boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #841
Jim Bowen
MARVELOUS
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Bill, Spearmint, Slip. Seeing as this appears to be where you look most, do any of you have a preference on fights to predict this week?

I PM'd you the list the other day I think, Martinez and JuanMa fights are already gone, but if you fancy any of the others, or just pick one at random and send me your decision I'd appreciate it. Saves me having to give you all a random one tomorrow. Nice one lads.
Jim Bowen is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #842
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

The X's and O's of Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor.

Strengths.

- Frenetic Pace and positive body rhythm. Pryor's biggest attribute was his positive body rhythm that was hard to read and awesome pace he set. He was very urgent without giving off the impression of being reckless or desparate. What he did was burn opponents legs out. That frenetic energy zapping mental pressure causes you to fight or flee. He had a style and body rhythm that forced you to fight. You had to hurt or at least back him up to beat him. He make it hard for you to just spin and turn him all night.

- Chin and heart. He had a brillient chin and resilience. With his style he had too. But he didn't just wade forward taking shots all night. His slip game was very good too. He had a nack of making subtle movements with his head, slip a shot and getting his combinations off.

- Footwork. The Hawks footwork was underrated. He had a nice bounce on the step. It was actually a massive tool in him getting inside or evading straight punches. He also did well in stepping across. His feet were key in allowing him to invade the space of the opponent.

- Supreme Conditioning and mental strength. When he prepared well he was super conditioned. He had the same mentality to training as Marvin Hagler. Savage! and he had great resolve. Had to kill him to win type of attitude and he made almost EVERYBODY fight.

- Short punches. His punches were suprisingly compact for the most part. Even in combination. He also released them quickly. He had that quick punch release which was crucial to his style and size.

Weaknesses.

- Open to certain punches. Pryor was a sucker for particular punches. Especially the straight right hand and the short left hook.

- Alot of bad habits. He had this really bad habit of raising his head like he was looking at the ceiling, especially when he was throwing and even more so when those punches were in bunches. He didn't tuck his chin very well and he would even sometimes pull it back and this made him very easy to find with a right hand or a left hook in this situation.

The other bad habit he had was he squared up at times and didn't slice his target. He also could be a little cold in the beginning. He needed to warm up but once he started he wouldn't stop.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #843
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bowen View Post
Bill, Spearmint, Slip. Seeing as this appears to be where you look most, do any of you have a preference on fights to predict this week?

I PM'd you the list the other day I think, Martinez and JuanMa fights are already gone, but if you fancy any of the others, or just pick one at random and send me your decision I'd appreciate it. Saves me having to give you all a random one tomorrow. Nice one lads.
You choose the fight for me, Jim. I don't mind.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #844
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
I'd love to see a Curtly Ambrose slower ball if you've got footage, he must have been lethal with it. Every ball the batsman would be expecting to have his head taken off, so seeing something at 70mph would **** you up.

Used to love watching him as a kid.

Sorry to digress.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFJOdUvES_U&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD59DD6B642D3BA0B[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0P4Jaki2U[/ame]
Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #845
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
This is my favourite ''other one''.

Masterful.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Sorry to be picky but that is a leg-break that goes straight-on

As for Khan; for me he looked far and away at his best in that Judah performance. Perhaps he was wary of Judah's power but his work was more measured and patient and he kept Judah at the end of a long 1-2 for most of the fight. Occasional flurries but overall he looked great.
El Greeno is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #846
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Slip, Pryor was ridiculously open against southpaws.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #847
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greeno View Post

As for Khan; for me he looked far and away at his best in that Judah performance. Perhaps he was wary of Judah's power but his work was more measured and patient and he kept Judah at the end of a long 1-2 for most of the fight. Occasional flurries but overall he looked great.
So it is
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #848
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

what has become of this masterpiece of a thread?....cricket?
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #849
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
what has become of this masterpiece of a thread?....cricket?

My apologies. No more we promise.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #850
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Slip, Pryor was ridiculously open against southpaws.
Yep. You can see from the Kameda KD that he was open to straight back hand shots from either stance. Especially if the guy was tall. That's a great illustration of how he used to pull his head up when throwing punches.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #851
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greeno View Post

Because Judah wasn't punching back and was entirely defensive. Zab has never liked any sort of pressure, he just ends up posing. Khan was missing most of his shots early on, but Judah never countered them to dissuade him doing it again and again.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #852
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

A certain poster is now in the process of training amateurs from junior to senior.And from what i can tell, in my opinion he is SOLID in the fundementals, starting them from scratch even though some are very experienced. He will be chief seconds to the main trainer and theres a lot of experience people in the gym so he is just delighted to have been invited to have been asked and will take it from there. He has also been in this thread about twice

Good Luck Bro
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #853
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Khan seems to want to fight like Pacquiao, which is never gonna be that effective for him.
Everyone in that gym is trying to fight like Manny. Especially Khan and Linares, But they can't pull it off because they haven't got his attributes to get away with certain things. Pacquaio has a very good chin and insane stamina which the others don't. He's a special talent. Plus he doesn't waste motion like they do.

They try to emulate Manny but give off the impression that they're running and ragged when they are pressed and trap themselves in bad positions. Especially Khan. Manny when someone walks to him steps around them in small circles. Manny also tears you to pieces with his power if you press him and that deters opponents, even when they're on the inside Manny can still get punches off and make you feel his power which makes it hard to take advantage of his inside flaws. Khan thinks he's boxing but he's not really. When someone walks to him he just takes shots.

The alarming thing for them is they can't steal a rest without taking a beating. They just can't find a breather in a fight. And that includes Manny. Some fighters can find a rest in a fight without getting hit. Bernard Hopkins and Mayweather are masters at it.

What happens with fighters out of Freddie's gym right now is they just put the earmuffs on and take punches when they're trying to rest and catch a breather. Manny has the chin and lungs to survive it but someone like Khan and Linares haven't.

I don't know whether Roach is slipping because of his health and he can't communicate things to his fighters especially in the corner inbetween rounds, but it's something he needs to look at. He trained two exellent inside fighters who were relaxed as anything in Marlon Starling and James Toney so maybe he should bring them in for some work with his fighters.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #854
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
A certain poster is now in the process of training amateurs from junior to senior.And from what i can tell, in my opinion he is SOLID in the fundementals, starting them from scratch even though some are very experienced. He will be chief seconds to the main trainer and theres a lot of experience people in the gym so he is just delighted to have been invited to have been asked and will take it from there. He has also been in this thread about twice

Good Luck Bro
That's great to hear. All the best to him.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #855
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Yep. You can see from the Kameda KD that he was open to straight back hand shots from either stance. Especially if the guy was tall. That's a great illustration of how he used to pull his head up when throwing punches.
And against Hyun he was off balance against a helpless opponent. He just seems unsure of how to approach lefties and it ****s him.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum