Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Fighters you'd never expect to see...

Blown out. Who are they, and why?

After seeing both of Barkley's fights against Hearn's, I would of never thought Benn would get him out of there in one.

Some say Mugabi was a broken fighter in more than one way after Hagler, but still... McClellan and Norris both got rid of him in one.

Walcott against Marciano the second time around, especially after his amazing showing against Rocky in their first fight...

What fights come to mind for you? Pacquiao vs. Morales III?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters you'd never expect to see...

Roy Jones. Expect the unexpected, but I never saw Tarver destroying Roy.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
Snakefist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki
Roy Jones. Expect the unexpected, but I never saw Tarver destroying Roy.
Wasn't really a destruction, caught him with a shot he never saw. But very unexpected. I was probably more shocked when Mosley got completely destroyed by forest.. probably the biggest shock ever for me at least.
Snakefist is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Seeing Rosario blown out by Ramirez was pretty surprising; the first fight was very close, but I figured that was mainly due to ring rust, as Rosario's hand had been hurt for awhile. Then he'd strung a bunch of wins together against good opposition, and I thought he was on his way to the tip-top. Then he knocked Ramirez down twice in the first two rounds. Fine; easy........then it changed. Wow.......
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
Seeing Rosario blown out by Ramirez was pretty surprising; the first fight was very close, but I figured that was mainly due to ring rust, as Rosario's hand had been hurt for awhile. Then he'd strung a bunch of wins together against good opposition, and I thought he was on his way to the tip-top. Then he knocked Ramirez down twice in the first two rounds. Fine; easy........then it changed. Wow.......
Does Mancini vs. Chacon come to mind for you at all?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I was of the opinion that the 2nd Roy-Tarver fight was Tarver capturing lightning, capitalizing perfectly on Roy's mistake of pulling back hands down chin up. The Johnson fight, Roy was tentative, gunshy. As was I first time I got rocked.

It was Tarver ass-raping Roy in their thrid that made me see he was shot, and Tarver, the upcoming heavyweight heir, would have dethroned him that night, great KO left or no.

By my estimation, Mosley won the same number of rounds vs Forrest Jones did the third Tarver fight.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Does Mancini vs. Chacon come to mind for you at all?

.............Sure; that wasn't a shock though. Chacon was so worn down, and Mancini was such a bull of a lightweight that even at that young age I knew Chacon had no chance. He was smaller, less powerful, and old. Not a great combination. That one was pretty easy to see coming.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:42 AM   #8
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That whole fight was weird to me. It was like Roasario literally melted to Ramirez. I had never saw that coming.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:45 AM   #9
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki
That whole fight was weird to me. It was like Roasario literally melted to Ramirez. I had never saw that coming.

...........It really was weird. Unfortunately for Rosario, it seemed to become a pattern. The man couldn't take a punch, yet he was never knocked down, at least as far as I followed his career. Maybe he was later in his career, but I don't remember ever seeing it.

Once he was badly hurt, he just melted, as you described. He was done. No recuperative powers whatsoever. If you hurt him, you won the fight.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
...........It really was weird. Unfortunately for Rosario, it seemed to become a pattern. The man couldn't take a punch, yet he was never knocked down, at least as far as I followed his career. Maybe he was later in his career, but I don't remember ever seeing it.

Once he was badly hurt, he just melted, as you described. He was done. No recuperative powers whatsoever. If you hurt him, you won the fight.
Spot on, Sal. But Ramirez? I was stunned.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:12 AM   #11
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Blown out. Who are they, and why?

Some say Mugabi was a broken fighter in more than one way after Hagler, but still... McClellan and Norris both got rid of him in one.
And others say it was Duane Thomas and an alleged thumb to the eye that did for the Beast.

Some other shockers:

Curry getting killed by Honeyghan

Piper getting taken out by Thompson

Tyson/Douglas

Schmeling/LouisI and indeed II was a shocker as well

Del Valle/McKenzie

Camacho/Leonard (say what you want about Camacho, he will always fond place in my thoughts for flattening the arrogant one with a jab!)

Hearns/Duran

Nunn/Kalambay

Smith/WhitherspoonII
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
What about Rosarios fight with Hiranaka? He just steamrolled Rosario with his punching pressure, straight right after straight right, that must've been a shock to see, i've never seen Hiranaka outside of this fight but he seemed like a raw sort of opponent.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkers
What about Rosarios fight with Hiranaka? He just steamrolled Rosario with his punching pressure, straight right after straight right, that must've been a shock to see, i've never seen Hiranaka outside of this fight but he seemed like a raw sort of opponent.

I thought of that one immediately too. A definite shocker. Hearns-Duran could be top for me- it was a sensation at the time (despite the usual bullshit "If I was prepared I keel him" that usually appeared when Duran lost).
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Hearns blowing out Duran for me, especially after Roberto had gone the distance so well vs Hagler. Tommy just went rank.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
.............Sure; that wasn't a shock though. Chacon was so worn down, and Mancini was such a bull of a lightweight that even at that young age I knew Chacon had no chance. He was smaller, less powerful, and old. Not a great combination. That one was pretty easy to see coming.
What's really bizarre about that outcome is that it was the final victory of Boom-Boom's career, and the last defeat for Schoolboy (who over the next four years would defeat Freddie Roach, kayo Art Frias into retirement, kayo Rafael Solis into a permanent losing streak, and finish off his own storied career by going 7-0-0 with 5 KO's). Imagine that!
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum