Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: 1973 Bugner VS 1996 Tyson - 12 Rounder
Bugner KO or TKO 0 0%
Bugner decision 3 12.50%
Tyson KO or TKO 12 50.00%
Tyson decision 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default 1973 Joe "BugBear" Bugner VS 1996 Mike "Tinkerbell" Tyson

Inspired by a quote by my m8 Stevie G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
With the Tyson of '96,a Bugner could cause a tremendous upset if he's still around by the late rounds. Most probably a UD for Tyson though.
1973 Joe "BugBear" Bugner who went teh full championship 12 Rounds with GOAT Ali VS 1996 Mike "Tinkerbell" Tyson who destroyed Frank "Beefcake" Bruno in 3 Rounds, But got BATTERED to a halt by Holyfield in 11 Rounds.

A WAR or a SNORE???

1973 Bugner, 6'4, 219LBS, 82inch reach

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

VS


1996 Tyson, 5'10, 222LBS, 71inch reach

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!

Last edited by Foreman Hook; 03-12-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Tin Man Waldo
Freakishly Fragile
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 363
vCash: 75
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Tyson KO's Joe Bugner in aprox 3 rounds. Bugner is not better than Bruno.
Tin Man Waldo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 4120
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Stevie G is n Xpert poster
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In Vitalis cut.
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 75
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

I think Bugner would make it to the mid rounds, i dont see him Koing Tyson but i also think its worth pointing out he wasnt stopped until 9 years after the version your asking about. I think he would soak up some big shots and Tyson would start to land big more and more up untill the mid rounds when the ref stops it.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
I think Bugner would make it to the mid rounds, i dont see him Koing Tyson but i also think its worth pointing out he wasnt stopped until 9 years after the version your asking about. I think he would soak up some big shots and Tyson would start to land big more and more up untill the mid rounds when the ref stops it.
Thanks for posting Don m8.

Your post is XPERT - But IMO it has a 30% percent chance of happening (Tyson by mid-Round KO) i then give a 65% chance to Bugner to last teh distance And lose a close Decision in a messy scrap with shitloads of hugging And leaning from teh BIGGER-MAN Bugner. by close i do mean Bugner should "grab" 4 or 5 Rounds out of 12. And a remainder 5% for a Bugner SD/MD if it gets super-duper ugly And he is allowed to hug Midget Lisp like 200+ times in teh 12 Rounder. Does Bugner have a Iron-Cheen?? i do not think we can really answer that question properly, cos his cheen was really only tested when he was SHOT. Maybe if teh ref had warned him from hugging Smokey Joe too much, we would of had a better idea of his chin toughness??


Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,220
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Stevie G is n Xpert poster
I agree.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 103
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Thanks for posting Don m8.

Your post is XPERT - But IMO it has a 30% percent chance of happening (Tyson by mid-Round KO) i then give a 65% chance to Bugner to last teh distance And lose a close Decision in a messy scrap with shitloads of hugging And leaning from teh BIGGER-MAN Bugner. by close i do mean Bugner should "grab" 4 or 5 Rounds out of 12. And a remainder 5% for a Bugner SD/MD if it gets super-duper ugly And he is allowed to hug Midget Lisp like 200+ times in teh 12 Rounder. Does Bugner have a Iron-Cheen?? i do not think we can really answer that question properly, cos his cheen was really only tested when he was SHOT. Maybe if teh ref had warned him from hugging Smokey Joe too much, we would of had a better idea of his chin toughness??


Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!
I agree with some of what you say, and disagree with other stuff.

First, in this fight, Tyson definitely wins. The only question is whether the tough Bugner goes the distance. I say that more likely than not, Bugner lasts the full route. Probably 75% of Bugner losing a wide UD, and a 25% chance of Bugner getting stopped late.

I disagree that Bugner's chin wasn't tested until he was over-the-hill. Bugner proved his chin earlier by withstanding huge bombs from Joe Frazier, Ron Lyle, and Mac Foster. Bugner also proved his chin in training camp, sparring with Sonny Liston and Cleveland Williams. This is well known, and generally not questioned by anyone in boxing.

Even later, when Bugner was over the hill, he proved his chin in his 2nd round TKO loss (by cuts) to Earnie Shavers. Watch the film on youtube: it's amazing how Bugner withstands Shavers's bombs. If not for the cut, this bout would have turned out to be very competitive.

I don't know what to say about the Bruno TKO loss. It was flukey, I think. Bugner was out of shape, and fighting a good losing effort (strictly defensive) when he got caught by a single huge right hand, which rendered him dazed and not fully able to defend afterwards. I think we can dismiss this one fight in terms of what it says about Bugner's durability.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 9,177
vCash: 1200
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
I think Bugner would make it to the mid rounds, i dont see him Koing Tyson but i also think its worth pointing out he wasnt stopped until 9 years after the version your asking about. I think he would soak up some big shots and Tyson would start to land big more and more up untill the mid rounds when the ref stops it.
Nice post.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 4120
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
I agree with some of what you say, and disagree with other stuff.

First, in this fight, Tyson definitely wins. The only question is whether the tough Bugner goes the distance. I say that more likely than not, Bugner lasts the full route. Probably 75% of Bugner losing a wide UD, and a 25% chance of Bugner getting stopped late.

I disagree that Bugner's chin wasn't tested until he was over-the-hill. Bugner proved his chin earlier by withstanding huge bombs from Joe Frazier, Ron Lyle, and Mac Foster. Bugner also proved his chin in training camp, sparring with Sonny Liston and Cleveland Williams. This is well known, and generally not questioned by anyone in boxing.

Even later, when Bugner was over the hill, he proved his chin in his 2nd round TKO loss (by cuts) to Earnie Shavers. Watch the film on youtube: it's amazing how Bugner withstands Shavers's bombs. If not for the cut, this bout would have turned out to be very competitive.

I don't know what to say about the Bruno TKO loss. It was flukey, I think. Bugner was out of shape, and fighting a good losing effort (strictly defensive) when he got caught by a single huge right hand, which rendered him dazed and not fully able to defend afterwards. I think we can dismiss this one fight in terms of what it says about Bugner's durability.
D stoppage due 2 cuts vs Shavers saved (his) face but not much from d cuts . By d time Bugner reached d age he could spar Cleveland Williams , Williams was more than half dead , and never good 2 begin with .
By d time Bugner reached d age he could spar Liston , Liston was almost a decade removed from his "prime" , Lyle was 9 yrs older than Bruno , Liston was at least 18 yrs older and Williams 17 yrs older in addition 2 all of d above . Lyle was 36 2 Bugner's 27 when Lyle outpointed him , Shavers was 37 2 Bugner's 32 when he stopped him , and not really due 2 cuts , Shavers was killing him and chasing n unstable wobbly panicked Bugner around d ring , Bugner was KOd by a 1-3 man at age 17 , Bugner was a rich man's Collin Wilson .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,779
vCash: 500
Default Re: 1973 Joe "BugBear" Bugner VS 1996 Mike "Tinkerbell" Tyson

I'm thinking Bugner survives a few scares early on, but is unable to mount enough offense to really worry Tyson and Bugner gets taken out in the mid to late rounds
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 103
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
D stoppage due 2 cuts vs Shavers saved (his) face but not much from d cuts . By d time Bugner reached d age he could spar Cleveland Williams , Williams was more than half dead , and never good 2 begin with .
By d time Bugner reached d age he could spar Liston , Liston was almost a decade removed from his "prime" , Lyle was 9 yrs older than Bruno , Liston was at least 18 yrs older and Williams 17 yrs older in addition 2 all of d above . Lyle was 36 2 Bugner's 27 when Lyle outpointed him , Shavers was 37 2 Bugner's 32 when he stopped him , and not really due 2 cuts , Shavers was killing him and chasing n unstable wobbly panicked Bugner around d ring , Bugner was KOd by a 1-3 man at age 17 , Bugner was a rich man's Collin Wilson .
Nothing you say here sheds any light on Bugner's ability to absorb a punch, which is the issue at point. Also, Bugner was not wobbly and panicked against Shavers. He absorbed the punishment well, although he was losing.

Bugner could take a punch: nobody argues that fact.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 4120
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Nothing you say here sheds any light on Bugner's ability to absorb a punch, which is the issue at point. Also, Bugner was not wobbly and panicked against Shavers. He absorbed the punishment well, although he was losing.

Bugner could take a punch: nobody argues that fact.
so well that he went down and ran 4 his life until d ring doctor saved face .

My post u quoted sheds lots of light on Bugner's untestedness .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 103
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
so well that he went down and ran 4 his life until d ring doctor saved face .

My post u quoted sheds lots of light on Bugner's untestedness .
You definitely DO NOT know your boxing. Your suggestion that Bugner's opponents were not powerpunchers because of their relatively advanced age proves my point.
kenmore is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 4120
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
You definitely DO NOT know your boxing. Your suggestion that Bugner's opponents were not powerpunchers because of their relatively advanced age proves my point.
right
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #15
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,220
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1973 Joe Bugner VS 1996 Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Nothing you say here sheds any light on Bugner's ability to absorb a punch, which is the issue at point. Also, Bugner was not wobbly and panicked against Shavers. He absorbed the punishment well, although he was losing.

Bugner could take a punch: nobody argues that fact.
He certainly could take a punch. Getting off the canvas after taking that left hook from Frazier and finishing strongly is proof enough.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013