Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #46
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather ducking Kostya Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_MacKenzie View Post
Floyd was waiting for Tszyu to be past his prime, but then Kostya retired after the Hatton fight.

Similarly, Floyd refused to fight still-good Mosley in 2007, and prime Cotto during 2007-2009. He waited for them to be faded before stepping into the ring with them.

Floyd also ducked Casamayor, Forrest and others.
God, stupidest post ever. What are you like 14 and have been following the sport for 2 years or something. You're just spouting off ****ing names you've heard of without having any idea what was actually going on at the time aren't you?

For the record. Floyd got retired by himself, Al Haymen, Leonard ellarbe, and HBO. It happened after the DLH fight when HBO garaunteed to pay Floyd 25 million dollars everytime he fights on their network. Which means that Floyd can only fight on HBO when there is an opponent that he can generate ~1 milllion buys with fighting in the welterweight division. Guess what, after knocking out Hatton there weren't any guys left that fight that bill.
o_money is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #47
MoJoGoodie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
Tszyu couldn't sell a dollar beer to Kelly Pavlik. He did horrible at the box office in the US.

When he put on a clinic against Ben Tackie, the turnout was abysmal.

The Ring (or one of these magazines) even had an article after that detailing how unfortunate it was that an excellent fighter like him couldn't sell tickets.

good one
MoJoGoodie is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #48
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #49
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272

There's a whoe bunch of reasons why a whole bunch of fights never happened with floyd.

Great fighters made sure these great fights happened.

Manny, Barrera, Morales, Marquez al fought each other. I'm ure there were problems in the negotiations too but they made sure the fights happened.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #50
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
There's a whoe bunch of reasons why a whole bunch of fights never happened with floyd.

Manny, Barrera, Morales, Marquez al fought each other. I'm ure there were problems in the negotiations too but they made sure the fights happened.
if you read the thread at all, you'd see Floyd did try to make the fight, but it was never possible
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #51
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
if you read the thread at all, you'd see Floyd did try to make the fight, but it was never possible

I know.

And i'm just saying there's a whole bunch of reasons why this floyd fight and other exciting fights that i wish i'd seen with floyd never happened.

I have no way of knowing who was to blame. I think you're right in that early floyd was a monster and was avoided by alot of fighters, due to he wasn't a big name so you had to fight a very tough fighter and you wouldn't get much reward for it.

My opinion on floyd is he is an amazing fighter. I just wish he had fought some prime HOF's somewhere along the line so i'd be able to know how good he really is.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
I know.

And i'm just saying there's a whole bunch of reasons why this floyd fight and other exciting fights that i wish i'd seen with floyd never happened.

I have no way of knowing who was to blame. I think you're right in that early floyd was a monster and was avoided by alot of fighters, due to he wasn't a big name so you had to fight a very tough fighter and you wouldn't get much reward for it.

My opinion on floyd is he is an amazing fighter. I just wish he had fought some prime HOF's somewhere along the line so i'd be able to know how good he really is.
You still don't know that answer

He handled hatton (who beat Tzyu), Mosley (who beat Margo), Marquez (who beat Pac) with ease.
Bladegunner is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #53
Badbot
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_MacKenzie View Post
Sergio Martinez: "Chicken Floyd won't fight me" (fight hype article)

"Chicken" Floyd chose the faded, smaller Cotto (who is not the same after the beatings he took from Plasterito and Pacquiao) over Sergio.

Floyd protects his "0" like a nun protects her virginity.
Again it was bad timing.
Floyd and Manny were "negotiating" when Martinez had already signed the Macklin fight.
Badbot is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #54
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladegunner View Post
You still don't know that answer

He handled hatton (who beat Tzyu), Mosley (who beat Margo), Marquez (who beat Pac) with ease.

I'd still rather he'd fought Kosta pre hatton. I'd rather he fought Margo and mosey in 2007, and Cotto and williams. And I'd rather he fought Pac in 2009.

I'm not discussing who's fault it is. I'm just saying i wish i'd seen all these fights.

any one of those wins would be better than any win on his resume.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #55
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Old 08-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #56
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

Quote:
yeah, most of them have to do with money and Bob Arum being an uncooperative dick to other promoters.
Quote:
No, they try to make fights happen. they can't make anything happen.

Quote:
Weren't all 4 of them promoted by Arum at one point?
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #57
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
Tszyu was paid really good money to face Hatton in Manchester.
tszyu was also 36.

prime tszyu and pbf woulve been a great fight.
Quincy K is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #58
war4years
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: "Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell

that fight would have made kt a legend, because he would have KTFO mayweather
war4years is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #59
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
Cut that out. That whole myth is complete bullship. There are multiple reasons why this fight didn't come off. Just because a fight didn't happen, doesn't mean it was Floyd ducking.

Floyd has wanted this fight for the longest. He was calling out Zoo before he was even at 140 pounds. One big reason the fight didn't get made was because of Floyd's contract with HBO and Zoo's contract with Showtime. The two networks don't have their fighters fight except for big fights, and this wasn't considered one at the time.

I can bring you muliple quotes of Floyd saying he wanted the fight. Can anybody bring me one from Kostya mentioning Floyd? This whole myth is nonsense. Plus lets look at the timeline:

Kostya fought Jesse James Leija 01-19-2003
Floyd fought N'Dou 11-01-2003 (Floyd's last fight at 135)
Kostya fight with Mitchell postponed because of shoulder injury 2-7-2004
Floyd fought Demarcus Corley 05-22-2004 (first fight at 140)
Kostya fought Sharmba Mitchell 11-06-2004 (after postponement from injury)
Kostya loses to Ricky Hatton 06-04-2005 (In mandatory defense. Retires afterward)
Floyd fought Henry Bruseles 01-22-2005 (coming off longest layoff of career at the time)

Now tell me, when would this fight have tooken place?

And Lance before you come on this thread talking ship, you should read your own post
This can go to the thread starter.

All i will say is that Ive been posting here a long time.

And you have bought up all these quotes of him wanting to fight Tszyu.

Yes Floyd does do alot of talking we have seen that. But it doesnt mean shit.

I can say these things for sure about that fight.
Showtime and HBO between those years of Tszyu owning 140 never and I mean never got together for fights.
So people saying Tszyu had the decision to make this and that I can inform you as I know people within the Tszyu Camp that ARUM and Mayweather in those years never once not once approached the Tszyu camp for this fight.

Plus I have it on very good authority that the poster

SCAR.

Has a interview that took place between Roger Mayweather and Floyd Mayweather in 2004 some time and they were asked if they would ever fight Tszyu.
Floyd answered with this qoute as Ive seen this footage but its rare to find.

His answer went
He would consider fighting Tszyu when he was Old like Roger was when he fought and beat Roger when he was young.

Only problem about this comment at the time for fans that know is.

Tszyu was 35 Years Old at the time of this comment (Which we know Floyd is not the smartest tool in the Shed) But when Tszyu fought Roger Roger was 34 years Old.

So it came across as a sort of we will wait till he is Old but hang on Tszyu is Old its just you seen him put such a hurt on Judah and Mitchell that you might actually not like the Power you feel from his Right Hand.

Now I have No Link to show this Interview but I know it took place as I have watched it as like I said the poster SCAR posted to shut Mayweather fans up and it did just that.

Plus I wanted to add when did you ever see Tszyu say Oh NO we aint fighting there or im not fighting him.

I think his 13 World Title fights on Foreign soil pretty much make that statement and the fact he travelled to Hatton home town at the very end of his career.

He would never say NO to that fight he just wouldnt. Shit he even said Yes to Gonzalez fight in Florida and Chavez fight in Phoenix close to the Mexican border.

Plus also people saying he has NO pulling power I can tell you in his last ever fight in Australia they Sold 34,000 tickets at the Telstra Dome for a fight with Lieja. So he could have demanded everyone come to him with those kind of Gate numbers but Oh NO he went to there backyards.

Yet some here still show him No Respect.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #60
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

One was showtime the other HBO end thread.
Pimp C is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum