BUDW is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: RJJ vs Ezzard Charles

Charles in my opinion needs the KO to win. Given just one match, I may pick him to do it. Given a series, I'd take Jones to win more often than not.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Jones should do it.

Jones has the style of it. My feeling is that Charles is a rythym based fighter, at his best when he hits his stride. Jones is a rythym breaking mongoose type fighter who can establish his own excellent rythym whilst breaking someone elses...I think Jones would beat Charles up and take a lop sided decision. Some scarey moments for him though.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

..jones would push ezzard to give his best, so charles would probably need a knockout to win, so he would score one. re: the comparison of jones to a mongoose....well, we all know how well charles did with a fighter who bore than knickname.

i am assuminbg the charles/jones match is at light heavy peak for each.
albinored is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinored
..jones would push ezzard to give his best, so charles would probably need a knockout to win, so he would score one. re: the comparison of jones to a mongoose....well, we all know how well charles did with a fighter who bore than knickname.

i am assuminbg the charles/jones match is at light heavy peak for each.
Jones was nothing like Moore, so the comparison is pretty useless. And saying "he would need a knockout to win, so he would score one" is not very telling.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

This matchup makes me think about Charles' fights with Burley. The skinny middleweight not even completely developed Charles was able to beat a prime Burley twice. And many who have seen both Burley and Jones fight said they fought in a very similar way with their in and out type movement. I think Charles has all the tools to deal with Jones at light heavyweight. His timing on punches was incredible and I see him catching Jones in the mid rounds maybe behind on points after ad******g to his speed and movement. I disagree with Mcgrain's thoughts that Charles was a solely rythm based fighter. He could be a rythmic boxer and it worked against master boxers like Moore and Burley, but he could also fight as an aggresive puncher and inside figther I think by effectively combining the two Charles would be able to take Jones out.
werety is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bad styles matchup for Charles, IMO.

RJJ on points.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Charles was a great fighter. Jones has the type of hand speed to bother any fighter, but Charles was a great fighter. Great fighters keep trying to win no matter what. Charles' chin was enough to compete against heavyweights, so I don't see Jones koing him that easily. If Jones hand speed began to bother Charles, I believe Charles would press ahead.

Charles eventually finds Roy with his right hand, and does not need to worry about a decision.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

..sweet pea..the reference to the mongoose was a joke...i thought it was obvious but i guess not. as for ezzard knocking jones out because jones would press him....well, that's a simple declarative sentence, and rekcut and others understood it, but maybe that's because they know more about charles. ezzard was sometinmes a slow starter, content out box his opponent and win a decision. jones was good enough with his speed and tricky moves to gove charles problems eary, so ezzard would have to shift to high gear and go for ther knockout, which i think he'd score.
albinored is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Charles was one of the smartest fighters ever - Charley Burley and Archie Moore couldn't even outfox him in five contests. What let Charles down was a lack of strength and durability early in his career, but once he found those two attributes he didn't lose until he saw the other side of the hill. I don't think even Roy Jones could trounce Charles, who at his best* had a knack for getting the job done.

*'At his best' can get quite boring, but Charles was a fighter who really was a lot better in his prime than when not.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I'll take the guy with the best resume...He'll take this... IMO.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinored
..sweet pea..the reference to the mongoose was a joke...i thought it was obvious but i guess not. as for ezzard knocking jones out because jones would press him....well, that's a simple declarative sentence, and rekcut and others understood it, but maybe that's because they know more about charles. ezzard was sometinmes a slow starter, content out box his opponent and win a decision. jones was good enough with his speed and tricky moves to gove charles problems eary, so ezzard would have to shift to high gear and go for ther knockout, which i think he'd score.
Well then, in response to you wrongly assuming I don't know much about Charles(he's one of my favorite fighters) I will easily say the same for your knowledge of Jones by just assuming this fight will be dictated by whatever pace Charles decides to fight it at.

Last edited by Sweet Pea; 01-01-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
doublesuited
Taylor TKO2 Pavlik
ESB Senior Member

If a prehistoric McCallum could tag Jones, imagine what Charles would do to that glass-jawed bum...
doublesuited is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #14
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I agree with Manassa, Charles has the major edge in durability and I would say he's even smarter than Jones. With his power, boxing ability, and timing I just can't see Jones making it out of a full 15 rounder without getting caught.
werety is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by werety
I agree with Manassa, Charles has the major edge in durability and I would say he's even smarter than Jones. With his power, boxing ability, and timing I just can't see Jones making it out of a full 15 rounder without getting caught.
Not too sure about him being a smarter ring general than Jones, in fact I'd say the opposite.

And timing is rarely an asset with Jones, as even the best couldn't time someone as unorthodox and fast as him, unless they had some major advantage, like height or reach(Foster). And Jones getting caught doesn't automatically lead to a surefire KO, he took some good shots in his prime, just rarely clean.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum