Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Hughes vs. Kos, Karo, Fitch etc.

It seems like there have been a lot of times in mma where a new "generation" of skill sets or fighting styles comes along and makes the previous one obsolete. Royce Gracie is a good example of this, and I think that this was 100% the point of feeding Gracie to Hughes a year ago; it showed that it's not an issue of past champs getting older but of new champs being in another league of skill. The argument goes that prime for prime the current champs are better than all the past champs because of the style difference.

My question is, is that what we're seeing now with Hughes? Is GSP just the next generation? IMO that's not it at all. I think Hughes probably beats every other 170 pounder in the ufc and GSP is just that much better than everyone else. It's not as if he doesn't have a win in a long time; he beat Lytle easily right before this fight.

Thoughts?
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Default Re: Hughes vs. Kos, Karo, Fitch etc.

Almost EVERY current MMA fighter cross trains in multiple disciplines.The diffrence with GSP is that he excels at all of them.He lives and breathes his sport and is ALWAYS in shape.How many guys would sign to take on a top contender and stud like Hughes in 4 weeks? Not many thats for sure.GSP isnt the new MMA athlete in the sense that Frank Shamrock was back in the 90`s his just very good at most disciplines and learns extremely fast with a high attention to detail.Most guys like Hughes Liddell and Tito have simply stuck to what there good at.Hence they`ve eventually been found out.GSP continues to evolve and doesnt have one preeminent style.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Almost EVERY current MMA fighter cross trains in multiple disciplines.The diffrence with GSP is that he excels at all of them.He lives and breathes his sport and is ALWAYS in shape.How many guys would sign to take on a top contender and stud like Hughes in 4 weeks? Not many thats for sure.GSP isnt the new MMA athlete in the sense that Frank Shamrock was back in the 90`s his just very good at most disciplines and learns extremely fast with a high attention to detail.Most guys like Hughes Liddell and Tito have simply stuck to what there good at.Hence they`ve eventually been found out.GSP continues to evolve and doesnt have one preeminent style.
I agree. What about Hughes vs. the rest of the division?
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart
Matt beats kos easily
why would you say that? GSp destroyed hughes twice in a row, he fought KOS and it went to decision. hos is prob a better wrestler and his stand up has greatly improved...that's why GSP choos not to stand with him....I think Kos beats Hughes. Hughes is a dinosaur who lasted longer than he should have....the guy can't even throw a punch, for that matter I would take Fitch over him as well.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm
I agree. What about Hughes vs. the rest of the division?
Hughes is still one of the best welters in the world.The problem is he`ll never beat GSP.At 34 he doesnt have many options other than retirement or a move up in weight.His strength and wrestling would possibly be negated at middleweight but he`d still be a welcome addition if he wanted to continue his MMA career.Hughes is a very proud man though so i dont see that happening anytime soon.Even at middleweight theres guys like Silva Henderson and Rich Franklin.All of whom would give him fits.Im pretty sure we know what Hughes will do.He`ll go out on a win and retire back to his farm to hunt some more deer and read his Bible.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
why would you say that? GSp destroyed hughes twice in a row, he fought KOS and it went to decision. hos is prob a better wrestler and his stand up has greatly improved...that's why GSP choos not to stand with him....I think Kos beats Hughes. Hughes is a dinosaur who lasted longer than he should have....the guy can't even throw a punch, for that matter I would take Fitch over him as well.
Is he really? This is the same as saying that it's not that GSP is that great, just that he got to Hughes before someone like Kos or Fitch "exposed" him to be a dinosaur. I don't think that's true. I'd love to see any of these fights get made, but Hughes hasn't looked bad in any fights not against GSP or Penn and was never in danger against Lytle who's a pretty decent fighter himself.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Is he really? This is the same as saying that it's not that GSP is that great, just that he got to Hughes before someone like Kos or Fitch "exposed" him to be a dinosaur. I don't think that's true. I'd love to see any of these fights get made, but Hughes hasn't looked bad in any fights not against GSP or Penn and was never in danger against Lytle who's a pretty decent fighter himself.
Penn exposed him in there 1st bout and did the same in there 2nd up until he seperated his rib.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Penn exposed him in there 1st bout and did the same in there 2nd up until he seperated his rib.
Penn "exposed" Hughes as not being as good as he was, but after that Hughes won fight after fight after fight. This hardly makes him a dinosaur, it just means he's not on the very top tier with Penn and GSP.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think Fitch is a very dangerous fighter, and would beat Kos and Hughes. I know Karo is ducking him like crazy.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Hughes does not work on much more than wrestling and submissions from the mount postion. I have seen a lot of his training footage and he works on his game plan and that's it, come out get a take down, get mount, then GNP or Sub.

It showed in this last fight because as soon as the fight started he was trying to get a double leg and was shooting from way too far outside. He didn't even try to set it up with striking.

He just refuses to evolve with the sport. He is stuck in his ways, IMHO.

I would not be suprised if some of these other fighters like Fitch, Karo, and Kos have Hughes number as well. Simply because we and they knew exactly what Hughes is going to do and his stand up is almost non-existant.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrtfo
Hughes does not work on much more than wrestling and submissions from the mount postion. I have seen a lot of his training footage and he works on his game plan and that's it, come out get a take down, get mount, then GNP or Sub.

It showed in this last fight because as soon as the fight started he was trying to get a double leg and was shooting from way too far outside. He didn't even try to set it up with striking.

He just refuses to evolve with the sport. He is stuck in his ways, IMHO.

I would not be suprised if some of these other fighters like Fitch, Karo, and Kos have Hughes number as well. Simply because we and they knew exactly what Hughes is going to do and his stand up is almost non-existant.
I don't know...that Goldberg guy says during every one of his fights that he has vastly improved his striking. Evidently, it's "unbelievable".
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

People calling GSP the future of MMA I think are underrating just how much of a freak he really is. There won't be hundreds of GSP's in twenty years. GSP clones maybe...but not actual GSP's.

Hughes could fight on, but probably won't. Has nothing to prove and just suffered a beatdown that would make any top fighter reluctant to get back in the game.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #13
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Penn "exposed" Hughes as not being as good as he was, but after that Hughes won fight after fight after fight. This hardly makes him a dinosaur, it just means he's not on the very top tier with Penn and GSP.
Hey dont get it twisted i dont think Hughes is a dinosaur in the slightest.But his game hasnt evolved.His just continued to do what his always been effective at with litte change to his routine.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I don't know...that Goldberg guy says during every one of his fights that he has vastly improved his striking. Evidently, it's "unbelievable".
Goldberg is a clown.He never should have left the WWF.Ignore anything he says.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Goldberg is a clown.He never should have left the WWF.Ignore anything he says.
I know man. It was a joke. That guy is the worst commentator I can think of. He annoys me in every fight I watch.
Wilhelm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum