varitable smorgasbord of good techinques and little tricks.

He blinds you with his lead hand and will hit you on the blind side of the referee.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



He slides under over the top stuff.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



He always tucks his chin and opens his glove to block punches. Staying compact at all times. Not losing shape or form.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Watch how he instictively knows to block what's coming back after he's finished his attack and getting out. Some fighters just admire their work and get caught. They don't do anything going out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


When i saw him doing these little things. Even if the opposition where not that good. I said to myself this kid is special. I anointed him after the Miranda fight.
This thread is just gold. I don't know what the hell you're doing slip, You should be training fighters already, with this kind of knowledge of the game.

Can you (or anyone else) expand on this comment here?

Quote:
He blinds you with his lead hand and will hit you on the blind side of the referee
as in why did Ward hit Froch on the blind side of the ref? It looked like he could've just as easily hit Froch with the right hand.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #726
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
This thread is just gold. I don't know what the hell you're doing slip, You should be training fighters already, with this kind of knowledge of the game.

Can you (or anyone else) expand on this comment here?



as in why did Ward hit Froch on the blind side of the ref? It looked like he could've just as easily hit Froch with the right hand.

Cheers, Ero.

He did that because there would've been more chance of the ref calling him up on the blinding and then hitting. So he basically hooked off it and it was also much quicker and required less motion to do so with the left.

The fighter who hits opponents the most on the blindside of the ref and knows how to do it so well is Bernard Hopkins. He'll hit guys on the hips in clinches where refs can't see. Ward is not quite Hopkins yet in terms of tricks of the trade, but he's getting there.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #727
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Cheers, Ero.

He did that because there would've been more chance of the ref calling him up on the blinding and then hitting. So he basically hooked off it and it was also much quicker and required less motion to do so with the left.

The fighter who hits opponents the most on the blindside of the ref and knows how to do it so well is Bernard Hopkins. He'll hit guys on the hips in clinches where refs can't see. Ward is not quite Hopkins yet in terms of tricks of the trade, but he's getting there.
I think he also went with the left because Froch would be anticipating the right. A lot of guy's when they 'touch' or 'control' an opponent with one hand, will generally load up with the other. Ward's a smart dude.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #728
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Mand will live on forever Slip. 20 months left, no appeals no early release like Jeffro got. I'm not that privileged i'm serving my time but it's comfy .

Yep totally agree, i remember when i first saw him he was blasting guys out then soon as someone could have a go back he looked scared stiff and was beaten. For him to become so at ease with his work is great evidence of the work of Mr.Steward. He's a man who believes in repetition and the basics and that's what Wlad needed Basics!.

I've heard of Manny making him do pads for 3 hours IIRC? on first session because he needed to 'drill it out' of Wlad. I always tell kids old habits die hard so imagine training a man who had real bad ones at top level.

What Manny has done is so simple, it's what a lot of fighters lack simplicity. Many tall fighters can't fight tall and give up all the advantages. Don't get me wrong i think Wlad's come into his prime at a time when HW boxing is lacking quality but he's head and shoulders above his foes.
Wlad the way he's developed kind of reminds me of Monzon a little now (and that's a great compliment to Wlad). Monzon had a lot more moxie though. As you say though horrific era he's in.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #729
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

I really like fighters who are deceptive because for the most part it means their intangibles are off the charts and it makes it hard to judge their rhyhtm. Going back to Monzon he's probabily the best example of a fighter being deceptive and MUCH better than he looks. If someone is watching Monzon for the first time they could be forgiven for thinking "what's the fuss all about". Could even call him 'limited' or looking 'ordinary' if one didn't know better. But he's a classic example of a fighter not neccesarily having to look aesthetically pleasing or have any 'special effects' to become great and to be super effective. If you they thrive on the basics and you have something special inside.

Monzon technically controlled range really well and set up his punches. But the best part about him was his temperament. Just awesome mentality and killer instinct. That moxie that you either have or don't. He never allowed his opponents to gain confidence because he was so on point and never flustered.

I have a penchant for movie ****ogies. There is a film in which a young man has an imaginary friend who is a super spy called Jack. He gets this imaginary friend from his love of role playing games. Someone one day gets murdered and the young man is witness to it all. Before the person who gets killed dies he gives the young man a game called 'Cloak and Dagger'.

No one believes him when he tells everyone what happened because all the evidence is gone from the scene. All sorts of things start happening to this young man and it soon becomes clear that someone is trying to get him. And the only person who can save him is that imaginary friend, Jack. All these things happening to him seem like a fantasy but it's real in his mind and just hidden and surreptitiously on going. That's Carlos Monzon's work. Cloak and Dagger.

Last edited by slip&counter; 02-24-2012 at 08:31 AM.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #730
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,398
vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

That's one of the maddest ****ogies I've ever heard. But the actual phrase Cloak and Dagger, yeah, I agree
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #731
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
I think he also went with the left because Froch would be anticipating the right. A lot of guy's when they 'touch' or 'control' an opponent with one hand, will generally load up with the other. Ward's a smart dude.
Yep. But he could've hit him with anything at that point. Froch was pretty much blinded and didn't know what to expect and so open for any shot.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #732
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
That's one of the maddest ****ogies I've ever heard. But the actual phrase Cloak and Dagger, yeah, I agree
I think it sums up his life, career and fight game pretty well.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #733
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,398
vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

I don't But I respect you for trying. Just a bit too out there, and this coming from a self-confessed weirdo.

As for Monzon, he had that effect on me (and the Wlad comparisons are spot on, though
Obviously Wlad is completely unnatural) but once you realise what he's trying to do, his rhythm building into complete dominance becomes captivating.

A true ring general.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #734
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

You have to learn to read between the lines with stuff like that. lol
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #735
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,398
vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

I love my ****ogies Slip, that one was MENTAL
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015