Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Dempsey vs Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyShimmy View Post
Great fight where I favour Dempsey, and not just because I believe in the early route.

Most see this as Dempsey early or Louis late, but Dempsey ain't gonna miraculously gas if he does take the lead to start with. That boy had resolve! Body punches, inside game; this could be an incredible battle for a number of rounds.

I just think Dempsey was a bit tougher. His style would give Louis a kind of fight he would find uncomfortable and his talent would turn those problems into disaster.
I agree JS. My favorite HW of alltime is Joe Louis. But as boxing is about styles, i along with most of the boxing fraternity who saw them both at their peaks pick Dempsey .We are talking about their primes now. In this fight Dempsey and Louis's braintrust would devise a strategy plan for their charges. Dempsey when at his peak would move around [he could scoot]
bobbing and weaving ,chin tucked in his shoulder, circling for the opportunity to shoot in close where his strength and short left hooks and
early violent attack would hurt Joe Louis, and when Dempsey hurt you , he usually finished the job. Louis was more methodical, and his great left jab
would I believe be nullified by Dempsey's Arturo Godoy bobbing and weaving defense..So I think along with the majority of boxing people who saw them at their bests, {before Tunney, Charles ], pick the faster and more agile Dempsey by a ko. So did Max Schmeling, for what it's worth.
Of course Joe Louis with his devastating combos could hit and hurt the more rugged and rougher Manassa Mauler...Joe was that GOOD...My two favorite HWs alltime..
P.S. This to me is the greatest fantasy fight of alltime...Two lithe and devastating punchers....
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

A great ppv...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyShimmy View Post
Great fight where I favour Dempsey, and not just because I believe in the early route.

Most see this as Dempsey early or Louis late, but Dempsey ain't gonna miraculously gas if he does take the lead to start with. That boy had resolve! Body punches, inside game; this could be an incredible battle for a number of rounds.

I just think Dempsey was a bit tougher. His style would give Louis a kind of fight he would find uncomfortable and his talent would turn those problems into disaster.
I agree, JimmyShimmy, it's not a foregone conclusion that, in a longer fight, it would be Louis wearing Jack out; it might go the other way. It's also within the realm of possibilities that Louis gets of first and ends it early.
guilalah is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum