Vyborg1917
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 161
Default Re: Sky sign deal with Golden Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
goodbye boxnation

And instead it turned out to be: thank God for Boxnation!
Vyborg1917 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #77
rezzer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Why do people want Boxnation to fail? It's good and is only a Top Rank deal away from being almost perfect .
rezzer is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #78
king s
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 306

Boxnation is good for boxing and i dont think sky are going to be doing it with eddie hearn and his 20 fights including prizefighter a year.
king s is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #79
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Yes boxnation has turned out to be good for boxing, but only because of the situation created by the promoter tied to the channel. Regular bills that lacked substance- boring mismatches, poor career development for boxers - lack of star names etc etc.

If said promoter had done their job properly from the off there would be no requirement for boxnation which is basically an anything goes boxing version of Eurosport.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #80
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

And ultimately it's bad for boxing, very bad.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #81
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Yes boxnation has turned out to be good for boxing, but only because of the situation created by the promoter tied to the channel. Regular bills that lacked substance- boring mismatches, poor career development for boxers - lack of star names etc etc.

If said promoter had done their job properly from the off there would be no requirement for boxnation which is basically an anything goes boxing version of Eurosport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
And ultimately it's bad for boxing, very bad.
agree with this. W*rren is providing the bare minimum content needed to keep us mugs paying 10 a month.

Theres no vision, there no plan. nothing. its sad cos Box Nation would have actually worked.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #82
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzer View Post
Why do people want Boxnation to fail? It's good and is only a Top Rank deal away from being almost perfect .
how do you work that out?
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #83
rezzer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

The domestic action has been pretty dire and I completely agree that FW is giving us the minimum for our 10. Also it's very true that the channel has no vision. I'm still glad it's around though.
rezzer is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #84
Black_Rainbows
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzer View Post

As you mention it:

BoxNation ‏@boxnationtv

@sammurphy7 Talks are ongoing with Top Rank, both for Pacman and something longer term. We don't know much more than that, but here's hoping

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Black_Rainbows is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #85
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I aren't a big fan of ***** or Boxnation so still haven't subscribed yet. But to be fair to them I bet Top Rank are bastards to deal with. I don't think Primetime even pay for the rights to broadcast fights through Top Rank I think Top Rank take a % of the PPV money that Primetime get for it. Surely Top Rank would get more money through Sky or Boxnation than what they would by 3000 people paying 14.95 to stay up until 4.30am to watch a fight.
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #86
Black_Rainbows
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As I have said before, Sky are never going to show everything. (At the moment, they aren't showing much international boxing at all.) If you want good coverage of boxing in the UK then you need more than one channel showing it. I would love for international boxing to be on free TV, but it's not going to happen.

The rights aren't even supposed to be that expensive, and yet the main free channels have shown **** all interest in the past decade and probably longer. I remember Nuts TV had a 4 fight deal with Sauerland but that channel didn't last long. ****ing Nuts TV can show a live heavyweight world title fight, but the BBC can't do them? It's not that they can't, it's that the cunts don't want to. (Because combat sports don't appeal to the middle class liberals running the BBC?)

But anyway, yeah, it's not getting coverage on the free channels. So if we want boxing on UK TV that means subscription TV. I guess that could either be something like ESPN, or a dedicated boxing channel like BoxNation. I will take a dedicated boxing channel as they can't drop the sport for rugby or whatever.

Some people say that F.W. can't make star names on such a small channel. Well actually, let's wait and see. One thing that F.W. can do now is put his fighters on Golden Boy shows and get them US exposure, and that could kind of help possibly--if fighters are good enough--in building their name.

I don't really like PPV--funnily enough--but if you consider the "Magnificent Seven" shows that F.W. did... well that's a lot better than Haye vs Audley which Sky Sports apparently WANTED TO DO. If anyone deserves the blame for ****ing up PPV boxing on Sky then I'm thinking that maybe Sky itself should be first to be blamed. They either (at least) cleared the Haye vs Audley fight as deserving of PPV, or they may well even have been PUSHING for the fight to happen.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #87
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Rainbows View Post
As I have said before, Sky are never going to show everything. (At the moment, they aren't showing much international boxing at all.) If you want good coverage of boxing in the UK then you need more than one channel showing it. I would love for international boxing to be on free TV, but it's not going to happen.

The rights aren't even supposed to be that expensive, and yet the main free channels have shown **** all interest in the past decade and probably longer. I remember Nuts TV had a 4 fight deal with Sauerland but that channel didn't last long. ****ing Nuts TV can show a live heavyweight world title fight, but the BBC can't do them? It's not that they can't, it's that the cunts don't want to. (Because combat sports don't appeal to the middle class liberals running the BBC?)

But anyway, yeah, it's not getting coverage on the free channels. So if we want boxing on UK TV that means subscription TV. I guess that could either be something like ESPN, or a dedicated boxing channel like BoxNation. I will take a dedicated boxing channel as they can't drop the sport for rugby or whatever.

Some people say that F.W. can't make star names on such a small channel. Well actually, let's wait and see. One thing that F.W. can do now is put his fighters on Golden Boy shows and get them US exposure, and that could kind of help possibly--if fighters are good enough--in building their name.

I don't really like PPV--funnily enough--but if you consider the "Magnificent Seven" shows that F.W. did... well that's a lot better than Haye vs Audley which Sky Sports apparently WANTED TO DO. If anyone deserves the blame for ****ing up PPV boxing on Sky then I'm thinking that maybe Sky itself should be first to be blamed. They either (at least) cleared the Haye vs Audley fight as deserving of PPV, or they may well even have been PUSHING for the fight to happen.
If the BBC put Alexander Povetkin vs a Bum for a phony WBA title I would be ****ing outraged.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #88
Black_Rainbows
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
If the BBC put Alexander Povetkin vs a Bum for a phony WBA title I would be ****ing outraged.

Sauerland shows have been reasonable quality. (Obviously not the latest Povetkin fight, which wasn't their fault because it was a mandatory.) I would be perfectly happy to see them on BBC. And I'm happy to watch them on BoxNation.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #89
BretN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
As you mention it:

BoxNation ‏@boxnationtv

@sammurphy7 Talks are ongoing with Top Rank, both for Pacman and something longer term. We don't know much more than that, but here's hoping

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Interesting, but how much longer will Pacquiao be fighting anyway? Could actually be his last fight the Marquez one. Would still be good to see the other TR fighters on boxnation (or sky) regularly anyway.

Only chance we've got of decent international cards on sky is when there's a big show in the UK on the same night- like when we got Ward v Dawson after Eddies London calling show
BretN is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #90
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Sauerland shows have been reasonable quality. (Obviously not the latest Povetkin fight, which wasn't their fault because it was a mandatory.) I would be perfectly happy to see them on BBC. And I'm happy to watch them on BoxNation.
fights like that do not belong on the BBC.
Jonsey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum