Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Wlad Klitchko V (Pre Manny Steward) Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
I'm not trying to be an ass but frankly, what shots are you talking about? Lewis couldn't find Bruno with his right hand or left hook. Prior to Bruno's death charge, the only good punch Lewis was landing on the money was his jab though he premdominately was getting outboxed. Again something he would have more trouble doing against Wlad.

Here's the whole fight, please point out the "shots" Wlad isn't going to take?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Lewis gets in some jabs. Surely, those showy arm punches in the half assed clinch to clsoe Round 2 aren't what you are talking about?

Round 5: Perhaps the only right hand power shot you can count as a land for Lewis. From camera angle, really didn't look to land too good on the jaw, may have caught some shoulder. I don't see this punch making Wlad do the chicken dance.

Bruno's death charge approaches but still prior to meeting his fate Lewis is only getting that jab in with any accuracy. Lewis is missing so many right hands and left hooks and Bruno isn't even doing anything special but pushing his jab in the Lion's face and mixing in the occassional left hook or right hand. Your telling me Wlad couldn't do this sans the death charge?

There's some occassional body punches from Lewis, but so sporadic...not really much you can sell Bruno's superior durability on.

Come on, guys! REALLY?
I don't need to tell you which shots wlad couldn't take because you can see the fight for yourself and make your own mind up.

You might think wlad could handle it, I don't. That's the nature of a subjective sport like boxing.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Lewis beats any version of Wlad, any.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #33
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I don't need to tell you which shots wlad couldn't take because you can see the fight for yourself and make your own mind up.

You might think wlad could handle it, I don't. That's the nature of a subjective sport like boxing.
Luf, its not about being subjective.

I'm telling you LEWIS DID NOT LAND ANYTHING to be subjective about.

Unless your under the impression Wlad is going to get knocked out by a few Lewis jabs. That is rather subjective and odd opinion.

If Luf isn't up to the task, can somebody point me to these invisible power right hands and left hooks that Bruno stood up to?
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #34
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Luf, its not about being subjective.

I'm telling you LEWIS DID NOT LAND ANYTHING to be subjective about.

Unless your under the impression Wlad is going to get knocked out by a few Lewis jabs. That is rather subjective and odd opinion.

If Luf isn't up to the task, can somebody point me to these invisible power right hands and left hooks that Bruno stood up to?
In short, the sum of punches bruno took that night, would have ended wlad imo.

You have the fight there, just watch it.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #35
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
In short, the sum of punches bruno took that night, would have ended wlad imo.

You have the fight there, just watch it.
you tell that stubborn Mong.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #36
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
i can see Wlad outboxing lennox but getting caught late on

Lewis KO 10
Pre-Manny version of Vlad would have had his moments against Lewis, but ultimately, would have been destroyed. Lewis might have KO'd the young Vlad at any time from the first round until the last. Vlad definitely could not win this win.

The Manny-trained version of Vlad would do much better against Lewis, but would still lose. Possibly this fight goes the full 12 rounds, because each behemoth heavyweight would be so respectful of the other's power. Still, Lewis would have been too quick, fluid, and skilled to lose to even a peak Vlad.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #37
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

I didn't realise pre-Manny Lewis was only the Bruno fight!?!

How about the Ruddock or even the Tucker fight when Lewis was right hand happy. Tucker tooks some wallops that night that Wlad wouldn't of. Tucker had a great chin.

What about the Dereck Williams fight - that one was messy until Lewis ended it but it shows once again the mindset Lewis as when it comes to fighting men as tall, or taller than him.

Anyway Bruno boxed out of his skin that night and Lewis admitted he underestimated him. You could see Lewis started warming up in the 5th and not long after he had his breakthrough.

Taking into account the prime Wlad we're talking about is gonna have the reputation he has now, then Lewis isn't gonna come in underestimating him or come into the ring cold.

My thoughts are that any Lewis beats any Wlad. No matter if the fight was progressing in Wlad's favour you can guarantee Lewis will have his moments and Wlad wouldn't come through them. Thats the bottom line for me.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #38
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Interesting post. I think there's real logic behind this idea. No way does a risk free wlad beat Lewis however Lewis would be more vulnerable to someone that brings the fight to him (Vitali for example) However I don't know if he could take the shots Vitali did.
I think "risk-free" Wlad has to be the fav over young Lennox. Young Lennox was dangerous but not yet ready for someone as prime Wlad. Wlad would dictate the tempo, minimize scary moments, survive the few that occure and outbox Lewis to a quite clear decision. Lennox has a good shot but I canīt see him beeing the fav. Sorry, itīs not that would Wlad fold after the first punch Lewis lands. His chin ainīt that bad. He got blitzed ones by Sanders, true, but even there he got up more than ones before stopped. While the other two stoppage losses were a result of wrong training, bad pacing and punching himself out. All issues that are solved now.

Prime Lewis would beat prime Wlad though, simply because we know Lewis can fight while we never saw Wlad do it - which doesnīt mean he canīt though - Lewis would force Wlad to fight and knock him out in the midrounds. Probably while beeing behind on the cards. Wlad has a chance here with his right hand but no way he is the fav.

While I would favour prime Lewos over pre-prime wlad I give pre-prime Wlad a better chance over prime Lewis than the other way around. Because pre-prime Wlad was a more dangerous fighter than pre-prime Lewis offensivly but also quite a bit more vulnerable. Lewis would win but if Wlad comes out to set the world on fire I think he has a real shot. Would be a short fight either way though.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #39
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I am struugling to think of a pre Steward performance that makes me think Wlad could beat Lewis.

To beat that young Lewis you need to be tough, you need to be able to trade with him and you need to be able to land big when Lewis opens up.

I just dont see Wlad doing this, he isnt a tough guy, he might have the power to trade with Lewis but he dosent have the mindset or chin to do so and when Lewis opens up Wlad isnt going to be throwing big punches, he is going to be stepping back, stepping back from a fighter with faster feet and a longer reach.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #40
Jimbob
Contender
ESB Senior Member

When matching Wlad against ATG heavies people talk about his physical attributes yet often overlook one major flaw he has - his fighting mentality.

Wlad always looks so tentative and reluctant to engage in his fights, even against guys he has every concievable advantage over. I simply cannot imagine Wlad coping with the intensity Lewis would bring, especially when the physical tools he relies on so much and basis his style and game plan around, would be nullified.
Jimbob is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #41
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
When matching Wlad against ATG heavies people talk about his physical attributes yet often overlook one major flaw he has - his fighting mentality.

Wlad always looks so tentative and reluctant to engage in his fights, even against guys he has every concievable advantage over. I simply cannot imagine Wlad coping with the intensity Lewis would bring, especially when the physical tools he relies on so much and basis his style and game plan around, would be nullified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
I am struugling to think of a pre Steward performance that makes me think Wlad could beat Lewis.

To beat that young Lewis you need to be tough, you need to be able to trade with him and you need to be able to land big when Lewis opens up.

I just dont see Wlad doing this, he isnt a tough guy, he might have the power to trade with Lewis but he dosent have the mindset or chin to do so and when Lewis opens up Wlad isnt going to be throwing big punches, he is going to be stepping back, stepping back from a fighter with faster feet and a longer reach.

Two good posts which really come to the same conclusion.

Wlad as never shown us anything to suggest he would come through a fight like this. Quite the opposite infact.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #42
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Lewis was a bit more rugged in boxing style but very hard to figure out how a fight between the 2 would unfold. Lewis had the power to KO any version Vlad but Vlad also has the power to KO any version of Lewis. Vlad and was more aggressive before Lewis while Vlad became more defensive.....I think a fight between the 2 at any stage of their career's would be exciting but the present version of Vlad in his cautious mode is still a dangerous fighter to any version of Lewis. If I had to bet I would go with Lewis because he had a more relaxed style and has a better track record as of now but would not bet to much because Vlad can take you out with one punch and has proven late power
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #43
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post

Wlad is tough. See the beating he got in his losses to Purrity and Brewster. Nevertheless he got up again and again instead of just staying down for a way out. Even against Sanders he got up.
He is a lot tougher than people give him credit.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #44
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Lewis would look to jump on Wlad early and go for a KO, both he and Sanders said this was the best way to get Wlad and I see him doing that and scoring an early KO against Wlad. Wlad under threat and on the back foot taken out of his comfort zone isn't a comfortable Wlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Wlad is tough. See the beating he got in his losses to Purrity and Brewster. Nevertheless he got up again and again instead of just staying down for a way out. Even against Sanders he got up.
He is a lot tougher than people give him credit.
He took a beating against Purrity yes, Brewster? Not really. Sanders, he just didn't know what to do. Against McCline, very cautious, against. Wlad is going to try and box Lewis and Lewis is going to KO Wlad early
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #45
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Lewis would look to jump on Wlad early and go for a KO, both he and Sanders said this was the best way to get Wlad and I see him doing that and scoring an early KO against Wlad. Wlad under threat and on the back foot taken out of his comfort zone isn't a comfortable Wlad

He took a beating against Purrity yes, Brewster? Not really. Sanders, he just didn't know what to do. Against McCline, very cautious, against. Wlad is going to try and box Lewis and Lewis is going to KO Wlad early
Brewster, yeah, in the last round before the stoppage. Yeah, he didnīt know what to do against Sanders but he got up and took it until the ref stepped in. Iīm not saying he is like Marciano when it comes to toughness but he is also not that fragile ballerina some make out of him.

Of course current Wlad will try to box Lewis. But pre-prime (and Steward) Lewis IMO lacks the experience to deal with someone as Wlad, nevertheless heīd be very dangerous.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum