Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Will Cotto finish his career with a better resume then Mayweather?

IMO yes if he can keep his current form running, and continue to persue the top guys. He has gradually increased the level of his opponents, and now is looking to make the big fights happen. With so much talent in the welterweight division, Cotto has a golden opportunity to solidify a spot as an ATG, provided he can continue winning obviously. Whilst this may seem obvious, many great fighters have not been able to have a resume to mirror their skills due to a lack of truley elite fighters within their weight division during their time at the top. Cotto has struck a gold mine in this sense, and provided he fights only top comp from here on out, he could "potentially" go down as one of the greats.
MSTR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Cotto finish his career with a better resume then Mayweather?

I'll be hard. Floyd is a 5 division champ and did it under 10 years. Cotto clearly won't do this(he would have to win a smw title to be a 5 division champ). Also, Cotto is almost 27, has only 2 paper titles to his name, and his best win was against a guy that Floyd dusted off a year earlier. By the Time Floyd was 27 he had won 2 legit titles, and had beaten Castillo twice, Corrales, Jesus Chavez, and Carlos and Genaro Hernandez. Here is where Cotto has chance though. Since turning 27 Floyd's only good wins were against Judah and De La Hoya. The WW division is loaded right now and Cotto has the chance to add some good names to his resume. Furthermore, it's possible for Cotto to win a title at 154. Being a 3 division champ and beating say.. Margarito, Clotty,Mosely, and Berto(in a year or two when he's ready), and 1 or 2 top tier JMW could put Cotto past Mayweather.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
platnumpapi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
I'll be hard. Floyd is a 5 division champ and did it under 10 years. Cotto clearly won't do this(he would have to win a smw title to be a 5 division champ). Also, Cotto is almost 27, has only 2 paper titles to his name, and his best win was against a guy that Floyd dusted off a year earlier. By the Time Floyd was 27 he had won 2 legit titles, and had beaten Castillo twice, Corrales, Jesus Chavez, and Carlos and Genaro Hernandez. Here is where Cotto has chance though. Since turning 27 Floyd's only good wins were against Judah and De La Hoya. The WW division is loaded right now and Cotto has the chance to add some good names to his resume. Furthermore, it's possible for Cotto to win a title at 154. Being a 3 division champ and beating say.. Margarito, Clotty,Mosely, and Berto(in a year or two when he's ready), and 1 or 2 top tier JMW could put Cotto past Mayweather.

hard my ass its impossible.i dout cotto will go pass 147.and hes not the best in that divsion either.
pbf will ud him
mosley late stop
margo would be a 50 50 fight
the answer is no no no no no no no no.

he dont have a resume close to pbf's and as long as pbf still fights he never will.

pbf is looking to fight mosley or hatton
cotto is looking for the winner of margo and williams.big differ in the whos whos list.

both fighters are still active even mayweather jr, you as question like that when they are both retired but i can answer that one its no.
platnumpapi is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

Cotto still has a LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG way to go, but let's hope he fulfills his potential.
compukiller is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
Tu papa
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Location: Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it

Quote:
that's not being harsh. that's telling it like it is. and I'm a rican in pr btw. but I don't see cotto winning belts above 154. to short. but cotto can surely do a lot in 147, and I mean a lot. I think he can even beat pbf at 147 but that would not mean he was the better fighter when their careers are over, just that he was bigger and stroger. but who knows, it all depends how he beats him.

btw great ****ing post. and sory no caps, typing from my cel phone.
Tu papa is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novirasputin

EAS-ILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its all a matter of getting the fights, which is quite possible.
Why so easy?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 166

at the rate cotto's going right now? i won't be surprised if he does. nowhere near pbf's titles. i think cotto will stack up on defenses of a title rather than keep moving up
theunderdog is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Depends on what Mayweather does too...if Cotto beats De La Hoya, Mosley, Mayweather, Hatton, and cleans out 147, and wins a belt or two at 154, he can retire having the better career, but honestly, I think Floyd will go down the greater fighter.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

He needs to start winning Lineal Titles. But I think that he can be an All Time Great, and more respected than PBF.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
Tu papa
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Location: Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderdog
at the rate cotto's going right now? i won't be surprised if he does. nowhere near pbf's titles. i think cotto will stack up on defenses of a title rather than keep moving up
agreed. he could pull a bhop at welter and be great.
Tu papa is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Time will tell if he will be another Fernando Vargas, another Edwin Rosario, or this generation's Chavez or Duran...the sky is the limit for Cotto
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #12
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
You make so really good points, but IMO being a 5 weight world champion doesn't really enhance legacy, otherwise Oscar would be the best ever. Its who you fight. And Cotto has a great chance to fight some of the best in Floyd, Hatton, Mosley, Marg, Oscar ect. Even if he loses to one of these guys, provided he wins most he could end up being better then floyd. Floyd did start his career stronger, but really wasted most of his prime on Gatti, Brussels, Baldomir, Mitchell ect who didn't do anything for his resume apart from their titles.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #13
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novirasputin
Cause he is already fighting OTHER undefeated prospects and beating them convincingly.

With the body of work regarding tehse guys the chances and probability of them doing something increases.

Case in point:

PBF beat Corrales who's success raised PBF's stock.

Cotto already beat Malignaggi (an HBO hype job) and Maussa who became champ.

Quintana, Pinto, etc. can still do something.

If he continues on this path the probability of them becoming the Corrales and Castillo's for him will go up.

Not including super fights which don't diminish or devalue him like they didn't DLH or Mosley.

I think DLH gets ****ed up by Cotto to be honest.

DLH is all wrong for Cotto style wise. And also, Cotto has been bought along very carefully. He's fought decent comp, but no real great fighters (yet).

PBF's resume is too full to even compare to Cotto's, and honestly I think it is unfair to Cotto at this young age. PBF has fought and beaten a few HOF fighters, something Cotto has yet to achieve.

And Malinaggi is no hype job. He took Cotto to the edge with a broken jaw, and did not quit, fold, or get stopped. He has shown, heart, skill, and a chin.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
IsaL
A D M I N
East Side VIP

vCash: 740

Cotto might not accomplish 5 divisions but he will win something PBF never did and has long yearned for..A huge FAN BASE that respects and loves him for being a fighter. That is more than medals, that is what fighters fight for after they have the $$$.
IsaL is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #15
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UliUli
Cotto might not accomplish 5 divisions but he will win something PBF never did and has long yearned for..A huge FAN BASE that respects and loves him for being a fighter. That is more than medals, that is what fighters fight for after they have the $$$.
Maybe, but that's assuming he beats everyone in front of him, which is not guaranteed.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum