Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Hopkins/Taylor - How Does the Classic Forum...

View these two fights?

How do you feel they'll be viewed in 20-30 years time?

Who do you feel won both of them and why?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Hopkins/Taylor - How Does the Classic Forum...

Was it a money issue, with the title needing to be given to a younger, fresher up and coming fighter?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I felt Hopkins won both of them quite honestly...The first fight by a larger margin...the second fight was very close...I thought Hopkins would press Taylor earlier in the fight...but he didn't.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

They were both very close fights.

Hopkins's workrate has been low since the 3rd Allen fight in 2004, probably the signs of his advanced age. He started very slowly against Taylor in terms of letting his hands go, but Taylor wasn't landing much either. I had the first fight even. Duane Ford scoring the 12th round for Taylor, and therefore Taylor won the fight, was a disgrace. What do you expect from a guy who had Foreman losing to Moorer by just one point after nine rounds?

I had Hopkins winning the rematch. It was another close fight with a lot of very close rounds, so I didn't really have much of a problem with the cards.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Behavior
They were both very close fights.

Hopkins's workrate has been low since the 3rd Allen fight in 2004, probably the signs of his advanced age. He started very slowly against Taylor in terms of letting his hands go, but Taylor wasn't landing much either. I had the first fight even. Duane Ford scoring the 12th round for Taylor, and therefore Taylor won the fight, was a disgrace. What do you expect from a guy who had Foreman losing to Moorer by just one point after nine rounds?
Was there a reason behind the cards seemingly being stacked against Hopkins?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
I felt Hopkins won both of them quite honestly...The first fight by a larger margin...the second fight was very close...I thought Hopkins would press Taylor earlier in the fight...but he didn't.
I have B-hop winning the first and a draw in the second. With a total fight perspective I would clearly give both to B-Hop...but with the 10 pt must I had it 115-113 and 114-114...he landed more and better blows, but using the scoring system in place I can't give him a win in the 2nd one....but either way the title should still be his...I am disappointed in the decision, but can't call it a major robbery by comparrison to some others. I also thought/hoped/wished Hop would press the action earlier as well...especially in pt 2
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

I thought that Hopkins won the first and Taylor the second , the first may have been a draw , but ill stick with Hopkins won it
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
dmille
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Before the fight please put the champion's name first. Examples:

Hopkins-Taylor 1
Taylor-Hopkins 2

After the fight please put the winner's name first. Examples:

Frazier-Ali 1
Duran-Leonard 1

Thank you.
dmille is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
I thought that Hopkins won the first and Taylor the second , the first may have been a draw

I agree with the bits in bold. How will they be viewed in 20/30 time (as the author states)? As two of the most boring fights in history of course. Hopkins' performance in fight two was particularly poor, considering what happened in fight one. The first fight, which i felt was a draw or Taylor by a point, saw Hopkins the victim of the 10-point must system, he'd have been given the nod in some of the older scoring ways but, alas, this completely dull era for, in my view, boxing's best division, came to an end and tears were few and far between. The rematch Taylor won.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Hopkins won the first, but lost the rematch on my scorecard.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
I agree with the bits in bold. How will they be viewed in 20/30 time (as the author states)? As two of the most boring fights in history of course. Hopkins' performance in fight two was particularly poor, considering what happened in fight one. The first fight, which i felt was a draw or Taylor by a point, saw Hopkins the victim of the 10-point must system, he'd have been given the nod in some of the older scoring ways but, alas, this completely dull era for, in my view, boxing's best division, came to an end and tears were few and far between. The rematch Taylor won.
I wouldnt call their fight boring , i know what you mean , but thats just showing no respect . Hopkins is a great fighter , and Taylor was a potential great at the time , i liked it
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
I wouldnt call their fight boring , i know what you mean , but thats just showing no respect . Hopkins is a great fighter , and Taylor was a potential great at the time , i liked it

Fair enough. Maybe some people liked watching Joey Maxim and Johnny Saxton too, back in the day?
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Fair enough. Maybe some people liked watching Joey Maxim and Johnny Saxton too, back in the day?
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #14
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

First fight: 115-114 Taylor

I gave Hopkins rounds 5,9,10,11 and 12. I gave Taylor rounds 1,2,4,6,7 and 8. I had round 3 even.

Second fight: 115-115 Draw

I gave Hopkins rounds 4,7,8,9 and 10. I gave Taylor rounds 1,2,5,6 and 11. I had rounds 3 and 12 even.

Both fights could have gone either way and both guys were so horrible that it doesn't matter which way the fights actually did go.

How will they be remembered? Hopefully they will be forgotten. Not too important to Hopkins' legacy imo, he was fairly done by that stage, but to those that consider his subsequent wins against Tarver and Wright important (don't really consider Tarver win that important and I don't think he beat Wright whilst Wright was fighting way outside his comfort zone) they may have some relevance.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 01-03-2008 at 12:22 AM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I thought that Hopkins looked like the better fighter in both fights, but lost close decisions in both fights. Taylor's blows were heavier, and were the deciding factor in rounds that were close. Especially since nothing was going on in some of those rounds. I respect Hopkins' feinting when it sets something up. Otherwise, he's just making threats. Hopkins lost because he was not active enough, early enough.

When Manny Pacquiao drew with Juan Manuel Marquez, I thought Marquez should have lost by like a point. Marquez looked like the better fighter in a fight he should have lost. Hopkins looked like the better fighter in a fight he could have won had he been a little more active in the early stages.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum