Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #976
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJFiasco View Post
Has anybody read this article about Manny Pacquiao's bizaarely huge wrists (seriously!) and the effects of large bones on stamina ? I found the stuff about red blood cells and bone marrow fascinating, and it's something people never mention in regards to fitness levels.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Yeah I've read that before & although its interesting I dont agree with the idea that wrist(skeleton) size can be equated to punching power. The author uses only 3 examples which fit his idea (Pac, Tyson & Louis) but there have been plenty of slim guys amongst the greatest ever punchers.
DrMo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #977
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Yeah I've read that before & although its interesting I dont agree with the idea that wrist(skeleton) size can be equated to punching power. The author uses only 3 examples which fit his idea (Pac, Tyson & Louis) but there have been plenty of slim guys amongst the greatest ever punchers.
Yeah, I thought the power element was a bit of a shot in the dark on the authors part, but the stamina point seems like good science. Bigger bones, more bone marrow, better facility to supply muscles etc.

The modern idea of strength and conditioning seems to be that you get stronger and fitter, when really the two principles have to be balanced. Stronger/bulkier guys are working harder all the time, and so even with increased fitness levels they are burning more energy, draining the tank quicker.

I think a lot of the 15 round fighters were much better conditioned, because they weren't as concerned with the strength element. At the end of the day two 160 pound men both have the same amount of mass to fling around, and more often than not, the man who appears stronger in a clinch etc is just the man who has got his body/feet in a better position to use his mass. Speed and power don't correlate with strength amongst fighters IMO, and so I think the idea that boxers dedicate so much time to "strength" is a bit backwards to me. In my gym there is hardly anything in any of the circuits that a 9yr old boy couldn't do in terms of strength.
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #978
Black2023
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
It is better because it replicates the stop-start nature of a contest. But it doesn't make today's fighters any stronger down the stretch.
Its better training, what your talking is will to win, will to train...which clearly from evidence...alot of fighters dont train..
Black2023 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #979
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJFiasco View Post
Yeah, I thought the power element was a bit of a shot in the dark on the authors part, but the stamina point seems like good science. Bigger bones, more bone marrow, better facility to supply muscles etc.

The modern idea of strength and conditioning seems to be that you get stronger and fitter, when really the two principles have to be balanced. Stronger/bulkier guys are working harder all the time, and so even with increased fitness levels they are burning more energy, draining the tank quicker.

I think a lot of the 15 round fighters were much better conditioned, because they weren't as concerned with the strength element. At the end of the day two 160 pound men both have the same amount of mass to fling around, and more often than not, the man who appears stronger in a clinch etc is just the man who has got his body/feet in a better position to use his mass. Speed and power don't correlate with strength amongst fighters IMO, and so I think the idea that boxers dedicate so much time to "strength" is a bit backwards to me. In my gym there is hardly anything in any of the circuits that a 9yr old boy couldn't do in terms of strength.
this is a great post. I have been told a few times I am strong and I am really not. i think I am better at using my weight than others. in terms of bench pressing I prob could only do 60kgs. squat **** all. dead i would put my back out. but i havent had problems moving someone around the ring unless they really fight it. wehich is fine by me as wrestling with your opponent drains you.
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #980
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

The left hook off a right hand (Bob Foster)....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I love the way he rotates his hips & uses his whole body to perfectly deliver the shot
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #981
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black2023 View Post
Its better training, what your talking is will to win, will to train...which clearly from evidence...alot of fighters dont train..
No, I'm talking the ability to maintain a consistent workrate (regardless of style) over 12 rounds. There are not many that can IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #982
JukeboxTimebomb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Juan Manuel Marquez has mastered the uppercut. Most people have one or two tricks with it like they can throw it up close repeatedly (Hatton, Rios) or the walk somebody onto a big one (Zab) but Marquez doesn't just have the one trick with it he can use it any way he likes in every situation from either hand. He even throws them while moving forward.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFWg0azAcA[/ame]
JukeboxTimebomb is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #983
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Bob Foster is interesting, DrMo. Most of us tend to equate the shorter pressure fighters as left hookers like Ruben Olivares and Joe Frazier. And the tall stalkers as the right hand bombers like Tommy Hearns. But it doesn’t always work that way. Bob Foster was a tall stalker and the left hook was his money punch. Rocky Marciano and Mike Tyson were shorter pressure guys but they favoured the right hand. Interesting...

Last edited by slip&counter; 03-15-2012 at 07:06 PM.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #984
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Jumping Rope.

More important than people realise. Seems just a fun thing to do, but it increases endurance, can improve your footwork and rhythm and it's a very good cardio workout. It can also be more fun then other exercises and not as mundane forcing to get more out of yourself. Also good for warm ups and warm downs.

The best guys i've seen jumping rope are Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran. Just sick the way they did it.

Ray Leonard giving a lesson to Oscar on jumping rope.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnE9c4W7AaQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_NT2Td2WIc[/ame]
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #985
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Bob Foster is interesting, DrMo. Most of us tend to equate the shorter pressure fighters as left hookers like Ruben Olivares and Joe Frazier. And the tall stalkers as the right hand bombers like Tommy Hearns. But it doesn’t always work that way. Bob Foster was a tall stalker and the left hook was his money punch. Rocky Marciano and Mike Tyson were shorter pressure guys but they favored the right hand. Interesting...
Foster was unique, I've been reading accounts of his fights that I cant find footage of & he ruined guys with his right hand as well. That left hook he had was a thing of beauty, he was bombing out top rated contenders in sparring when he was still an amatuer.

Horrific power in both hands but so economical & patient with his work, Ive been watching a lot of Foster recently & I'm a big fan. For a tall fighter he could be pretty slick & had very good handspeed & accuracy.

Tyson & Marciano were both guys who relied a lot on torque but were more like sluggers than pressure fighters imo. They punched from extreme positions & odd angles which was vital as they both had short arms.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #986
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

I can skip like a mofo (no homo)
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #987
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Foster also had a top 10 all time great jab and fought at a very consistant pace and dominating pattern. One big fault he had was leaning too far to his right in a exaggerated manner.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #988
miguel2010
His hands are his weapons
ESB Addict

vCash: 756

Had a go on the double end bag straight after work tnite, still in work clothes big jumper and fleece wooly hat etc.....Smacked the shit out of it for 15-20 mins and I was sweating buckets, face and neck were red as ****!

Gonna do that every night now, in work gear.
miguel2010 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #989
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel2010 View Post
Had a go on the double end bag straight after work tnite, still in work clothes big jumper and fleece wooly hat etc.....Smacked the shit out of it for 15-20 mins and I was sweating buckets, face and neck were red as ****!

Gonna do that every night now, in work gear.
Good stuff, mate. That's impressive that you can work the floor to ceiling like that. You must be real skilled with good hand eye coordination. I always have to work it slowly with single shots. Great tool.

Btw, why in work gear?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #990
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

One thing you don't see a lot of guys doing is dropping their weight. Drop your weight when you're on the inside attacking and defending and even when at range and trying to depending against the incoming. What i mean by this is just basically bending your knees and just let your weight go down on it by dropping your hips. This really helps you stay balanced if you block a punch and it's really useful on the inside and stops you from being moved around. It gives a solid base. Sometimes you see guys even when they block a punch with their guard they still get moved off balance and it's because they don't bend the knees and drop their weight and give themselves that solid base. Peterson did it very well against Khan.

This is a pic of Henry Armstrong vs. Baby Arizmendi. Both dropping their weight, but Arizmendi (on the right) taking up a better position.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by slip&counter; 03-17-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum