Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Tricks77
Sergio By God Martinez
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Klitschko-Related Thoughts

I know that there is a lot of disparaging of both Klitschko brothers, especially Wladimir, going around over the past few years. They're viewed primarily as "robotic", "boring", "over-rated", and many other unflattering adjectives. There is, however, one thing that I've noticed about the Klitschko brothers and the heavyweight division as a whole of late, and I'd like to share said observation with all of you fine boxing fans out there.

With the exception of certain deluded individuals such as James Toney and those who seek fiduciary gains above all else, such as David Haye, take a look around the heavyweight division. Generally after interviews, a fighter is asked about his future prospects - his plans for future opponents and fights. In the heavyweight division, those questions inevitably lead to the Klitschko brothers. Several times now, from fighters such as Price, Povetkin, Fury, Mitchell, (the list goes on) we have heard the Klitschko's name mentioned and the fighters themselves say that they are not ready, and propose a future date (perhaps a year or two) in which they might be better prepared to face either one of the brothers.

So my question is this: if the Klitschko brothers are so awful, so robotic, so bad for boxing, why is it that up-and-coming fighters will admit to a camera that they are not ready to step into the ring with them? Can you imagine this in any other division? Certainly not! Any time anyone, regardless of their level of talent or success, is even within spitting distance of the welterweight division, the names of Pacquiao and Mayweather come up during interviews. The money is right, sure, but so would it be with the Klitchkos and 50,000 fans in Berlin or Munchen. Never have I seen Max Kellerman get in the ring with a prospect, and when he asks them about a fight with a titleholder, have them say that they aren't ready - unless it's in the heavyweight division.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am not one of those people that says either one of the Klitchkos is the greatest ever. I am not a fanboy, or a "nut-hugger". I do recognize behavior and can ****yze trends. The gulf that separates Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko from the remainder of the heavyweight division is unequalled in any other division in boxing, and this is made obvious by the fact that prospects and rising stars will look right into a television camera and say that they aren't ready to fight them.

I was excited when watching the Klitschko-Mormeck fight, today. I knew the outcome. Anyone with an iota of sense knew what was going to happen. I frowned and stated my displeasure when Klitschko grabbed, and leaned on Mormeck's neck. I thought that was unnecessary, and was not within the rules of our sweet science. Yet, judgment was coming. One could feel the electricity. The piston-like jab found its home entirely too frequently for the fight to last long. Mormeck wove his way inside, yet found himself against the Ukranian's chest and flatly refused to let his hands go before he was tied up and pushed away by the referee. One could tell that Klitschko wanted to finish the fight, by the way he would double, nay, triple the jab - double, nay, triple, nay, quadruple the left hooks he threw at the cowering Frenchman. It was just a matter of time. When that big right hand detonated on the point of Mormeck's chin, I smiled. Klitschko did everything that he was supposed to do against one of the only boxers that would step into the ring with him. Everyone else is 'not ready'.

I don't ask for worship, or an admittance of greatness. I don't even appellate either of the brothers as such, at this point. At least one must wait until a career has reached its conclusion to make such assertions. I do ask, however, that one grant that the Klitschko brothers fight who is out there, and they do what heavyweights are supposed to do - dominate and stop their opponents.
Tricks77 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
darling dame
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Klitschko-Related Thoughts

Good,fair decent post, never thought THAT WAY< good point
darling dame is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

Sorry man I could not read more than a sentence of your long ass post.

Do not really care about the heavies, just bored, only the bros are half way decent the rest suck *****. I hope this answers what ever question you are asking or point you are trying to make
JASPER is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
Tricks77
Sergio By God Martinez
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASPER View Post

Do not really care about the heavies, just bored, only the bros are half way decent the rest suck *****. I hope this answers what ever question you are asking or point you are trying to make
Thanks for your honesty. Yeah, the boredom was something I addressed in my post. My main point, though, was that it's not really logical to vehemently disparage them when they're, for all intents and purposes, 'pwning'. It's like hating Tiger Woods a few years ago because he was winning everything and nobody was good enough to challenge him. Or hating Michael Jordan because he was clearly a level above every other player on the court. Look at Cristobal Arreola. Is he fat? Sure. But he has major skill, and he has big power. Look at Tomasz Adamek. Proven at light heavyweight and cruiserweight. He's fast, he has an excellent chin, and he has impressive stamina and solid technique. Thompson is a solid all-around heavyweight with good power and size. Chagaev has great power and a massive left hook as well as an impressive amateur pedigree.

The Klitschkos aren't in against "stiffs" or "bums". Is Mormeck the ideal challenger for a dominant heavyweight champion? No. Is it because he's a sub-par fighter? No. He gave Haye all he could handle and went life-and-death twice with O'Neil Bell and beat Virgil Hill.

All I ask is that we view the Klitschkos, not against the greatest heavyweights in history who were fortunate enough to have their arch-rivals, such as the 'golden era' of Ali/Frazier/Foreman, but view them in the situation in which they fight. Imagine how much greater Floyd Mayweather would look if he had to get up off the canvas three times to grit out a win over a rugged opponent. People would say that he had heart, determination, a willingness to win, a warrior mentality. But he doesn't have to do that, and so he is belittled as a result. I cannot stand Floyd or his attitude, or the way he carries himself - but I sure as hell respect his ability in the ring.
Tricks77 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
Tricks77
Sergio By God Martinez
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling dame View Post
Good,fair decent post, never thought THAT WAY< good point
Thank you. I do sincerely appreciate that.

I hope more view it the same way, but I'm more than prepared for the fact that the majority of readers will simply respond with a declaration of how the "*****kos" "suck" and "Lewis TKO6".

Vitali Klitschko lost against Lewis and Byrd. Wladimir Klitschko has been on the canvas 11 times. Yes. We know these things. But the fact is, we cannot make their challengers better or more willing to fight them. They fight more often than most titleholders and do so against the best that are willing to step into the ring.
Tricks77 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
bremen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASPER View Post

We are all aware that you know **** about boxing. No need to stress that point.
bremen is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
Malden
East Side Guru

vCash: 284988

Good post Tricks. I completely agree.
Malden is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

The reason the Klitschko haters fail to mention that nobody else wants to fight them is intellectual dishonesty. They know there are few opponents willing to fight Wlad.

With Mormeck they were hoping the fight would go into the late rounds so they could say 'He should have gotten him outta there sooner' (which would be a fair point) but since that didn't happen they don't have anything valid to say
Squire is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
Tricks77
Sergio By God Martinez
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malden View Post
Good post Tricks. I completely agree.
Thanks, brother.
Tricks77 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
Tricks77
Sergio By God Martinez
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
The reason the Klitschko haters fail to mention that nobody else wants to fight them is intellectual dishonesty. They know there are few opponents willing to fight Wlad.

With Mormeck they were hoping the fight would go into the late rounds so they could say 'He should have gotten him outta there sooner' (which would be a fair point) but since that didn't happen they don't have anything valid to say
Agreed - most of what I was seeing was, "Klitschko needs to get him out of there in the first five rounds". Well, he did it in four, and he's not a man that usually goes for the early knockout.
Tricks77 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
sdsfinest22
Pound 4 Pound
East Side VIP

I once hated the Klitschkos-couldn't stand em.

With that said I GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE-

The Klitschkos only win...thats it-..how can you hate on that..

Especially when they KO the MAJORITY OF THEIR OPPONENTS.
sdsfinest22 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #12
wlad1111
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1137

As a klitchko fan I am going to say that this fight was a bit painful to watch. It did not look like Mormech was even trying to win. He knew the outcome and just accepted it like the rest of us. He was there for the money and Wlad was there for 50th knockout.
Now that Haye hype is finally over there is nothing for Wlad to look forward to.
wlad1111 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #13
Tricks77
Sergio By God Martinez
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsfinest22 View Post
I once hated the Klitschkos-couldn't stand em.

With that said I GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE-

The Klitschkos only win...thats it-..how can you hate on that..

Especially when they KO the MAJORITY OF THEIR OPPONENTS.
See, that's all I ask. What you just said is the essence of my point right there.

I find Bernard Hopkins' style deplorable. It's painful to watch, for me. I find it dull and uninteresting - yet, I would never decry his ability or try to belittle his accomplishments just because I don't find his style of fighting appealing. He wins. He defeats his opponents. He is a master ring general and finds ways to establish victory over men with physical and chronological advantages using his experience, his intelligence and his training. How he dismantled Kelly Pavlik was nothing short of a work of art.

It's not as though they can seek challenges at a higher weight class, and the fact that both of them hover about 50 pounds above the cruiserweight limit effectively eliminates any potential possibility of them going down a weight. What else can they do, except win against the available opposition who are willing to fight?
Tricks77 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 722

One of the best posts I have ever read on here. Not only the OP but all your posts in this thread. My respect, Sir.

Champion is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #15
Regeza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 327

Povetkin needs to step up or be branded a coward, if the latter did not already happen.
Regeza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum