Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Bill Conn in today's boxing enviorment....How great would he be?

I gotta be honest, I was outraged by Chavez coming into the ring 21lbs over the middleweight limit the other night. He's a decent fighter but I've never been overly impressed by him. It's just my opinion but I think he's been coddled by his father's great name and genuinely lucky for the current state of boxing and it's day before weigh in policy. If he had to weigh in the same day I highly doubt he would even have a paper title at 168 or 175, which is the more likely weight he'd be forced to fight at.

Anyway, it got me thinking of Billy Conn since neither had an amateur background and how Conn would fare in todays game with day before weight ins and multiple weight classes.

The more I thought about it the more I came to realize Conn would at the very least be a titlist at 154, 160, 168, 175 and cruiserweight and probably the universally recognized champion in at least a few of them considering the array of great fighters he either beat or was highly competitive with at 160, 175 and heavyweight. Zivic, Dundee, Yarosz, Krieger, Corbett III, Apostoli, Pastor, Lesnivich, Savold, Barlund, Zale, and of course the great Joe Louis.

Both Conn and Chavez took the road less traveled by turning pro with no amateur experience. The difference is Chavez's road has been paved with gold and he has GPS guiding his every turn. Conn's road wasn't paved at all and was filled with pitfalls and dangerous corners to navigate.

Conn was great because he was willing to fight other great fighters and more times than not he beat them. Were he fighting today he'd be being touted as a top 10 all time great for covering so many weight classes.

My question is how great do you think he'd be if he fought today and under boxing's current circumstances?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Bill Conn in today's boxing enviorment....How great would he be?

It depends, does he get fights, the right fights, does he get protected or thrown in with, does he get fights at the last miniute or does he get chances to prepare? Does he suffer long periods of inactivity because he's waiting for a mandatory or can't get a fight?

People think today's fighters have it easy and the likes of Chavez Jr certainly do. But many fighters get ruined by being frozen out, being avoided, not getting fights or getting the wrong stylistic fights and then having periods of inactivity.

The Chavez situation is everything that's wrong with boxing and he's a protected fraudulent hype job, which isn't entirely his own fault but his use of diuretics and skipping drugs tests because he's dirty is his fault

OK so now let's assume he gets the fights, does he campaign at his natural division or drain down in order to not have a size disadvantage? Let's say he starts as a 154lb-160lbs fighter and somehow he gets a shot at Mayweather and cuts water to make the WW weight limit. I don't think the young Conn wins that, no way. At LMW he could pick up a belt, he'd beat Cotto, Alvarez I actually rate highly and he may not win that. Let's say he peaks at 168lbs as he did, he can still drain down to 160lbs easily enough and fight Martinez, this would be his clowning glory because I think he wins. He can hopefully end Chavez Jrs career. Then he can step up and fight Ward, but Ward will be bigger, faster and technically pretty good and he'd probably get bullied here. Does he goto LHW as a 168lb fighter to fight 185lb+ men? As his manager I wouldn't allow him too.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Conn was one of the all time greats...he almost beat a prime Joe Louis in 1941...he'd do fine today...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Conn
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

He'd probably win a lot more titles, but would that really make him any greater than he was in his own era ?

He had some good competition to excel against in his own era.
He's one of the best ever.

The only thing that might have benefitted his career now is there's no world war (... well, last time i checked the news there wasn't ).
Conn is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Were he given the chance, he would school all the light heavies, B-Hop included. But his management would probably fall in line with the cautious, tepid matchmaking that rules so much of this game, so perhaps we would be waiting till he was well into his 30's before a career defining victory came about.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Were he given the chance, he would school all the light heavies, B-Hop included. But his management would probably fall in line with the cautious, tepid matchmaking that rules so much of this game, so perhaps we would be waiting till he was well into his 30's before a career defining victory came about.
He'd more than likely beat Hopkins, but nobody is 'schooling' him.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
He'd more than likely beat Hopkins, but nobody is 'schooling' him.
Hopkins, at this age, has to cherry pick his opponents and still has moments of extreme frailty. I would take the BHop from just a few years ago not to get "schooled".
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
darling dame
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think Billy would win some LH belts, why isnt he mentioned with ATG???
darling dame is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
steve w
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Great then, greater today!
steve w is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Hopkins, at this age, has to cherry pick his opponents and still has moments of extreme frailty. I would take the BHop from just a few years ago not to get "schooled".
This is all true minus the cherry-picking nonsense. He continues to seek out the best fighters in his weight range.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Regardless of the era, he would become one of the greatest fighters who ever lived.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Hopkins, at this age, has to cherry pick his opponents.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #13
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Probably wins any title he wants from mw to cw.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

He'd be champ at 168 and 175.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
efrenpete

I think, given his age when reaching the top and improvements in sports science and nutrition, he would be a size bigger than he was back then, without necessarily sacrificing his speed and mobility.
efrenpete is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum