Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #1081
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
If you're throwing a left handed punch. More of your weight should be on your left side and especially your left foot. Same for the right side. Then as you rotate you shift your weight to the other side.

you should take a look at me mate in the gym. im left handed, but basically grew up doing a lot of stuff right handed, golf, tennis etc. then i started boxing and basically im a half right half southpaw. my straight left is good, my left hook is ok, my right hook is maybe my best shot, but leaves me off balance, i cant upper cut or hook to the body good with the left, but can really well with the right, but my right straight out of a conventional stance is soft as shite and inaccurate
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #1082
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
you should take a look at me mate in the gym. im left handed, but basically grew up doing a lot of stuff right handed, golf, tennis etc. then i started boxing and basically im a half right half southpaw. my straight left is good, my left hook is ok, my right hook is maybe my best shot, but leaves me off balance, i cant upper cut or hook to the body good with the left, but can really well with the right, but my right straight out of a conventional stance is soft as shite and inaccurate
When you're throwing the right hand are you crossing over a lot, mate? Either you're crossing over too much or overextending and coursing you to go off balance.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #1083
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
When you're throwing the right hand are you crossing over a lot, mate? Either you're crossing over too much or overextending and coursing you to go off balance.
i think its something to do with my lead foot, when i hook in a conventional stance it seems more weight is on my front foot meaning i can get the timing of the shift in my feet and hips wheras on my right it looks very manufactured (to the point the coach in the gym was actually holding parts of my body as I was throwing it in the mirror) and because of my weight being distributed badly my hook turns into a quasi upper cutt / hook.

its not like im gona be a world champion anyway haha but it will make me feel better when im shadow boxing at the gym whilst the 9 year olds on either side put my technique to shame
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #1084
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
i think its something to do with my lead foot, when i hook in a conventional stance it seems more weight is on my front foot meaning i can get the timing of the shift in my feet and hips wheras on my right it looks very manufactured (to the point the coach in the gym was actually holding parts of my body as I was throwing it in the mirror) and because of my weight being distributed badly my hook turns into a quasi upper cutt / hook.

its not like im gona be a world champion anyway haha but it will make me feel better when im shadow boxing at the gym whilst the 9 year olds on either side put my technique to shame
Ahh, the old fighting too heavy off the front foot flaw, that's very common. Don't worry about that mate. I've seen even pro's doing that. Very good ones at that.

Try to improve your balance.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #1085
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

My right hand stings, my jab is sharp.

My left hook makes Paulie Malignaggi look like Julian Jackson
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #1086
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
Out of interest how what happens if you are lopsided in that respect. personally, I am right handed and right footed but I actually have more power in my left for some reason, I box southpaw as well just as its more comfortable for me and there isn't much difference between switching stances as I did a few months working orthadox just to see if there was any difference.

So my left arm and right leg are the stronger limbs but my right arm is far off. my left leg is way off.
I'll get back to you on that, mate. It requires deep thought.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #1087
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
My right hand stings, my jab is sharp.

My left hook makes Paulie Malignaggi look like Julian Jackson
It doesn't matter though, Flea. When you've got a legendary chin like you have. Walk through EVERYTHING. Granite!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #1088
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

It's eroding mate And now I'm moving into the World of knees, kicks and ground and pound, I'm planning on converting to an ultra-negative ground control based style
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #1089
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I'm more like an orthodox Rendall Munroe, good dig to the body but naff all else.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #1090
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Luke has seen the chin in action. He'll tell his grandkids someday that he saw a 'prime' ATG chin in the flesh.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #1091
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The Pie eating... Triad beating... Undisputed king of ESB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
Out of interest how what happens if you are lopsided in that respect. personally, I am right handed and right footed but I actually have more power in my left for some reason, I box southpaw as well just as its more comfortable for me and there isn't much difference between switching stances as I did a few months working orthadox just to see if there was any difference.

So my left arm and right leg are the stronger limbs but my right arm is far off. my left leg is way off.

I've trained a friend like that recently - it's obviously very akward but I just told him to keep his limbs as loose as possible (which you should do to anyway really) and try not to think consciously about it too much if possible - after months of practice he seems to be alright in that area now.

I don't think there is much you can do about other than practice and get used to it.
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #1092
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

I think right-handed southpaws are more common these days than left-handed orthodox
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #1093
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The Pie eating... Triad beating... Undisputed king of ESB

Whe I turn southpaw I have so much snap in my left cross even though my right is my strong hand.
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #1094
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Just returning to the Leonard/Pryor thing fellas. Check this vid out (start from the 11:30 mark). Pryor admitting he was offered the Leonard fight and refused a career high payday. Notice also that he's flanked by Leonards former trainer Dave Jacobs, who knows just how good Ray Leonard is and advises Pryor to stay at 140 or even go back down to 135.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1G8ZBnglxI[/ame]
Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #1095
MyName
Simon Adebisi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 7331

I think it should be well known about this part of the Leonard/Pryor affair.

Leonard certainly didn't duck him as some continue to say.
MyName is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum