Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 AM   #16
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Maricano's Weight - Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I've heard he literally walked the streets later in life at nearly 250 pounds and wasn't exactly obese.

Did he really stay that lean?

Does that mean it's possible that he could maintain, say, a 220 pound weight if he had access to modern means of building dense, lean muscle like creatine and what not?

I mean, the man wasn't any shorter than Mike Tyson and Tyson fighting at around that weight definitely didn't take away from his ability.
I think a fighting weight of 215 pounds ( Tyson's weight ) would take a bit away from Marciano's ability. Extra weight or fat takes away from speed and stamina. And it was Rocky's stamina that made him special.

Longer limbed atheltes can add muscles to their frame without a problem. Shorter, more compact atheltes quickly become " muscule bound " if they add too much weight to their frame. Too much muscle or weight in boxing is not good. The stamina, speed, flexibility, and snap of the movement suffer.

I think Rocky could work his way up to the 200-205 pound range, but anything beyond that would take away from some of the things that made him special.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
hdog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Why would *** be off limits to an athlete?
Old school mentality. Probably thought having *** took away your edge. Can't remember who said it wasn't the *** but the energy spent looking for it.
hdog is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #18
joe33

vCash:

*** can tire you out,you all must have been knackered after a session,that would be foolish near a fight,but then again for some it probaly calms them down makes them feel fresh
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2007, 06:44 PM   #19
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Right before a fight, I've heard that multiple times for different sports.

But cutting it out period?

Sounds weird.
Russell is online now  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
thunder06
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
I think Rocky could have held his weight at 205 to 210 and not looked at all fat. And I guess he still would have been a terrific fighter.
But he probably would have lacked his trademark superhuman endurance.

Then again, Muhammad Ali was overweight and softer than ideal in the thrilla in manila, his most gruelling win. And more and more heavyweights since the 70s have held on to a bit of weight and still been in shape (of course, many others have just used being heavyweight as an excuse to be fat or detrimentally bulky).

Stories about Marciano running 12 miles a day are almost definitely true, and that's not even an extreme or unusual amount for an old-timer.
Gene Tunney would run 10-15 in training, Jack Dempsey is reported as running on the morning of the Willard fight (but he cut his run short after about 5 milesa because of the heat!), Fitzsimmons used to walk and run about 18 miles a day.
THE OLD-TIMERS WERE FULL-TIMERS.
Nowadays, guys like Mayweather and Hopkins who keep themselves in good shape all year round are seen as exceptional !

What made Marciano special even in his own time was the AMOUNT of training and sacrifice he put in when he had no fight scheduled ! He'd run every day, go to bed early every night, refrain from fine food, never partied, he rarely even had *** with his wife ! For him, his whole career was a state of emergency that required utmost disciplined.
Exactly. Marciano had a monk-like mentality.
thunder06 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #21
Hank
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In regards to athletes and ***, boxer's used to be told it would 'Take away your legs" or fatigue them. Baseball manager Casey Stengal said it best in regards to that one: It ain't the ***, it's the running around till four in the morning looking for it in bars."

Some still do say away days before a fight to keep an edge mentally, stay a little mean. If a guy's ****in', and getting bj's every day, he's gona be too happy to kick some ass.
Hank is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #22
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Right before a fight, I've heard that multiple times for different sports.

But cutting it out period?

Sounds weird.
It's total old-school bullshit, even a doctor will tell you so.

Bob Beamon had *** the night before he broke the world's long jump record by over 2 feet. And apparently, he had a lot of ***. So did Max McGhee the night before and morning of Super Bowl I. And he played fairly well in the fracas.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #23
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
12 miles is ridiculous, he trained hard, harda sanyone, but 12 miles is crazy. Where did you hear that---wait--internet, right?

That fact is actually pretty well documented. Ever read "Rocky Marciano; The Rock Of His Times?" It's a pretty good book. I've read the mileage figures elsewhere too, but it's in there.

He was an interesting person. Pretty weird when it came to money, like hed hide it behind toilet tanks and in his backyard and places like that. To this day, his family isn't sure where some of it is.
zippy is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #24
Mega Lamps
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano after retirement, was well over 200 pounds and if I remember right, in the 250 pound range. He worked extremely hard to get to the 180's and hardly ate, he even chewed up steak and spit it out; he just wanted the juice from it. He ate salad though.
Mega Lamps is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #25
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Archie Moore did that too, the steak bit.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #26
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He worked out like no other to get that. Ive read that he would hit the heavybag for 60 rounds (he used a 300lb bag too). He used to skip rope a long time as well. IMO Marciano could keep his insane work rate and stamina up to around 205, but his build would be similar to this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #27
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah, a 300lb bag is just ridiculous.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #28
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

10-12 miles per day --- everyday --- not a good idea.

10-12 miles once in a while --- OK.

Everyday miles should be --- 3, 5, 6.

Lower mileage --- faster pace is best.

I dont think Marciano was that stupid to run 10-=12 miles --- everyday.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #29
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney
10-12 miles per day --- everyday --- not a good idea.

10-12 miles once in a while --- OK.

Everyday miles should be --- 3, 5, 6.

Lower mileage --- faster pace is best.

I dont think Marciano was that stupid to run 10-=12 miles --- everyday.

Well apparently he did. Seemed to work for him. Long distance training does build stamina (do yourself a favor and don't drink the Kool-Aid that only sprints build stamina. I'm sorry, that's simply wrong, at least for a pro fighter).
zippy is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #30
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
He worked out like no other to get that. Ive read that he would hit the heavybag for 60 rounds (he used a 300lb bag too). He used to skip rope a long time as well. IMO Marciano could keep his insane work rate and stamina up to around 205
Marciano vs 300 or so lb "super HWS".. Marciano doesn't have a chance against those lumbering fighters. He was just way too small and lacked the power They were WAY too fast for him as well..............I suppose so. If one wishes to look at film, Rocky knocked the 300lb bag around like it was a 50 lb bag, of course bags don't fight back, but slow, large weight, punchers do.

Of course the smaller HWs hit with great speed... Just how many times did they really land against a Marciano? Well let's just say the little dudes Marciano faced didn't land on him all that much. Marciano's defense as a champ was very hard to fight against - and his defense did improve during his reign.

About the only chance any fighter since Marciano would have against Marciano is if they could keep him off. Yeah, most were bigger, but your ass better be able to keep him away from you - otherwise you lose, regardless of size....
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum