Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #46
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600
Default Re: Wlad Klitchko V (Pre Manny Steward) Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
I am struugling to think of a pre Steward performance that makes me think Wlad could beat Lewis.

To beat that young Lewis you need to be tough, you need to be able to trade with him and you need to be able to land big when Lewis opens up.

I just dont see Wlad doing this, he isnt a tough guy, he might have the power to trade with Lewis but he dosent have the mindset or chin to do so and when Lewis opens up Wlad isnt going to be throwing big punches, he is going to be stepping back, stepping back from a fighter with faster feet and a longer reach.
XPERT-post m8!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #47
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Wlad is tough. See the beating he got in his losses to Purrity and Brewster. Nevertheless he got up again and again instead of just staying down for a way out. Even against Sanders he got up.
He is a lot tougher than people give him credit.
He is brave in that he gets back up, he isnt tough in the way he can take punishment.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #48
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Lewis would look to jump on Wlad early and go for a KO, both he and Sanders said this was the best way to get Wlad and I see him doing that and scoring an early KO against Wlad. Wlad under threat and on the back foot taken out of his comfort zone isn't a comfortable Wlad

He took a beating against Purrity yes, Brewster? Not really. Sanders, he just didn't know what to do.Against McCline, very cautious, against. Wlad is going to try and box Lewis and Lewis is going to KO Wlad early
probably why we never saw a rematch. I'd predict the same result most times unless wlad were to catch Sanders 1st
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #49
freelaw
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Funny, I always said this fight would be decided by who has Manny in their corner.

That given, the matured Steward coached Wlad cautiously outboxes say...the raw Lewis of the Bruno fight. Wlad showed great composure and late fight stamina when Haye hurt him. He'll bear hug when he needs to, reset, and keep boxing confidently. Bruno never got past that, he would have ran out of gas, blanked and suffered a heart breaking defeat if Haye buzzed him with that right cross.

On the other coin, flip flop this topic and Lewis is going to blast pre-Steward Wlad out...aka Sanders.
This.
freelaw is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #50
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Lewis would look to jump on Wlad early and go for a KO, both he and Sanders said this was the best way to get Wlad and I see him doing that and scoring an early KO against Wlad. Wlad under threat and on the back foot taken out of his comfort zone isn't a comfortable Wlad

He took a beating against Purrity yes, Brewster? Not really. Sanders, he just didn't know what to do. Against McCline, very cautious, against. Wlad is going to try and box Lewis and Lewis is going to KO Wlad early
Sanders didn't exactly jump on him early. He was being comfortably outboxed before landing a huge counter shot.

At that point he jumped on him.

Could lewis land an overhand right as easy as sanders landed his counter left?

Either way I think the point is that wlad couldn't come through a fight with lewis. He might spark him but he won't win a war.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #51
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
In short, the sum of punches bruno took that night, would have ended wlad imo.

You have the fight there, just watch it.
I have watched the fight with a careful eye and asking others to do the same.

The sum of the punishment prior to the stoppage was some sporadic jabs that opened up Bruno's eye. The jab was the only thing keeping Lewis in the fight, he was being made to look quite foolish.

I can't agree that would end Wlad's night. Sorry. Your a smarter poster than this, I can't see why you would come to that conclusion unless you have a blurry memory of the fight. Dude, Lewis was struggling to land any power shots prior to the left hook that sent Bruno into "deer in the headlights" mode. Lewis landed nothing of note but a few well placed jabs until the final barrage.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 03-12-2012 at 04:37 PM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #52
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
I didn't realise pre-Manny Lewis was only the Bruno fight!?!

How about the Ruddock or even the Tucker fight when Lewis was right hand happy. Tucker tooks some wallops that night that Wlad wouldn't of. Tucker had a great chin.

Anyway Bruno boxed out of his skin that night and Lewis admitted he underestimated him. You could see Lewis started warming up in the 5th and not long after he had his breakthrough.
Bruno is the fairest analogy to Wlad.

He was right hand happy against Bruno too...and he was being made to look like a clown as a result. He should have been jabbing more as that was the only thing he could find Bruno with..but this pre-Manny Lewis who just wasn't the sharpest tool.

Ruddock was a blow out against a guy who didn't jab or keep his hands up while trying long loopy bombs. Do you feel this describes Wlad?

Nah, it was typical Bruno. He boxed very well but gassed, made a mistake, got hurt and didn't know how to clinch or regroup. Not much to it than that. This is what Lewis would do to pre-Manny Wlad.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 03-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #53
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
To beat that young Lewis you need to be tough, you need to be able to trade with him and you need to be able to land big when Lewis opens up.
Bruno could have comfortably beat Lewis behind his jab if he didn't rush in to trade with him on the inside for no reason. It was an unforced error of judgement..typical of Bruno.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #54
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Lewis was far more aggressive and reckless pre Steward. I can see Wlad flattening him but the most likely outcome would be Lewis stopping Wlad fairly early.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #55
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lewis very early, probably inside the first round.

He was aggressive but not reckless, and despite being flattened by McCall his chin generally stood up to whatever was thrown at him in those early days.

Lennox just wouldn't let Wlad settle, which is crucial to him being able to impose his will on the opponent as the fight progresses.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #56
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Radebe was a legend
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #57
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Bruno could have comfortably beat Lewis behind his jab if he didn't rush in to trade with him on the inside for no reason. It was an unforced error of judgement..typical of Bruno.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #58
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I've always been respectful of you and would never respond to you with an emoticon.

Do you care to explain what you find "so sad" about that comment?

Was Bruno not outboxing Lewis behind his jab for most of the fight?

Did Bruno not stupidly rush in, going wild, and eat a left hook?

Is this not the typical Frank Bruno pattern of outboxing his opponent before screwing up big in some way?

Last edited by The Mongoose; 03-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #59
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

luf,

you better come back with more than a .

I would love to hear your actual analysis of Bruno/Lewis. I agree with the judge who had Bruno up by 4 rounds. The judges who had it a draw I disagree with though I can see a case for Lewis edging a few but only because he had a stronger jab when he could be bothered to throw it but he wasn't throwing it enough. Instead the Lion predominately ate jabs and right hands while missing telegraphed power punches. If Bruno didn't pull a Bruno, he should have had the upset.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 03-13-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #60
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
luf,

you better come back with more than a .

I would love to hear your actual analysis of Bruno/Lewis.
You won't find a bigger bruno fan than me. The guy is the reason I watch boxing.

One of my heroes.

But no way in earth was he comfortably outboxing lewis behind the jab, let alone did he show enough to show he'd have comfortably outboxed lewis for the rest of the fight.

I sometimes joke and say bruno would be the goat if fights were limited to 8 rounds and i'd probably let him push my shit in if the opportunity came up (no homo)

There's just no way you can say he was nor would have comfortably outboxed lewis.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum