hookfromhell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
dillinja

vCash:
Default Re: Wlad Klitchko V (Pre Manny Steward) Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Been mulling over this for a while before posting.

The ****y confident Lewis of the early 90's was a very good offensive machine and his athleticism was very impressive for a man of his size.

Against this version of Wlad, he would come out swinging.

Can Wlad keep him outside with his jab? not a chance, Lewis has been backed up a few times in his career, but the success never lasts long and people have to take punishment to keep him there (apart from rahman in the first who backed lewis against the ropes quite easily before belting him with that huge right). Can Wlad be the stronger man in the clinch? I doubt it, Lewis will get close and hurt him uppercuts, plus Lewis will have a speed advantage and his durability would outlast wlad imo.

Wlad's chance is catching Lewis with a huge right as Lewis is throwing (much like riddick did). Wlad would probably have to stiffen Lewis quite quickly with the jab and unleash the right bomb flush to win this fight. His 1-2 is very very quick, Lewis from then made enough mistakes that wlad could catch him with his chin in no man's land.

If Wlad lets Lewis dictate the pace, he'll get blown out of the water. He has to hit him hard and hurt him to win this. His hands are quick enough, and Lewis back then was risky enough for it to happen.

As for my prediction? Wlad will be overly cautious behind the jab, whilst that works wonders against smaller opponents (he can grab if they get close) it will allow Lewis an opportunity to get mid range and push his shit in.

I think in the HW division, pre-manny Lewis can lose to almost anyone because most big guys can bang and his chin won't hold up to a flush bomb. That being said, the bomb has to land for him to lose. Whilst I'd give almost anyone that punchers chance, it si just that, a punchers chance. Some will hit the jackpot, some won't. most of the time, they won't imo. Lewis was a great great boxer that can't be taken lightly. Whilst Wlad could bang him at any dont in the fight, I don't think he will.

I think Lewis pushes Wlad's shit in.
I think you are well wrong on the level of Lewis's chin, he took plenty of bombs and didn't go down.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillinja View Post
I think you are well wrong on the level of Lewis's chin, he took plenty of bombs and didn't go down.
It isn't about how good I think his chin is. McCall ended proceedings with one punch.

It's about the likelihood of other heavyweights replicating oliver's success that night.

I think loads could. I do not think loads would.

It's heavyweight boxing at the top level, most top contenders could end a fight with one punch given the correct set of circumstances.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I'm probably one of the few who think that a pre-Manny Lewis was probably more difficult to beat than a post manny Lewis. he was quicker, and much more agressive. Yes, he had flaws, but so did the post Manny Lewis as illustrated by the Rahman fight. But the pre-Manny Lewis had more of a killer instinct than did the post Manny Lewis and was, in my opinion far more dangerous and entertaining. I think that version of Lewis would beat any version of Wad, easier than would be the post-Manny version. And since Wlad tends to be passive in the early rounds or when pressured, I think Lewis's flaws are something Wlad would be unlikely to capitalize on.
Vanboxingfan is online now  Top
Old 03-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Been mulling over this for a while before posting.

The ****y confident Lewis of the early 90's was a very good offensive machine and his athleticism was very impressive for a man of his size.

Against this version of Wlad, he would come out swinging.

Can Wlad keep him outside with his jab? not a chance, Lewis has been backed up a few times in his career, but the success never lasts long and people have to take punishment to keep him there (apart from rahman in the first who backed lewis against the ropes quite easily before belting him with that huge right). Can Wlad be the stronger man in the clinch? I doubt it, Lewis will get close and hurt him uppercuts, plus Lewis will have a speed advantage and his durability would outlast wlad imo.

Wlad's chance is catching Lewis with a huge right as Lewis is throwing (much like riddick did). Wlad would probably have to stiffen Lewis quite quickly with the jab and unleash the right bomb flush to win this fight. His 1-2 is very very quick, Lewis from then made enough mistakes that wlad could catch him with his chin in no man's land.

If Wlad lets Lewis dictate the pace, he'll get blown out of the water. He has to hit him hard and hurt him to win this. His hands are quick enough, and Lewis back then was risky enough for it to happen.

As for my prediction? Wlad will be overly cautious behind the jab, whilst that works wonders against smaller opponents (he can grab if they get close) it will allow Lewis an opportunity to get mid range and push his shit in.

I think in the HW division, pre-manny Lewis can lose to almost anyone because most big guys can bang and his chin won't hold up to a flush bomb. That being said, the bomb has to land for him to lose. Whilst I'd give almost anyone that punchers chance, it si just that, a punchers chance. Some will hit the jackpot, some won't. most of the time, they won't imo. Lewis was a great great boxer that can't be taken lightly. Whilst Wlad could bang him at any dont in the fight, I don't think he will.

I think Lewis pushes Wlad's shit in.

I would say the smaller and slower Bruno did a good job of everything you said can't be done against this version of Lewis untlil he quit boxing and stupidly bum rushed Lewis and ate that huge left hook. Wlad wouldn't make that mistake, he would stay composed and keep boxing smart until he knew Lewis was really ready to go.

Prior to the stupid bull rush that got him knocked out, Bruno was controlling the distance and knocking Lewis all over the place with jabs, left hooks, and right hands. The same weapons Wlad used. If Bruno can keep Lewis at range, surely Wlad can. Lewis is a only an effective pressure guy if he isn't intimidated by your power, he was intimidated by Brunos, and likewise would be by Wlad.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcLEU1_u0hs[/ame]

Last edited by The Mongoose; 03-11-2012 at 12:27 AM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
FilipMNE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 461

If we are talking about Wlad without Steward vs Lennox with Steward then its easy KO for Lennox, and if we talk prime vs prime lennox wins but not easy as against Wlad without Steward!
FilipMNE is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
I would say the smaller and slower Bruno did a good job of everything you said can't be done against this version of Lewis untlil he quit boxing and stupidly bum rushed Lewis and ate that huge left hook. Wlad wouldn't make that mistake, he would stay composed and keep boxing smart until he knew Lewis was really ready to go.

Prior to the stupid bull rush that got him knocked out, Bruno was controlling the distance and knocking Lewis all over the place with jabs, left hooks, and right hands. The same weapons Wlad used. If Bruno can keep Lewis at range, surely Wlad can. Lewis is a only an effective pressure guy if he isn't intimidated by your power, he was intimidated by Brunos, and likewise would be by Wlad.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Bruno is a lot tougher than Wlad.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #23
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I didn't say it can't be done. I actually said lewis got backed up a few times in his career but punches had to be taken and the success didn't last long.

I don't think wlad could take the punches required to actually box that version of lewis. He is quicker than bruno and can easily match his punch array but bruno could take shots up to a certain point.

The fight in particular was fairly even and bruno didn't control it. He had tremendous success at times and got over confident when he thought he had lewis cornered.

Whilst technically wlad could easily match bruno's success, he couldn't take the shots that bruno took.

Lewis would hurt wlad sooner than he hurt bruno. He would see wlad's reluctance to take shots and capitalise upon it. He'd have adapted sooner and got to wlad unless wlad stops him dead which I don't think he would.

What would be interesting is the pre manny version of each against each other. That would essentially be a shootout. First to land big wins.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Guyfawkes
Than who was phone?!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Lennox makes Voidtali's face look like a tenderized beef roast once again
Lewis TKO 6 AGAIN
Guyfawkes is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
Bruno is a lot tougher than Wlad.
No, he isn't.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Bruno was the heavyweight Quartey, that's his advantage over Wlad.
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:

I don't think wlad could take the punches required to actually box that version of lewis. He is quicker than bruno and can easily match his punch array but bruno could take shots up to a certain point.
I'm not trying to be an ass but frankly, what shots are you talking about? Lewis couldn't find Bruno with his right hand or left hook. Prior to Bruno's death charge, the only good punch Lewis was landing on the money was his jab though he premdominately was getting outboxed. Again something he would have more trouble doing against Wlad.

Here's the whole fight, please point out the "shots" Wlad isn't going to take?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlJnN5-vwA&feature=related[/ame]

Lewis gets in some jabs. Surely, those showy arm punches in the half assed clinch to clsoe Round 2 aren't what you are talking about?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaUFxGhBXJo[/ame]

Round 5: Perhaps the only right hand power shot you can count as a land for Lewis. From camera angle, really didn't look to land too good on the jaw, may have caught some shoulder. I don't see this punch making Wlad do the chicken dance.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKH_Ezoh58&feature=related[/ame]

Bruno's death charge approaches but still prior to meeting his fate Lewis is only getting that jab in with any accuracy. Lewis is missing so many right hands and left hooks and Bruno isn't even doing anything special but pushing his jab in the Lion's face and mixing in the occassional left hook or right hand. Your telling me Wlad couldn't do this sans the death charge?

There's some occassional body punches from Lewis, but so sporadic...not really much you can sell Bruno's superior durability on.

Come on, guys! REALLY?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Seriously,

Lewis is missing so many power shots in this you would think he's fighting..Chris Byrd. He just can't find Bruno with any big shots until Frank practically throws his chin into Lewis' glove after outboxing him for most of the match.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Bruno was the heavyweight Quartey, that's his advantage over Wlad.
Wlad is the Thomas Hearns Heavyweight.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #30
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
I see Lewis bombing Wlad out by just going crazy on him.
Thats how i see it m8, Lenny by BRUTAL KO1 or KO2.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum