Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default all this b...shit about jeffries and dempsey being racist

i got a question..

lately i read a lot of threads about jeffries being racist (for example against johnson) and in the past there was a lot of discussion about dempsey refusing to fight black guys..

i think we look at it from the wrong point of view. if we call someone who is born in the 1800 a racist for not wanting to speak or hangaround with blacks then we are wrong.

in those days that was normal for a lot of people. we all are the product of our surroundings the way we are educated the way we are raised by our parents the morals and standards of our time.

would those guys have been born in for example 1970 or so they would fight against black opponents and act normal against them.

for example my grandfather (who was born in 1907) he didn't liked jews. i remember talking to him one time and i asked him why he didn't like jews. he couldn't give me a good reason. only that everybody didn't liked jews when he was young.

and before people start calling me racist or whatever. i have black friends and jewish family.
i just wanted to put things in perspective.
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: all this b...shit about jeffries and dempsey being racist

Obviously you're right.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Nobody said Dempsey was racist as far as I remember.....

Like Bodhi posted in another thread :

Quote:
"All my life I have believed that all men are basically brothers and that differences of color and religion are superficial. I hate prejudice. I hate discrimination. I hate intolerance." by JACK DEMPSEY
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior-soprano View Post
i got a question..

lately i read a lot of threads about jeffries being racist (for example against johnson) and in the past there was a lot of discussion about dempsey refusing to fight black guys..

i think we look at it from the wrong point of view. if we call someone who is born in the 1800 a racist for not wanting to speak or hangaround with blacks then we are wrong.

in those days that was normal for a lot of people. we all are the product of our surroundings the way we are educated the way we are raised by our parents the morals and standards of our time.

would those guys have been born in for example 1970 or so they would fight against black opponents and act normal against them.

for example my grandfather (who was born in 1907) he didn't liked jews. i remember talking to him one time and i asked him why he didn't like jews. he couldn't give me a good reason. only that everybody didn't liked jews when he was young.

and before people start calling me racist or whatever. i have black friends and jewish family.
So what you're saying is your Grandad was a Nazi Anti-Semite supporter of Holocaust and it's cool because his friends and family were also Nazi Anti-Semite supporters of the Holocaust. Cool story brah

Dempsey wasn't a racist, Jeffries was
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
So what you're saying is your Grandad was a Nazi Anti-Semite supporter of Holocaust and it's cool because his friends and family were also Nazi Anti-Semite supporters of the Holocaust. Cool story brah

did i ever said anything about supporter of holocaust ??? **** you, you mentally handicap person
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Itīs just an excuse.....

Itīs like when people say that the drug dealers from the brazilian favelas are just a product of their environment, because in those places is normal to be a criminal.....would those people born and raised in other places they probably wouldnīt be criminals........Fine, okay..But in the end of the day what is wrong is wrong..... doesnīt matter......There are still a LOT of people on the same environment that arenīt criminals, good and nice people, they know the differences between right and wrong.....why ?

Itīs a pretty similar example....

and Treat a person diferently because a different religion, skin color or culture is simply so foolish...like Jack Dempsey well said, so superficial.....

Whatīs wrong is wrong......Ketchel and Jack Johnson were good friends, a white and a black....and Iīm pretty sure many people in those days werenīt racists at all.....

And definitely Dempsey wasnīt a racist..thatīs for sure.....

Last edited by Vic-JofreBRASIL; 03-09-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post

Garrus is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
MURK20
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
i got a question..

Thanx yu fo edumakating us.
MURK20 is online now  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

It is obviously a hard topic.

I think that a person holding those atitudes in that period, is less disturbing than somebody holding thge same atitudes today.

My grandma was brought up to think that black men wanted to rape her, and were dangerous. This obviously had a bearing on her attitudes.

Whenever I brought home a black friend or girlfriend, she took a liking to them and fawned over them.

People are only as bad as their upbringing!
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
i got a question..

Junior, you hit the nail on the head. We are products of our times. Of course there are exceptions, but in general we follow what the mores of the times we live in. Some posters who condemn what our ancestors did
in less enlightened times, are not being realistic taking pot shots at
fighters who were taught what their fathers did culturally almost a century ago..They are elitists I believe..
P.S. Today Albert Einstein a giant of his time, would not be in the forefront of science today with the knowledge of HIS TIMES. Was he inferior ? No, but a product of HIS times...In life progress comes from generation to generation, and boxing is no different...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sanity is returning to the board at last - this thread has restored my faith in this place - three cheers for everyone involved
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

All you ****s that like to dump on a long dead name from the past like Dempsey..even Jeffries and make moral judgements about them being "racist" should apply the same treatment to modern day racists like Hopkins...and the lovable icon Muhammad Ali as well...among others. tar and feather them for their racist sentiments as well...or just shut the **** up about it.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

My grandma was brought up to think that black men wanted to rape her, and were dangerous. This obviously had a bearing on her attitudes.

Whenever I brought home a black friend or girlfriend, she took a liking to them and fawned over them!
Sounds like your grandma wanted a blk man to rape her
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

I'd like to point out that being of racist times does not automatically exempt anyone from actually being racist. Is it more understandable? Of course, but not wanting to associate with people of different ethnicities or anything like that is still racism, whenever and whereever you happened to exist.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Surf-Bat posted some things (in another thread) about Jeffries that make us think and perhaps itīs not right we judge him like that.....I donīt know......but if he truly was from the opinion that "the white man was superior" or that blacks shouldnīt have the same oportunities or something like that, then...well......he is at least like Hopkins as Red said.....or Mayweather, with his racists comments too...

Last edited by Vic-JofreBRASIL; 03-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum