Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Sonny's jab

vCash:
Default How did he get up from THAT ?!!

Some of those knockdowns where it was truly incredible to see the guy get up and resume fighting.

Razor Ruddock against Bonecrusher Smith - that right hand the Bonecrusher landed was an absolute H-bomb of a punch. Ruddock hit the deck like a ton of bricks, all tangled up.

Larry Holmes against Earnie Shavers - that was one of Shavers' hardest shots, thrown with speed and out of the blue. Holmes was unbelievable, he always got up (except v.Tyson the 3rd kd, but the fight was waved off anyway).

Joe Frazier against George Foreman - the 2nd knockdown in the first round of their first fight. That uppercut connected full-on, with full force, Frazier must have been knocked senseless momentarily. His head rattled like a crash test. That punch is a finishing punch, a "goodnight" punch, but somehow Frazier got up.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How did he get up from THAT ?!!

Ruddock-Morrison.
Come to think of it, Ruddock always seemed to look totally mangled and dead on the deck with his knockdowns. That guy had pretty impressive recuperative powers.

Here's one you don't hear much : Grant-Guinn?
Guinn's final left hook turned Grant's head temporarily into a completely different shape, and he face-planted on the canvas. Somehow he wobbled up to his feet by 8, but the ref wisely called it off. Looked for all the world that he wouldn't be getting up, imagine the Audley-Sprott KO but a bit heavier.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Tommy Hearns actually got up after being nailed by Barkley and what was worse in a moment madness Steele let the fight continue!

Herol Graham got up from that punch delivered by The Hawk Jackson and fought John Ashton the very next week.
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
Ruddock-Morrison.
Come to think of it, Ruddock always seemed to look totally mangled and dead on the deck with his knockdowns. That guy had pretty impressive recuperative powers.

Here's one you don't hear much : Grant-Guinn?
Guinn's final left hook turned Grant's head temporarily into a completely different shape, and he face-planted on the canvas. Somehow he wobbled up to his feet by 8, but the ref wisely called it off. Looked for all the world that he wouldn't be getting up, imagine the Audley-Sprott KO but a bit heavier.

Yeah, I've seen Guinn-Grant. I forgot Grant got up though !
He looked out cold when he toppled over, a brutal last punch.

I forgot to mention Moorer-Cooper. Looked like Moorer was knocked out in the first round.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
Ruddock-Morrison.
Ruddock-Lewis in round 1 of their fight is a good one as well.

How about Foreman-Frazier 1, the last knockdown? Frazier tried to work on his vertical jump after being hit by a right uppercut. Frazier got up, but he was staggering like an old woman.

Grant-Lewis (the third knockdown) is another good one. How did Grant get up when Lewis had seemingly broken his legs?

Buddy Baer-Joe Louis II, the final knockdown. Sure, Baer got counted out, but how did he EVER get up from that combo?
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Louis-Schmeling II the first knockdown, where he broke Schmeling's neck. I was suprised of how quicly Max got up from that one!

Last edited by TAM83; 12-04-2006 at 01:01 PM.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Dick Tiger's right hand knockdown of Roger Rouse.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
Louis-Schmeling II the first knockdown, where he broke Schmeling's neck. I was suprised of how quicly Max got up from that one!
Louis broke a vertebrae or two if we go by old accounts and they were quite low down. Whatever the case, Schmeling was hurt badly but his neck was definitely intact.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Louis broke a vertebrae or two if we go by old accounts and they were quite low down. Whatever the case, Schmeling was hurt badly but his neck was definitely intact.
Well, if his neck wasn't broken from that one, he had a strong neck! The way his head snapped and the loud scream he let out still makes me wonder how the fight didn't end right there.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
Well, if his neck wasn't broken from that one, he had a strong neck! The way his head snapped and the loud scream he let out still makes me wonder how the fight didn't end right there.
He screamed before the first knockdown. He screamed as he was on the ropes in reply not to the body shot that made his torso take a triangular form (seriously, pause it as the punch lands), but the one that landed behind his elbow towards the back of his ribcage shortly after.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I seem to remember Rocky Lockridge Nailing Tony Lopez with a perfect MONSTER overhand right that sent Lopez across the ring and onto his back...not sure how he got up...let alone come back to win a decision!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Second knockdown of Jimmy Ellis by Frazier's left hook. Ellis looked like he got shot. I was also surprised by how Briggs kept getting up from monster combinations that landed flush from Lewis.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
joe33

vCash:

Jess willard gets a ton of shit from some,but he keep getting of his arse,against dempsey,WITH DEMPSEY standing right behind him hehe,guy was brave(or dumb) as ****,some of those shots even on shitty old slow tape looked brutal,and must have been to put down the 6ft 7 willard

Primo canerra also took brutal punches from both max baer and others,but also seemed to get back up,guy may not have been much good(though i think he gets a rough time on that),but he was a really brave man
Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
I was watching Tyson-Ribalta (sp?) the other day and in the second round, Tyson connected with a right hand to the body followed by a right uppercut to the head. It was nasty, looked like it almost ripped his head off.
the response form ribalta was amazing...almost like somone had just slapped him round the face a mixture of this and this

also i would like to mentionthe teryr norris - julian jackson.

i have regarded norris as a stronger chinned thna poeple actualy believe but this was the one that proves it for me.

terry norris is backed up on the ropes while he was jabbing. julian throws a light left jab to the body which makes terry's gaurd drop a centmeter to low...becuase a huge right hand crashes on to norris's jaw and makes him stiffin like a corpse totally puts him to sleep then a left hook by julian made terry wakes him up again and then another right uppercut knocks him face first to the floor.

after all that terry gets up at the count of 8
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Second knockdown of Jimmy Ellis by Frazier's left hook. Ellis looked like he got shot. I was also surprised by how Briggs kept getting up from monster combinations that landed flush from Lewis.
good call i recorded it tonight on chan 5 broadcast form ITV....very strange to watch. anyways great shot it was almost like a counter left hook...maybe the first ever check hook in history
Vantage_West is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum