Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Jeffries Describes His Ko Of Fitz On Re-enactment Film

Jim Jeffries voice talks us through the ko of Fitz,whilst actors ,go through the motions . There was a re-enactment filmed with the original participants,[Jeff & Fitz ,]but it has not surfaced for years.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by mcvey; 03-12-2012 at 05:53 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Jeffries Describes His Ko Of Fitz On Re-enactment Film

Racist!
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Racist!
Does that count as a black mark?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The film is incorrectly projected or transferred, causing both to appear as southpaws. Like a righty shadow boxing in front of a mirror causing him to appear southpaw. Regardless, that isn't Jeff or Bob. Just actors. An attempt was made to film the actual fight but failed. This was an attempt to fake the films of the first fight. This is an excerpt from In the Ring With James J. Jeffries:

They were also to split in equal shares the receipts accruing from the motion picture exhibitions. Unfortunately, although attempts were made to film the indoor fight, and at first, the films were reported to have been successfully taken, for whatever reason, the films did not turn out and were useless. The fighters lamented the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential profits.
However, promoters released fake films of the fight as being the actual films, and profited from them. Really, two actors put on a show, but most of the viewing public did not realize that the two were not Bob and Jeff. “Nobody who saw the actual fight could be misled or easily fooled by the fake exhibition, but unfortunately there are thousands of people who did not see the actual fight.” This writer attended an exhibition of the fake pictures, and said, “Not an incident of the genuine fight was correctly reproduced.”[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] National Police Gazette, August 5, 1899.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Corbett was the first to prophesize that something might be wrong with the lighting and filming process. “I wonder what’s the matter with the photographing machine. Half the lights are out; still the ring is just as brightly lighted as if it was daylight.”
apollack is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack View Post
The film is incorrectly projected or transferred, causing both to appear as southpaws. Like a righty shadow boxing in front of a mirror causing him to appear southpaw. Regardless, that isn't Jeff or Bob. Just actors. An attempt was made to film the actual fight but failed. This was an attempt to fake the films of the first fight. This is an excerpt from In the Ring With James J. Jeffries:

They were also to split in equal shares the receipts accruing from the motion picture exhibitions. Unfortunately, although attempts were made to film the indoor fight, and at first, the films were reported to have been successfully taken, for whatever reason, the films did not turn out and were useless. The fighters lamented the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential profits.
However, promoters released fake films of the fight as being the actual films, and profited from them. Really, two actors put on a show, but most of the viewing public did not realize that the two were not Bob and Jeff. “Nobody who saw the actual fight could be misled or easily fooled by the fake exhibition, but unfortunately there are thousands of people who did not see the actual fight.” This writer attended an exhibition of the fake pictures, and said, “Not an incident of the genuine fight was correctly reproduced.”[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] National Police Gazette, August 5, 1899.
I've read that Jeffries v Ruhlin was also re-enacted by the principals.
I stated in my first post that it was not Jeff & Fitz.
I have seen another re-enactment with Fitz throwing his gloves into the crowd at the end, poor quality , but they looked to be the original "cast". I think it was posted on this site , but it might have been You Tube.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
There was a considerable amount of the old fights filmed actual combat/re-enactments.How much survives is a matter of conjecture.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The Jeffries-Ruhlin championship fight was successfully filmed. Excerpts from In the Ring With James J. Jeffries:

Before consenting to allowing the bout to be filmed, Delaney and Jeff required assurances that the apparatus used would not create the same oppressive and intense heat as had been the case for the Sharkey fight. Delaney was promised that a different system would be employed, one which used half the number of lights. Furthermore, the lights would be higher up, with holes cut in the reflectors to allow the heat to escape and rise to the ceiling. As a result of these assurances, the fight would be filmed.

In late December, the Edison Company advertised the Jeffries-Ruhlin fight films. Jeff’s training took up 380 feet of film, and Ruhlin’s training 280 feet. The fight required 1,100 feet. A proprietor could purchase a copy of the films for $275.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
The Jeffries-Ruhlin championship fight was successfully filmed. Excerpts from In the Ring With James J. Jeffries:

Before consenting to allowing the bout to be filmed, Delaney and Jeff required assurances that the apparatus used would not create the same oppressive and intense heat as had been the case for the Sharkey fight. Delaney was promised that a different system would be employed, one which used half the number of lights. Furthermore, the lights would be higher up, with holes cut in the reflectors to allow the heat to escape and rise to the ceiling. As a result of these assurances, the fight would be filmed.

In late December, the Edison Company advertised the Jeffries-Ruhlin fight films. Jeff’s training took up 380 feet of film, and Ruhlin’s training 280 feet. The fight required 1,100 feet. A proprietor could purchase a copy of the films for $275.

Thanks for the valuable info.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

Correct, and all 5 rounds of Jeffries vs. Ruhlin exist. The Jeffries vs. Fitz posted here is done with actors, not the original fighters.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Correct, and all 5 rounds of Jeffries vs. Ruhlin exist. The Jeffries vs. Fitz posted here is done with actors, not the original fighters.
1. Referring to the first Ruhlin fight. I've seen the second many times.
2.The film posted here was a re-enactment of the Jeffries /Fitz fight with actors ,as I clearly stated in the very first sentence.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I know all five rounds were filmed and projected back then, but I have yet to find anyone with all five rounds preserved today. I have only seen one round of that fight. If you know someone with the complete fight, please let me know.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I know all five rounds were filmed and projected back then, but I have yet to find anyone with all five rounds preserved today. I have only seen one round of that fight. If you know someone with the complete fight, please let me know.
Mendoza says all 5 rounds exist,and he is never wrong.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum