Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #16
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Favourite Joe Louis performances ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Notice that Louis delivered that hook from a southpaw stance instead of lunging in.
Good observation, I never noticed that. Maybe that's how he got the maximum power from the shot.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
Good observation, I never noticed that. Maybe that's how he got the maximum power from the shot.
It's not the first time I've seen Louis do that, either. Maybe his footwork was more scientific than we think.

Unlike Joe Frazier who needed to struggle his way inside using the conventional orthodox stance before delivering his hook, Louis on occasion seemed to turn the punch into a left cross, switching his feet to close the distance more effectively.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
pudding
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
My personal favorite is the Simon rematch. He showed the most skill and power in that one, ouitclassing and outbombing a 6'-4" 255lb. ripped superheavyweight like he did. Classic.

BORKED

Watch the big left hook at 3:07. Savage!!!!

What he did to Abe Simon he would have done to any of these modern superheavies.
pudding is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #19
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudding
What he did to Abe Simon he would have done to any of these modern superheavies.
I think he'd do something similar to most of them.

And that's conceding that a few of them are clearly a lot better than Simon.

But to a guy like Louis big guys tend to offer a bigger target and more opportunity for him to display his craft.

I'd pick Louis at his best to beat just about everyone. No one would be better than even money against him, IMO.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #20
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I've always enjoyed the Buddy Bear fight, thought they were underrated showings.
Me too
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #21
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchamp
It's the one Louis fight that I watch over and over again in awe.
This is probably true for most serious students of boxing. Watching it frame by frame can reveal things which could be missed while viewing it in real time. Maxie displayed a blistering hook which made Joe wince, battering Louis along the ropes with it at the outset of their fantastic opening round shootout that saw Joe come out on top, pounding Maxie into a corner as the bell ended the stanza.

Two of the instructional manuals in my boxing library are Boxing Simplified by John J. Walsh, the late great legendary boxing coach at the University of Wisconsin, illustrated with photographs, and Boxing by Walsh's rival boxing coach at the University of Michigan, Edwin Haislet, illustrated with line drawings, that was used as a reference manual by Bruce Lee in developing Jeet Kun Do. In these guides, Walsh and Haislet display the proper method for evading a right cross. About half a minute into round one, Louis brings those photographs and line drawings to life in sliding away from Maxie's cross, countering with a lighning hook as his prey leans in after the miss, while gracefully slipping back to the ropes and bouncing off to Maxie's right in returning to ring center.

Still photographs, line drawings, and literary descriptions are one thing. But Joe Louis brought a great deal of what Walsh and Haislet published to life. More than any other heavyweight champion, I would use footage of Louis as training material for aspiring boxers. Even his few flaws and errors are highly informative.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #22
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Walcott finish 2nd fight, Schmeling2, Conn 1,M. Baer
Bummy Davis is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum