Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

Isn't Diaz-Condit the perfect sort of fight for this?

Close rounds that could have gone either way often end up with one fighter winning the round, and oftentimes the fight, essentially on bullshit.

Look at round 5 of Diaz-Condit, for example.

I gave it to Condit, because he was controlling it for four minutes and he finished the round having escaped Diaz's back control.

But Diaz still got his back and went for a couple of submissions, even though he didn't do much damage. If Carlos hadn't escaped, I would have scored the round 10-10 because of that.

What's the problem with 10-10 rounds? If the round is fought on either terms, both guys have their moments and neither has a decisive edge over the other, (or if there is just no significant action), why not score a round even? Surely that's better than giving Fighter A 1/3rd of the fight because he landed one partially-blocked head kick that did no damage, or giving Fighter B 1/3rd of the fight for scoring a half-assed takedown when the other guy was back on his feet ten seconds later.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

no, i never give ten ten rounds in boxing let alone mma, for me to score 10 10 they have to be identical in scoring, which is near impossible
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Broony
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

I agree in theory that if nobody is a clear winner of the round it should be a 10/10 but over a 3 round fights we'd see too many draws, which would not be good for the sport.
Broony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

The problem with judges isn't the scoring system it's that they don't use 10-10- rds and 10-8 rds enough imo.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
dillinja
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

I don;t see what's wrong with having another round if its scored a draw, alot of 5 round fights coming about now why not take it to an extra round to decide fights.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

From what I've heard, the NSAC and several other commissions strongly discourage judges from scoring even rounds. I don't know what their reason is for that policy.
Thom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

They do and its because they don't want draws. They want judges to commit to a winner.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

I can definitely see the down sides to 10-10 rounds. But there something immensely annoying about a razor close round being given to one guy 10-9, and then another round is totally one sided and it's still a 10-9 round. How can these rounds be considered equal?

Of course, a solution to that is to give out more 10-8 rounds, but considering most fights are 3 rounds, you're really putting a fighter at a disadvantage if you score a 10-8 round against him.

I'm split on this. I definitely don't want to see more draws, but I don't like the current scoring system for the reason stated above.
Boinko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

I cant think of any examples of a 10-10 round off the top of my head, can anyone else?

Even if you did introduce 10-10 rounds, you'd still have the argument that someone edged it in a close fight, a shared point wont make any difference in that regard. And you'd still have disagreements over who actually won it, without the anticlimax of a draw. Disagreeing with a judges and other fans decision is the life blood of this sport for fans, as much as a great kod or submission

Like Will said, they dont want draws, and there should always be an incentive to push that little harder to gain the round, rather than settling for an even score with 30 seconds left on the clock.
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinko View Post
I can definitely see the down sides to 10-10 rounds. But there something immensely annoying about a razor close round being given to one guy 10-9, and then another round is totally one sided and it's still a 10-9 round. How can these rounds be considered equal?

Of course, a solution to that is to give out more 10-8 rounds, but considering most fights are 3 rounds, you're really putting a fighter at a disadvantage if you score a 10-8 round against him.

I'm split on this. I definitely don't want to see more draws, but I don't like the current scoring system for the reason stated above.
This is said so often, and its so ****ing stupid it drives me mad.

10-8s only put a fighter at a massive disadvantage if they're rare. If 10-8 rounds were regularly given then they would not massively disadvantage the fighter. If Fighter A wins the first round 10-8 then all Fighter B has to do is win the second round 10-8 to level the scorecards. If 10-7 or 10-6 were regularly used then a fighter could come from a losing the first two rounds 20-17 to secure a draw with 10-7 final round. And of course throughout the fight, anyone behind on the scorecards can win the fight with a knockout or submission.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I cant think of any examples of a 10-10 round off the top of my head, can anyone else?

Even if you did introduce 10-10 rounds, you'd still have the argument that someone edged it in a close fight, a shared point wont make any difference in that regard. And you'd still have disagreements over who actually won it, without the anticlimax of a draw. Disagreeing with a judges and other fans decision is the life blood of this sport for fans, as much as a great kod or submission

Like Will said, they dont want draws, and there should always be an incentive to push that little harder to gain the round, rather than settling for an even score with 30 seconds left on the clock.
Half points is better idea than more 10-10 rounds.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

Yeah Id go with half points too, a reward for a close round is a better idea. Diaz v Condit round 5 is a perfect example of where a 9.5 is acceptable. Regardless of what Haggis said about it, Diaz was in a better position to finish the fight when he took Carlos' back. If he had knocked him on his ass with a punch and nearly finished it, then it wouldnt matter what happens in the early goings, Diaz was still closer to ending it. So Id score it 10 Nick 9.5 Condit

Unless someone can reel off a laundry list of 10-10 rounds then the idea is pointless
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Isn't Diaz-Condit the perfect sort of fight for this?

Close rounds that could have gone either way often end up with one fighter winning the round, and oftentimes the fight, essentially on bullshit.

Look at round 5 of Diaz-Condit, for example.

I gave it to Condit, because he was controlling it for four minutes and he finished the round having escaped Diaz's back control.

But Diaz still got his back and went for a couple of submissions, even though he didn't do much damage. If Carlos hadn't escaped, I would have scored the round 10-10 because of that.


What's the problem with 10-10 rounds? If the round is fought on either terms, both guys have their moments and neither has a decisive edge over the other, (or if there is just no significant action), why not score a round even? Surely that's better than giving Fighter A 1/3rd of the fight because he landed one partially-blocked head kick that did no damage, or giving Fighter B 1/3rd of the fight for scoring a half-assed takedown when the other guy was back on his feet ten seconds later.

Condit didn't escape so much as Diaz abandoned the choke and went for the armbar in a last second attempt to finish the fight.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
This is said so often, and its so ****ing stupid it drives me mad.

10-8s only put a fighter at a massive disadvantage if they're rare. If 10-8 rounds were regularly given then they would not massively disadvantage the fighter. If Fighter A wins the first round 10-8 then all Fighter B has to do is win the second round 10-8 to level the scorecards. If 10-7 or 10-6 were regularly used then a fighter could come from a losing the first two rounds 20-17 to secure a draw with 10-7 final round. And of course throughout the fight, anyone behind on the scorecards can win the fight with a knockout or submission.
Yes, and I'm speaking based on the current system where 10-8 rounds are rare. So, there's nothing ****ing stupid about that. I'm all for changing the scoring such that a round a fighter clearly dominates becomes a 10-8 round, but that's not generally how it works right now. How many times have we heard after a round "you could argue that was a 10-8 round", and all of the judges score it 10-9.

But, I agree with you that 10-8 rounds could be given out more regularly. If there is consistency with it, then you won't be putting a fighter in a massive hole by scoring a 10-8 round against him.
Boinko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gay St Pierre
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 75
Default Re: Why does nobody ever score 10-10 rounds? What's the problem?

a ten ten round should be given only in the following circumstances

each fighter stays in their corner and dont move from that spot for 5 minutes

however if one fighter takes 2 steps forward that shows he was more aggressive so he would get the round

this is a severe exaggeration but hopefully you get my point, its never possible for a round to be completely even, in boxing its more possible but in mma no chance
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013