Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,491
vCash: 118
Default George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Some inconsistencies looking over his record.

He took some of the most disgusting punishment I've ever seen from Liston and wasn't even floored.

But then Quarry TKO'ed him in two.

But then he went the distance with Quarry.

I mean, was he stopped on his feet a lot, like he was against Liston?

I can't see the guy purely KO'ed as much as his record indicates, looking at the Liston fight.
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Some inconsistencies looking over his record.

He took some of the most disgusting punishment I've ever seen from Liston and wasn't even floored.

But then Quarry TKO'ed him in two.

But then he went the distance with Quarry.

I mean, was he stopped on his feet a lot, like he was against Liston?

I can't see the guy purely KO'ed as much as his record indicates, looking at the Liston fight.
Scrap Iron Johnson was one of those rare journeyman who could take a licking and keep on ticking. It is a well kept secret in boxing that Scrap Iron Johnson might have defeated Joe Frazier if the judges had been honest.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Scrap Iron Johnson was one of those rare journeyman who could take a licking and keep on ticking. It is a well kept secret in boxing that Scrap Iron Johnson might have defeated Joe Frazier if the judges had been honest.
Have you seen the Frazier-Johnson fight ?

Who thought Johnson deserved the verdict ?
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Some inconsistencies looking over his record.

He took some of the most disgusting punishment I've ever seen from Liston and wasn't even floored.

But then Quarry TKO'ed him in two.

But then he went the distance with Quarry.

I mean, was he stopped on his feet a lot, like he was against Liston?

I can't see the guy purely KO'ed as much as his record indicates, looking at the Liston fight.
He was ko'd in one round by Andy Kendall. Hard to imagine, after watching the Liston film.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Have you seen the Frazier-Johnson fight ?

Who thought Johnson deserved the verdict ?
I have not seen the fight. I have read a report that said the decsion was disputed and some in the crowd felt Johnson won. Here's a tid bit from the report:

Quote:
Scrap Iron took Frazier apart that night. Frazier could not figure him out. When the decision was announced that Frazier won there was a riot. Chairs thrown, bottles tossed, people hurt, ambulances arrived.

Years later, shortly after Frazier retired, he was asked at a news conference who his toughest opponent was. Every media guy in attendance knew he would say Ali but Frazier said "my toughest opponent was Scrap Iron Johnson years ago in LA".

A few years later Scrap Iron Johnson died and many former local boxers attended his funeral. And guess who showed up after all those years. Yep, Joe Frazier. After the funeral Scrap Iron Johnsons wife told Joe "the highlight of my husbands career was the day you told the media that he was your toughest opponent. He could not believe that after all those years had past that you would remember him Joe."
Scrap Iron Johnson, big, rolls of fat hanging over his trunks that night, a club fighter against a powerful young up-and-comer.

But that night was his night. He took Frazier apart. And Joe never forgot it.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Scrap Iron Johnson was one of those rare journeyman who could take a licking and keep on ticking. It is a well kept secret in boxing that Scrap Iron Johnson might have defeated Joe Frazier if the judges had been honest.
"Scrap Iron Johnson won the hearts of 9,155 Olympic Auditorium fans Thursday night, but that is all he won in his 10-round battle with Joe Frazier."
-Los Angeles Times, May 5, 1967
---------------------------------------------------------------
"An Upset by 'Scrap
Frazier Held to Decision Win
By DAVE TAYLOR
Dogged underdog George (Scrap Iron) Johnson, the heavyweight fireplug from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], lost a lopsided 10-rounder to the world's No. 2 man, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]zier, but it was as good as an upset in the minds of screaming fans at Olympic Auditorium Thursday. "
-The Independent, May 5, 1967
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Frazier Is Victor
Unbeaten heavyweight Joe Frazier of Philadelphia dealt a beating, but had to settle for a unanimous decision over durable George Scrap Iron Johnson of Los Angeles, in a punishing fight Thursday before more than 9,000 fans in Olympic Auditorium."
-Port Arthur News, Friday, May 5, 1967
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe you ought to be a bit more careful with your sources, no?
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Mendoza, you forgot to say where that report is from, but thanks for showing it anyway. Intersting quote from Frazier on his toughest opponent.

From the reports MarcianoFrazier has supplied it seems as if Johnson can only be credited with a plucky effort in surviving a beating and going the distance. The judges scores were probably fair.
Thanks MF.

It's interesting that Johnson proved so durable against Frazier and Liston, but went out quick against some lesser fighters. Strange things happen in the boxing game, I guess.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Mendoza, you forgot to say where that report is from, but thanks for showing it anyway. Intersting quote from Frazier on his toughest opponent.

From the reports MarcianoFrazier has supplied it seems as if Johnson can only be credited with a plucky effort in surviving a beating and going the distance. The judges scores were probably fair.
Thanks MF.

It's interesting that Johnson proved so durable against Frazier and Liston, but went out quick against some lesser fighters. Strange things happen in the boxing game, I guess.
The report is from a former fighter. I forget his name, but he was at the fight, and filmed it with a hand held camera.

Thanks for the reports Marciano_Frazier. I never read the report on the match. Perhaps Scrap Iron Johnson just had his share of moments, and won the crowd as the under dog.

Box rec reports the scoring as:

Referee: Lee Grossman 7-3
Judge: Joey Almos 7-2
Judge: Larry Rozadilla 10-0

All in favor of Frazier. This doesn't seem like one of those 6-4 cards where the favorite was lucky to win.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
The report is from a former fighter. I forget his name, but he was at the fight, and filmed it with a hand held camera.
Thanks.
I reckon he might well have got it wrong there, but I haven't seen the fight. Newspapers seemed to reckon the decision a fair one.

Of course Frazier was one of the greatest heavyweights of all time, as was Liston, so Scrap Iron's durable performances against them are a credit to him.

I guess some of those early exits he took against lesser fighters were just paydays, either not in any sort of shape or not making a real effort.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Thanks.
I reckon he might well have got it wrong there, but I haven't seen the fight. Newspapers seemed to reckon the decision a fair one.

Of course Frazier was one of the greatest heavyweights of all time, as was Liston, so Scrap Iron's durable performances against them are a credit to him.

I guess some of those early exits he took against lesser fighters were just paydays, either not in any sort of shape or not making a real effort.
I saw the fight "live" on TV .....it came on real late in Dallas since it was a LA Calif. fight. It was 40 years ago in 1967.

referee: Lee Grossman 3-7 | judge: Joey Almos 2-7 | judge: Larry Rozadilla 0-10 ~

I remember the fight being competitive, with Frazier still learning his trade, and Johnson getting in his share of punches.

But I thought Frazier won back then.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
BIG DEE
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 261
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

BIG DEE HERE= I watched that fight with my father in 1967 and Frazier beat
Scrap Iron Johnson like a drum over the entire 10 rds. Johnson was just beaten badly as he was a target for Frazier to unload on. The Liston fight Liston let him stay the 7 rds it went as he dropped Johnson early in the fight
and could have KOed him then and there but wanted the rounds as he knew Johnson couldn`t hurt him. Liston took his time and just took Scrap Iron apart
untill Johnson couldn`t take anymore. The Quarry KO was one of Jerry Quarry`s greatest KOs as Johnson backed Jerry into a corner and the second
Jerry`s back touched the turnbuckle he turned on a left hook that crashed
into Scrap Iron`s jaw. The hook knocked Johnson clear across the ring
down out cold. Referee Lee Grosscup didn`t even both to count as the KO was that hard and dramatic. THE FRAZIER VS SCRAP IRON JOHNSON FIGHT WASN`T EVEN CLOSE AS FRAZIER DOMINATED FROM THE 1ST TO THE LAST BELL ENDING THE 10TH RD.
BIG DEE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: George "Scrap Iron" Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano Frazier
"Scrap Iron Johnson won the hearts of 9,155 Olympic Auditorium fans Thursday night, but that is all he won in his 10-round battle with Joe Frazier."
-Los Angeles Times, May 5, 1967
---------------------------------------------------------------
"An Upset by 'Scrap
Frazier Held to Decision Win
By DAVE TAYLOR
Dogged underdog George (Scrap Iron) Johnson, the heavyweight fireplug from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], lost a lopsided 10-rounder to the world's No. 2 man, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]zier, but it was as good as an upset in the minds of screaming fans at Olympic Auditorium Thursday. "
-The Independent, May 5, 1967
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Frazier Is Victor
Unbeaten heavyweight Joe Frazier of Philadelphia dealt a beating, but had to settle for a unanimous decision over durable George Scrap Iron Johnson of Los Angeles, in a punishing fight Thursday before more than 9,000 fans in Olympic Auditorium."
-Port Arthur News, Friday, May 5, 1967
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe you ought to be a bit more careful with your sources, no?
Thanks for setting the record straight, Marciano Frazier.
yancey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013