Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather ducking Kostya Tszyu

Tszyu was paid really good money to face Hatton in Manchester.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Joe_MacKenzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 325

Sergio Martinez: "Chicken Floyd won't fight me" (fight hype article)

"Chicken" Floyd chose the faded, smaller Cotto (who is not the same after the beatings he took from Plasterito and Pacquiao) over Sergio.

Floyd protects his "0" like a nun protects her virginity.
Joe_MacKenzie is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
Stinky gloves
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
Floyd fought Demarcus Corley 05-22-2004 (first fight at 140)
Kostya fought Sharmba Mitchell 11-06-2004 (after postponement from injury)
Kostya loses to Ricky Hatton 06-04-2005 (In mandatory defense. Retires afterward)
Floyd fought Henry Bruseles 01-22-2005 (coming off longest layoff of career at the time)

Now tell me, when would this fight have tooken place?
right there between November 2004 and June 2005 (during Floyd's longest layoff of his career at the time and when Tszyu still had the time before fighting his mandatory ... FLoyd could fight Tszyu instead Bruseles.

It is not that Floyd had to fight Tszyu ...
but if Floyd wants something he usually have it ....
so no fight means no will and this means at least unintentional ducking.
Stinky gloves is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
MaliBua
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
Some would argue that Floyd only called him out knowing the fight was impossible to be made.

I'm not one of those, but it is easy to suggest.

I am litereally laughing for his fans need to apologise Floyd for Not fighting, this and this and this and that guy.
MaliBua is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_MacKenzie View Post

"Chicken" Floyd chose the faded, smaller Cotto (who is not the same after the beatings he took from Plasterito and Pacquiao) over Sergio.

gtfo

“I’m focused 100% on Matthew Macklin, and I’m not interested in anything else. Floyd had enough time to reach a deal. Anyway, if he wants the fight he knows who he has to speak with. I said 150 and I will keep my promise. The same way I ask Hopkins and Ward [to meet at] a catch-weight, I don’t have problems in fighting at Jr. Middleweight.Talk is cheap. Fight or shut up. November would be a good month. I would have enough time to reach 150 and you could be recovered from your holidays"

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky gloves View Post
right there between November 2004 and June 2005 (during Floyd's longest layoff of his career at the time and when Tszyu still had the time before fighting his mandatory ... FLoyd could fight Tszyu instead Bruseles.

It is not that Floyd had to fight Tszyu ...
but if Floyd wants something he usually have it ....
so no fight means no will and this means at least unintentional ducking.
But Kostya just fought in November and then he made his mandatory defense in June
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
Concrete
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tszyu was a bigger star in the game then Mayweather during this time. If Tszyu would have demanded that fight he could have probably got it.
Concrete is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #23
KounterKing
Prospect
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_MacKenzie View Post

Thats funny I also remember sergio saying this...

'I've said yesterday, today, and I'll say tomorrow that the only real champion that will fight Sergio Martinez is Floyd Mayweather'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] i g h t h y p e.com/pages/content11619.html

still holding on to what sergio says?
KounterKing is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
iuiubibi
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliBua View Post

I am litereally laughing for his fans need to apologise Floyd for Not fighting, this and this and this and that guy.
Floyd Ko'd the guy who made the most overrated fighter in esb history quit.
iuiubibi is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Mayweather and Tszyu weren't gonna fight after Tszyu beat Mitchell again in November 2004.

Mayweather was about to fight in his second straight eliminator bout for Gatti's WBC belt. With Gatti being an HBO fight, it was both an easier fight to make and win.

Plus, Tszyu was already negotiating with Hatton not long after the Mitchell rematch. Tszyu was demanding a big payday and got it, but he had to face Hatton in Manchester to get it.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #26
slender4
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Mayweather ducking Jake LaMotta!
slender4 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #27
MaliBua
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuiubibi View Post
Floyd Ko'd the guy who made the most overrated fighter in esb history quit.
I appreciate your intergrity sir. Unusual honestry by Money May fan.
MaliBua is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
Stinky gloves
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
But Kostya just fought in November and then he made his mandatory defense in June
that was 7 months and someone just counted that the same 7 months were
the biggest Floyd's layoff to date. 3 months is completely enough for the fight
to happen and it could take place in mid February 2005 ... just enough for Tsyzu
to fight his mandatory afterwards.

in general it seems that Floyd have a blueprint of ducking by having big layoff
... just waiting what happens and just before the window for a big fight opens
he is setting up a phoney fight just in case so he can always say ...
"look I can't fight you now, I had big layoff and now I'm already booked for a tune up"
Stinky gloves is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
Joe_MacKenzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by KounterKing View Post
still holding on to what sergio says?
Sergio is fighting Macklin, but his first choice was Floyd or Chavez Jr., who both ducked him. Interview with Sergio:

Quote:
On March 17th at Madison Square [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], Sergio Martinez will look [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] his fifth consecutive [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] against Matthew Macklin for the WBC Diamond Middleweight title. ‘Maravilla’ talks about Macklin, Barker, boxing politics and the continued frustration at not landing a super-fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Manny Pacquiao.

LF: First of all how’s preparation going for the fight against Matthew Macklin?

SM: Everything is turning out as planned. As in the last fight, I am training in Oxnard, California with my trainer Pablo Sarmiento and the collaboration of Russ Anbers. I think we are doing great work.

LF: What were the other options on the table and how frustrated are you at not landing a lucrative fight?

SM: Well, Sampson (Lewkowicz) and Lou (Di Bella) are dealing with all of this, but I can tell you that the main option was Julio Cesar Chávez Jr. Everybody knows what happened, so Macklin was the best option. In fact, he was also robbed in Germany. Regarding Floyd, Cotto and all of them, there is not much to say, they just do not want to know anything about [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] against me. It is so sad but this is how things are in boxing right now.

LF: Towards the end of the year you made some comments towards Chavez Jr, Jose Sulaiman and HBO. Was that a case of your anger and frustration boiling over? Do you feel as though it had to be said?

SM: I think I [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] what I had to. People like Chávez and Arum are finishing this [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. And the worst of this is that this is my [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], which is a business, is too a sport and sometimes I am not very sure (what’s going on).

LF: What is the current relationship like now between you, Sulaiman and HBO? Is Sulaiman damaging [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] so much so that he should stand down?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
SM: Lou talked with HBO. We have been talking and it seems things are solved now. I understand that it is a company that is interested in their own benefit but what they did was not good. I hope things get better from now own. Regarding to Don José, I have nothing to say. I have defended and I defended WBC up to where I could, I have also been ambassador of WBC Cares Program. Fans are not stupid; they do really know who we are. I use to recognize a champion of the world if he has a green belt. I hope we will recognize them again. Nobody is perfect. Everybody make mistakes.

LF: How different is the challenge from Macklin compared to your last fight with [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Barker? Did you watch the Macklin-Sturm fight and do you think Macklin won?

SM: Of course Macklin won that fight and it should be a unified championship fight. We are going through hard moments in boxing and we have to live without belts. There will be a war in the fight and we won't get to the final bell. It is obvious I will knock him out. Barker did an intelligent fight, very good boxing technique, but Macklin is a brawler. They both have a great fight in England in the future.

LF: Did you take your foot off the gas against Barker or was it a case of he surprised you more than anything else?

SM: As I said on many other occasions, the week before the fight I got my left elbow dislocated. In the fight I almost did not use that hand, basically I only worked with the right one. Barker did a great fight, so intelligent and so well studied, but at 100% I should have had knocked him out beforehand.

LF: Do you ever get tired of questions about you fighting Mayweather and that [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]?

SM: I have always said that Mayweather is the best [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] nowadays. It would be an honour for me to fight against him and knock him out. I'm getting tired by the fact that not only Mayweather, but Cotto, Pacquiao, Chávez and all those chickens are always avoiding me.

LF: Are you [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] of the Mayweather-Pacquiao will they-won’t they situation? Can boxing cope without such a fight not happening?

SM: Yes, I am so tired of them two. Pacquiao is just a puppet in the hands of Bob Arum and Mayweather, it makes me sad to see him. Boxing will carry on without them, but it is shameful what is happening.

LF: You’re in your 15th professional year as a fighter, is there any aspect of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] that you find tougher than you did all those years ago?

SM: The only thing is getting more difficult is [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Now, for me the most important thing is showing the world that I can be the number one pound for pound, this is the reason why I insist so much in fighting against Mayweather or Pacquiao. The day I do that I may say farewell as a professional fighter.

LF: Have you ever fallen out of love with the sport? How did you overcome that kind of feeling?

SM: I have never fallen out of love with this sport and I will never do. Since I was a kid I thought of me doing sport, first with a bike, then football and finally boxing. Even now in my free time I try to do some other sports. In Spain I have participated in many adventure raids and I love running. But the most important thing: I do not know the words drugs and alcohol.

LF: Given the middleweight division has a depth of talent; is there anyone at 160lbs that you see as an emerging force?

SM: I think there is talent in the division, but I also think that all of these guys that want to fight against me should fight between them first. All my last fights, but Barker, were or had been world champions. Lee, Pirog, Geale, or Martin Murray are good boxers. If they fight between them we could see good fights and I would really like to give them an opportunity.

LF: What is the best piece of advice you could give to a fighter who is just starting out?

SM: It is not enough to wish for something, you have to want and love it too. Do not miss any day of training and do not [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] the illusion for this sport, this is the best advice I can give.
Floyd soiled himself in fear when he saw Sergio's KO of Williams. No way will "Chicken" Floyd ever step into the ring with Sergio.
Joe_MacKenzie is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
Concrete
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tszyu was the star and the A side, it is up to Tszyu to pick Mayweather. Its like saying Berto or Martinez is ducking Mayweather because they haven't made the fight yet.
Concrete is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum