I wasn't around at the time, I prefer Benn 10 18.18%
I wasn't around at the time, I prefer Eubank 6 10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Were you a Eubank man or a Benn man?

I supported Michael Watson.

I didn't really have a favourite in Benn-Eubank 1.
I always liked Benn since about 1987, but I never hated Eubank like some people did. He was still a bit of an unknown quantity to me in 1990.

By the time of Benn-Eubank 2 I was supporting Benn simply because Eubank had remained unbeaten with a string of stinkers and dodgy calls ever since the second Watson fight.
I never had a problem with Eubank's personality, but a lot of his fights in 1992 and 1993 were horrendous. I had a problem with that.
Legend X is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You're right i remember some shocking Eubank fights and some dubious decisions. It's been trotted out so many times it's boring but the 2nd Watson fight seemed to change him dramatically.
Benn on the other hand was rarely in a truly shit fight and you never knew what to expect. I was pretty much in awe of him, proper childhood hero.
Watson, what can you say he was an exceptional boxer and the Benn fight was a great performance. I was gutted when he lost to McCallum although i had found a new fighter to watch in the bodysnatcher, he beat the shit out of Watson but he never gave up and was always in it til he literally ****in dropped.

Eubank and Benn are always talked about together as a double act but in reality it was a trio .
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

It was the first boxing rivalry that I remember. I liked Benn because he was humble, loved the sport and in the second fight (I didn't see the first one) everyone seemed to think that he would lose so there was the underdog aspect.]

Today Michael Watson is my favourite British middleweight of that period. I love that straight-lined, textbook style he had and he combined skill with a terrific amount of energy. A true hero both inside and outside the ring.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Benn was a bigger favourite against Eubank than McClellan was against Benn or Eubank was against Collins.

I was a Benn fan from his days brawling with world-rated Rod Douglas on BBC Grandstand in '85 and '86. He had intense hand speed and put every last ounce of effort into each punch, just an angry, angry man and awesome natural athlete. Really raw material to work with but caught my imagination.

I watched Eubank sparring with Rod Douglas in mid-87 so I was one of the very few who knew of Eubank way before anyone else, although according to another world-rated amateur, John Beckles, Eubank had a big rep around the New York City gyms. First saw Eubank on TV on BBC Grandstand against a huge-looking guy at Wembley Arena, and I recall Michael Watson fought one of his American imports right after Eubanks fight. Chris was dropped into the ropes in this fight and I kind of writ him off - Watson looked five times the fighter Eubank was when he was next up.

But then, of course, there was that wonderful display of boxing against Anthony Logan from Eubank as chief support to Benn on ITV that changed everyones perception of his ability. He then put in a beautiful display of art against some Canadian import as top-of-the-bill on ITV and, by now, people were raving about him.

Benn was the one being written off after the Watson fight, and again after the Sanderline Williams fight. At that point Eubank would actually have been favoured.

Obv Benn did his DeWitt and Barkley thing, and Eubank was hurt from Kid Milo's body shots, and Benn was expected to break him to pieces or knock his block off... though the Dos Santos KO/pose certainly drummed it up and the contract signing on Midweek Sports Special was watched by millions.

I thought Benn would beat Eubank, and I was a bigger Benn fan.

But I then became a Eubank admirer.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

By the way, when Eubank was sparring with Rod Douglas in summer '87, all he had was a ripped vest to wear and dirty trousers - he stunk. Benn at that time was driving around London in a Porsche.

True.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

"In Benn I and Watson II, I was very raw and very new. I got better throughout my career - gradually staying out of range more and stepping in with jabs or body shots instead of leaping rights. I would bob and weave more, I would side-step more. I got more clever - I would flurry at the end of the rounds to catch the judges eyes, instead of just throwing a load of punches throughout the round.

"I believe I was at my best in 1994 - I had to be because I was fighting every seven weeks and still getting by world-class fighters with awkward attributes who were desperate for my title. My stretching routine was constantly being enhanced - I was attacking from slightly more advanced range, and I knew how not to waste any motion. I was the best I ever could be, in '94."

-CE
atberry is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

@ Atberry

Good posts man and a nice trip down memory lane.

I followed Benn from the start (my man Hagler retired and Benn was turning pro) he is one of my 3 favourite fighters so it goes without saying i like him better and wanted him to beat Eubank.

Eubank i always liked and other than his fights with Benn + Watson i was always behind him to win.

They're both growing old well and are always worth listening to and still come out with good quotes for us.

Eubank surprisingly now seems to have a greater knowledge of the sport's current state, you know after all Benn's jibes in the past about Chris not loving the boxing.
But i suppose it ain't that surprising when you know he has always studied boxing and fighting styles.

Love em both, great fighters and great characters. I think at least one of them should be on our tv screens talking boxing.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 03-08-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Benn all the way, was my favourite fighter as a kid.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict

vCash: 1185

I ****ing love Eubank. He may come across as a dick to some people, but it seems obvious to me that he just wants to be a good person. He was a character, and he got his just dues late on. Always been a hero. Eubank, Benn and Tyson are the first fighters I ever remember knowing about (due to my dad), and I love all three of them. Eubank stands out.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

I quite liked Benn, he wasn`t my fav fighter but I did like him.

I hated Eubank with a passion, more than any other fighter, I rooted against him every time he was in the ring.

These days... I still like Benn the same & I like, admire & have massive respect for Eubank now, he was a great boxer, a complete warrior with a great chin & heart.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

What took you so long, Atberry? You're slipping kiddo.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #27
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I was a Eubank fan, I liked the showmanship the swagger Eubank bought to every fight. I didn't hate Benn at the time, I just wasn't a fan. But then I saw Benn/McClellan and that made me a fan, he battled against the odds, it would have been a perfect victory if not for the tragic outcome. I appreciate Benn now just as much as Eubank.
Brighton bomber is online now  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I was a fan of Eubank at the time and he was the first fighter along with Muhammed Ali (before my time) that I was a fan of

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Benn was a bigger favourite against Eubank than McClellan was against Benn or Eubank was against Collins.

I was a Benn fan from his days brawling with world-rated Rod Douglas on BBC Grandstand in '85 and '86. He had intense hand speed and put every last ounce of effort into each punch, just an angry, angry man and awesome natural athlete. Really raw material to work with but caught my imagination.

I watched Eubank sparring with Rod Douglas in mid-87 so I was one of the very few who knew of Eubank way before anyone else, although according to another world-rated amateur, John Beckles, Eubank had a big rep around the New York City gyms. First saw Eubank on TV on BBC Grandstand against a huge-looking guy at Wembley Arena, and I recall Michael Watson fought one of his American imports right after Eubanks fight. Chris was dropped into the ropes in this fight and I kind of writ him off - Watson looked five times the fighter Eubank was when he was next up.

But then, of course, there was that wonderful display of boxing against Anthony Logan from Eubank as chief support to Benn on ITV that changed everyones perception of his ability. He then put in a beautiful display of art against some Canadian import as top-of-the-bill on ITV and, by now, people were raving about him.

Benn was the one being written off after the Watson fight, and again after the Sanderline Williams fight. At that point Eubank would actually have been favoured.

Obv Benn did his DeWitt and Barkley thing, and Eubank was hurt from Kid Milo's body shots, and Benn was expected to break him to pieces or knock his block off... though the Dos Santos KO/pose certainly drummed it up and the contract signing on Midweek Sports Special was watched by millions.

I thought Benn would beat Eubank, and I was a bigger Benn fan.

But I then became a Eubank admirer.
Quote:
By the way, when Eubank was sparring with Rod Douglas in summer '87, all he had was a ripped vest to wear and dirty trousers - he stunk. Benn at that time was driving around London in a Porsche.

True.
Quote:
"In Benn I and Watson II, I was very raw and very new. I got better throughout my career - gradually staying out of range more and stepping in with jabs or body shots instead of leaping rights. I would bob and weave more, I would side-step more. I got more clever - I would flurry at the end of the rounds to catch the judges eyes, instead of just throwing a load of punches throughout the round.

"I believe I was at my best in 1994 - I had to be because I was fighting every seven weeks and still getting by world-class fighters with awkward attributes who were desperate for my title. My stretching routine was constantly being enhanced - I was attacking from slightly more advanced range, and I knew how not to waste any motion. I was the best I ever could be, in '94."

-CE
Goto take my hat off to these posts. It's like an encyclopaedia of Eubank and always gives some extra insight, Atberry is a legend, 1 of my fave posters on here even though I disagree with him at times

But I wonder who he is, Mr Eubank himself? Someone else close to the action? Disrobe yourself atberry (no homo)
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #29
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Maybe atberry is Eubank !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #30
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I was a Benn man back then but now i'am a fan of both although i did'nt dislike eubank back then i just preffered Benn for his style but eubank was such a puffed up ****y ****er yer could'nt help but tip yer hat to him & his jump the ring rope entrance & that statuesque pose he would employ + the gob on him always made me laugh
duranimal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum