Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Sugarray1
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Macklin on Gallagher and America

Irish favourite Matthew Macklin admits his St Patrick's Day shot at middleweight king Sergio Martinez in New York feels like "a fairytale".

The Birmingham-born fighter will take on pound-for-pound superstar Martinez at the legendary Madison Square Garden on March 18 desperate to exorcise the ghosts of last year's controversial defeat by Felix Sturm in Germany.

Macklin was denied victory in his long-awaited title shot when WBA champion Sturm won a split-decision verdict despite being comprehensively out-boxed last summer.

Despite that disappointment, Macklin attempts to go one better when he faces Argentinian Martinez, who has now shunned meaningless 'alphabet' titles but holds the lineal middleweight crown.

The 29-year-old said: "I was very disappointed not to get the decision against Sturm but this is the silver lining.

"Everyone in America saw that and they were way more outraged than we were in England or Ireland. Maybe because they love the aggression side of boxing, which I showed. Most people in America barely had Sturm even winning three rounds.

"Everyone thought I won it, but over here they felt I really dominated him completely.

"It was good to get rewarded with this fight because being at Madison Square Garden, on St Patrick's Day, against Martinez, on HBO, it ticks all the boxes. It's like a fairytale."

Macklin, who is now based in New York and is working with local promoter Lou DiBella, has explained his decision to enlist the services of old trainer Buddy McGirt rather than Mancunian coach Joe Gallagher.

Gallagher was in Macklin's corner for the Sturm fight but the fighter believes United States-based McGirt, with whom he worked briefly four years ago, is the right man to help him beat Martinez.

He said: "I thought Buddy was a good trainer back in 2008 but I was in lesser fights, like 10 round fights, so with the travelling and logistics it wasn't practical.

"Now, however, I'm at this stage and I've relocated to New York, signed with Lou DiBella and it makes more sense.

"Joe is a good conditioner but I think the level I'm fighting at now, for boxing knowledge and from a technical and tactical point of view, he's probably not on that level yet.

"He's still a young trainer, learning. In this kind of league, when you come back to the corner, you want to be looking at someone who has been there and done it. Not just as a fighter, because he's done it as a trainer too, in those big fights with Arturo Gatti, Vernon Forrest etc.

"You want that experience in the corner and the gym too, when you're building the gameplan and planning tactics for the fight."
Sugarray1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Macklin on Gallagher and America

"Joe is a good conditioner but I think the level I'm fighting at now, for boxing knowledge and from a technical and tactical point of view, he's probably not on that level yet."

I think he might regret those comments. If I was Joe G I'd certainly feel a little stabbed in the back.
WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
chrisbonnie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalletInspector View Post
"Joe is a good conditioner but I think the level I'm fighting at now, for boxing knowledge and from a technical and tactical point of view, he's probably not on that level yet."

I think he might regret those comments. If I was Joe G I'd certainly feel a little stabbed in the back.
who cares what Joe "stop punches with your face" Gallagher thinks.

he's just a boxing trainer, nothing more, nothing less.

i dont mind Gallagher too much in all honesty, but he does come across a right arrogant c*nt at times
chrisbonnie is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
diagnosismurder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Yeah I agree

I don't like the fact some fighters want there trainers to be world class fighters

Look a britians last three champion

Carl froch (Mckraken), Cleverly (mad vince) and Burns (nelson)

In my opinion you don't have to be a world class fighter to be a trainer of world champions
diagnosismurder is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Considering the fact Macklin doesn't have a whole lot of boxing ability and never has had, it's to Gallagher's credit that Macklin put in such an effective performance that he later thought he won the Sturm fight. If Gallagher wasn't a good trainer, I don't think Macklin would have been as effective as he was and if Macklin had a rematch with McGirt as his trainer, I couldn't see him beating Sturm, or even coming as close as he did.

It's far too simplistic to write Gallagher off as 'a good conditioner' without going into the other abilities he has. How many trainers offer more concise, effective advice when their fighter goes back to the corner? If Macklin is getting the shit kicked out of him against Martinez, McGirt will say "Drink some water, baby" and that's pretty much it. At least gallagher would say "You've got to push out a jab and then follow it up with a right hand" or whatever. Gallagher knows how to read a fight and his advice is usually good. He's much, much better better than McGirt in this respect.

McGirt is one of those trainers who will always get work. He seems like he knows how to sell his fighters but if you look at his results over the years, has he really been a good trainer? I don't think so. Not at world level anyway. Maybe Gallagher isn't going to be a world class trainer either, I don't know. He has, however, done a very good job given the fighters he's worked with in the last few years.

One thing Macklin will certainly lack in the future is the bond between a fighter and a trainer. No matter how good a coach he could choose, their relationship is always going to suffer because Macklin doesn't seem to like sticking with one trainer for a long period, making long term progress impossible. I think one thing he could really do with at this stage would be consistency and even if the trainer he chooses isn't the best in the world, he may see more benefit from having a fixed routine and a solid partnership.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Totally agree, Gallagher did very well for Macklin.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

"for boxing knowledge and from a technical and tactical point of view, he's probably not on that level yet"

perhaps true but harsh words. says alot. might just be bitter about something but i think he might have a point.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880

Just saw on Ringside Macklin will be sparring Austin Trout. Doubt Gallagher would have got him that.
qwert is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Just saw on Ringside Macklin will be sparring Austin Trout. Doubt Gallagher would have got him that.
Thats very good sparring. Nobody is arguing about wether or not he should have left Gallagher, it's about his disrespectful comments.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Thats very good sparring. Nobody is arguing about wether or not he should have left Gallagher, it's about his disrespectful comments.
Yeah he was pretty harsh. I don't disagree with anything he said, but he should probably have kept those thoughts to himself.
qwert is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He obviously feels he has learned as much as he can from Gallagher, there nothing wrong with having a look around to see if other coaches have other tricks and tips to help him out.

It will help him finding out the things that work for him and make him a more complete fighter. Could be the best thing he ever did or might not be you never know. Look what swapping trainers did for amir khan.

I don't agree that world class trainers have to be world class fighters (although im not sure macklin is saying that) but it's all about finding the right one or combination to help you progress.
nick6 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
D1namita

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6 View Post
He obviously feels he has learned as much as he can from Gallagher, there nothing wrong with having a look around to see if other coaches have other tricks and tips to help him out.

It will help him finding out the things that work for him and make him a more complete fighter. Could be the best thing he ever did or might not be you never know. Look what swapping trainers did for amir khan.

I don't agree that world class trainers have to be world class fighters (although im not sure macklin is saying that) but it's all about finding the right one or combination to help you progress.
Its the more the comments he made though. Swapping trainers is Macklins bread and butter and although many think that wont help long term its not something many are going to be surprised or annoyed at. Its just how he spoke about a trainer who took him to almost winning a world title.
D1namita is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Considering the fact Macklin doesn't have a whole lot of boxing ability and never has had, it's to Gallagher's credit that Macklin put in such an effective performance that he later thought he won the Sturm fight. If Gallagher wasn't a good trainer, I don't think Macklin would have been as effective as he was and if Macklin had a rematch with McGirt as his trainer, I couldn't see him beating Sturm, or even coming as close as he did.

It's far too simplistic to write Gallagher off as 'a good conditioner' without going into the other abilities he has. How many trainers offer more concise, effective advice when their fighter goes back to the corner? If Macklin is getting the shit kicked out of him against Martinez, McGirt will say "Drink some water, baby" and that's pretty much it. At least gallagher would say "You've got to push out a jab and then follow it up with a right hand" or whatever. Gallagher knows how to read a fight and his advice is usually good. He's much, much better better than McGirt in this respect.

McGirt is one of those trainers who will always get work. He seems like he knows how to sell his fighters but if you look at his results over the years, has he really been a good trainer? I don't think so. Not at world level anyway. Maybe Gallagher isn't going to be a world class trainer either, I don't know. He has, however, done a very good job given the fighters he's worked with in the last few years.

One thing Macklin will certainly lack in the future is the bond between a fighter and a trainer. No matter how good a coach he could choose, their relationship is always going to suffer because Macklin doesn't seem to like sticking with one trainer for a long period, making long term progress impossible. I think one thing he could really do with at this stage would be consistency and even if the trainer he chooses isn't the best in the world, he may see more benefit from having a fixed routine and a solid partnership.
I'm with Jack
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

TBH i've listened to Joe in corner in big fights, listened to Buddy and people on here know i'm not that sorta poster to big up a trainer cos there British but there ain't no difference in corner work or level bar 'drink some water baby'.

Ok his plan against Sturm wasn't genius but it damn well worked, Macklin cannot stay in once place. I have no doubts this partnership won't last long unless he beats Martinez.

Joe's got a lot to learn, all coaches have but he's not just a good conditioner he's been with Macklin for most of his best displays. My only complaint with Joe is his fighters being a little to one dimensional but i've heard fighters complain about Buddy imposing styles on them.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1022

The good news is Matt will be safe with Buddy.
If the fight goes bad who do you want in your corner Buddy or Joe, who would let you come to near death?
richard mossley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum