Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 8,991
vCash: 1000
Default Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Let's juggle their most signifigant fights around a bit. Giving them to each other -



Bugner 1971 v James 'Bonecrusher' Smith 1984
Bugner 1973 v Tim Witherspoon 1986
Bugner 1973 v Mike Tyson 1989
Bugner 1975 v Lennox Lewis 1993
Bugner 1977 v Oliver McCall 1995


Bruno 1984 v Henry Cooper 1971
Bruno 1986 v Muhammad Ali 1973
Bruno 1989 v Joe Frazier 1973
Bruno 1993 v Muhammad Ali 1975
Bruno 1995 v Ron Lyle 1977
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

nice idea m8 i will answer later.

BUT you forgot Bruno VS Tyson 2 of 1996, it was a v.significant fight, especially here in teh UK where it was teh first ever Sky Sports PPV.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
davidjay
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 717
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Bugner v Bonecrusher. Oh dear Lord, no. Please not.

Bruno would beat Cooper, Bugner might beat Witherspoon. 1973 Bugner would definitely beat Oliver McCall.
davidjay is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 103
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Let's juggle their most signifigant fights around a bit. Giving them to each other -



Bugner 1971 v James 'Bonecrusher' Smith 1984 - Bonecrusher is too much for the neophyte, 21 year old Bugner. Bonecrusher by decision or late TKO. Bugner was just a baby at the time.

Bugner 1973 v Tim Witherspoon 1986 - This is one hell of a fight. If Spoon is in his best shape, he wins a decision. However, the Bugner that fought Frazier in '73 would have outpointed the Spoon who fought Bruno and Bonecrusher in '86.

Bugner 1973 v Mike Tyson 1989 -- Tyson by later round TKO or wide UD.

Bugner 1975 v Lennox Lewis 1993 -- Lewis wins a one sided decision, probably by shutout. Bugner plays defense every round just to survive.

Bugner 1977 v Oliver McCall 1995 -- Pick 'em. In his one outing in 1977, Bugner was not at his best (ring rust during Lyle fight). This one could easily go either way.


Bruno 1984 v Henry Cooper 1971 -- Bruno by crushing, early to mid round KO. Bruno just too big and too strong for chinny, cruiser Cooper.

Bruno 1986 v Muhammad Ali 1973 -- Ali by wide UD or late TKO.

Bruno 1989 v Joe Frazier 1973 -- Frazier by stoppage, probably in the mid to late rounds. Frazier gets hurt, though, and maybe has to come off the canvas.

Bruno 1993 v Muhammad Ali 1975 -- Ali by wide UD or late TKO. Ali was just too talented for Bruno.

Bruno 1995 v Ron Lyle 1977 -- This is one hell of a fight. Pick 'em.
See above for my picks.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 103
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

A good fight would have been the 1975 Bugner against the 1987 Bonecrusher. That one could have gone either way. It would definitely go the distance, with lots of clinching. Either Bugner's superior jab and boxing or Bonecrusher's superior power make the difference. Whatever happens, it goes the full route though.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
A good fight would have been the 1975 Bugner against the 1987 Bonecrusher. That one could have gone either way. It would definitely go the distance, with lots of clinching. Either Bugner's superior jab and boxing or Bonecrusher's superior power make the difference. Whatever happens, it goes the full route though.
I'm pretty sure Bugner wins that one. Bonecrusher never impressed me over the course of a full contest except when he cut Holmes, so I don't see how he's going to deal with Bugner, who- for all his faults- had a very sturdy jaw.

I agree with all of the rest of your picks. I also think that McCall-Bugner would be a much more exciting fight than McCall-Bruno, because Bugner would have to rely on skill & speed rather than strength & power and because Bugner wouldn't tie McCall up as he tired. The result would be a good boxer vs. puncher fight, with the winner being whoever could get it together mentally under the spotlight (which is why I give McCall such a good chance: crazy but sometimes willing is better than sane and rarely willing).
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Laughing Bruno
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wandsworth, London, UK
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

heh heh heh
Laughing Bruno is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Frank wins none (gets ko'd by everyone except possibly Henry) & Joe beats Smith, Spoon & McCall all on pts & goes route with Mike & Lennox is fairly close fights.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 9,177
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liechhardt View Post
Frank wins none (gets ko'd by everyone except possibly Henry) & Joe beats Smith, Spoon & McCall all on pts & goes route with Mike & Lennox is fairly close fights.


Spoon would tap that ass.

Oh & no way does Bugner take '89 Tyson & '93 Lewis to close decisions.

Against Lewis especially, Bugner is extremely unlikely to not get brutally stopped.

Lewis would overpower him in the clinches, then destroy him with vicious holding & hitting.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Let's juggle their most signifigant fights around a bit. Giving them to each other -



Bugner 1971 v James 'Bonecrusher' Smith 1984
Bugner 1973 v Tim Witherspoon 1986
Bugner 1973 v Mike Tyson 1989
Bugner 1975 v Lennox Lewis 1993
Bugner 1977 v Oliver McCall 1995
Probable results :
Bugner beats Smith on points.
Bugner outpoints the fat out-of-shape Witherspoon of 1986.
'89 Tyson beats Bugner on points.
Lewis outpoints Bugner.
Bugner outpoints McCall.



Quote:
Bruno 1984 v Henry Cooper 1971
Bruno 1986 v Muhammad Ali 1973
Bruno 1989 v Joe Frazier 1973
Bruno 1993 v Muhammad Ali 1975
Bruno 1995 v Ron Lyle 1977
Cooper outpoints Bruno.
Ali stops Bruno in the late rounds.
Frazier KOs Bruno in about 5 or 6 rounds.
Ali stops Bruno in the late rounds.
Bruno v Lyle is a 50-50 fight, doesn't go the distance. I'll give Bruno the win to be kind.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 8,991
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
nice idea m8 i will answer later.

BUT you forgot Bruno VS Tyson 2 of 1996, it was a v.significant fight, especially here in teh UK where it was teh first ever Sky Sports PPV.
With the Tyson of '96,a Bugner could cause a tremendous upset if he's still around by the late rounds. Most probably a UD for Tyson though.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 8,991
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
Probable results :
Bugner beats Smith on points.
Bugner outpoints the fat out-of-shape Witherspoon of 1986.
'89 Tyson beats Bugner on points.
Lewis outpoints Bugner.
Bugner outpoints McCall.





Cooper outpoints Bruno.
Ali stops Bruno in the late rounds.
Frazier KOs Bruno in about 5 or 6 rounds.
Ali stops Bruno in the late rounds.
Bruno v Lyle is a 50-50 fight, doesn't go the distance. I'll give Bruno the win to be kind.
Can't see Cooper beating Bruno. A style clash. Bruno would find Cooper easier than Bugner did. A prime for prime Cooper v Bugner would be a pick 'em scenario,but a prime Bugner would outlast Bruno,imo.

After building up an early lead against Lyle,Bruno gasses out and gets stopped by Ron late in the bout.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
With the Tyson of '96,a Bugner could cause a tremendous upset if he's still around by the late rounds. Most probably a UD for Tyson though.
Mmmmmmm a v.quirky idea - how about a topic???

Does "BugBear" Bugner have teh late Round stopping power Or does he Lean on Tinkerbell And shove his tired ass to teh canvas???
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Can't see Cooper beating Bruno. A style clash. Bruno would find Cooper easier than Bugner did. A prime for prime Cooper v Bugner would be a pick 'em scenario,but a prime Bugner would outlast Bruno,imo.
The experienced Cooper of 1971 would outpoint the inexperienced Bruno of 1984 in my opinion.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 103
Default Re: Bugner v Bruno - 'Time Wars'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post



Against Lewis especially, Bugner is extremely unlikely to not get brutally stopped.

Lewis would overpower him in the clinches, then destroy him with vicious holding & hitting.
I'm not so sure. The prime Bugner (1973 to 1977) was big, durable, strong, and very good defensively. If Tony Tucker and Zeljko Mavrovic could survive 12 rounds against Lewis, then Bugner could likely have done the same.

Remember, Bugner had good legs. He could dance around the ring, dodge punches, and throw just enough jabs to stay safe. Bugner certainly couldn't have beaten Lewis, but he could probably go the distance and lose by shut out.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013