Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #31
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600
Default Re: Liston vs Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
The early Liston was a better conditioned fighter, more skill and stamina but Foreman had the better power....
Prime (but green) Foreman showing mint stamina with late stoppage wins -

Peralta 2

Scrap Iron Johnson

Prime (but green) Foreman showing v.good stamina with 10 Round Decision -

BORKED

Quote:
Hard to say if we go by the Foreman-Lyle fight and I think Liston hit harder than Lyle...depends a lot on intangibles
Ronny Lyle would of looked EQUALLY DEVASTATING VS tiny little glassy types who belonged @lightheavy.

Or Wet Toilet Paper chinned journeymen types who never beat a ranked heavyweight opponent in their life.

ANYWAY and I think Foreman hit a shitload harder than Ex-Middleweight Martin.

BORKED

BORKED

Knocked cold as a corpse by a FORMER MIDDLEWEIGHT with a 50% KO record.

Liston was in good muscular shape as you can see in teh film-footage And he was only 37 years old.

NOW compare to Old Foreman at age 42 taking flush combos on teh chin from a ATG-Heavyweight like a G.

BORKED

Foreman Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!

Last edited by Foreman Hook; 03-21-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #32
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Foreman was uncommonly good for an older fighter. We can all agree on that. He was one of a kind. He had some things in his older years that he didnt as a younger fighter...one being patience and the other being that he utilized his big jab more consistantly.

Big George also lived a clean life going into his second career...nobody ever accused Sonny of living a clean life for more than about 5 minutes.

Anyway prime for prime none of it matters. Its gonna be explosive and probably short.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #33
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauhund II View Post
Trying to be serious here............where is this Liston power ?
You need to do a lot more reading and studying. The power is there rest assured. There's but a bee's dick in it.

Quote:
He never ever fought anybody close to Foreman aka modern sized Hwt with some skill and lotsssss of power. What makes you think he would have that much of a impact ?
Lets look at the size of the combatants for starters.

Foreman is 6'3 1/2 with 82" of reach. Liston is 6' 1/2 with 84.
Foreman is 217 1/2 when he murdered Frazier. Liston sat at 215 for the Patterson rematch. There's really not much in it.

On the flip who did Foreman fight akin to Liston? Lyle might be a very poor man's Liston?

Quote:
The beansticks or lt heavies he actually fought don't count
Nor does your opinion of Liston going by this stupendous quote.

Quote:
and Cleveland Williams is a yourneyman AT BEST, Foreman would blow him out in one..
Entirely possible - i'm not trying to understate Foreman unlike yourself with Liston. The guys a munster.

Quote:
and if you think Patterson would have a prayer against George I would like to try the stuff you are smoking.
Where on earth did you get that from my post?!?!??!?!?! Gimmee even half a pound of what you're on

Quote:
Foreman also never ever quit blatantly with some BS shoulder excuse or even more BS , the Mafia excuse
Liston never made any mafia excuse, insiders did. If you can absolutely prove both of these didn't exist you're worth a fortune. Of course we know that not to be true.

Quote:
Sony was weak upstairs, when the going got rough against the only comparitvely sized fighter with talent he faced he cashed in his chips............and his upstairs weakness also ultimately caused his demise as a junkie....
I'm shaking my head so much it's near falling off.

Quote:
Sonny Liston is the most hystericely overrated fighter next to Caveman Jack Johnson on ESB, bar none.
Grammar is overrated too.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #34
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I'd pick Liston. I think he'd win on points. Neither man is guaranteed to be making much sense in a fifteen round fight, but I think Foreman is the more likely to lose on a fade than Liston, not least because he has poorer economy.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #35
clark
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Side comment: The Martin clip shows just how exciting Cosell was. The best.
clark is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #36
Guyfawkes
Than who was phone?!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Foreman would take him out in less than six rounds, I dont think Liston could deal with a harder hitter and stronger man than himself, he would fold and either quit or get ko'd
Guyfawkes is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #37
fightcollector

vCash: 500

I think Liston would have beat Foreman. Liston was an animal and too many people remember just the Ali fights.
fightcollector is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #38
KINGOFTHE1ROUND
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 337

Foreman would KO him inside of 3. I would bet the lives of my kids on that.
KINGOFTHE1ROUND is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #39
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #40
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFTHE1ROUND View Post
Foreman would KO him inside of 3. I would bet the lives of my kids on that.
I like your thinking m8, it makes proper good business sense.

Hook does not have kids - But i would bet my 1.5mill crib on Big G Foreman sparking Sonny Bitchston cold as a corpse!

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #41
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Foreman would have likely walked through him. Every little bit of trouble Williams gave Sonny would be magnified exponentially.

I don't see a boxer keeping a prime George off without movement or stellar defensive moves, and Liston did neither well. He'd land some jabs and some hard shots, but Foreman would throw back, hard and with abandon, and he was the stronger, tougher human being.

Foreman KO5.
Ah, great perspective coming from someone with the perspective of fighting inside the squared circle.

Mentality of fighting and of a fighter is the most undervalued aspect of boxing when it comes to the fans of those fighters. This is no more truer than in the case of Sonny Charles Liston.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #42
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Liston by knockout in 5 or less. It would be explosive. He rivals Foreman in strength and power. Sonny is the sharper puncher, better boxer, better chin, has better balance and definitley uses his jab to greater effect.

Is it relevant considering how much stronger Foreman seems to be mentally? I don't see how one can just say Liston had a better chin. Suzie Q claimed Mac Foster iced him in sparring. We saw him iced toward the end of his career. Foreman never came close to being iced toward the end of his career and he faced much bigger, stronger, harder-punching opposition (Holyfield, Morrison, Briggs) than 198lb Leotis Martin. Not to mention we've seen Liston hurt on film despite not actually being dropped in his prime. It's a tough statement to back. Liston wilts quicker either way.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #43
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Right, for those that harp on Foreman's stamina issues, it's objective to mention that Foreman fights at a much higher activity than Liston ever did. I'm sure their cardiovascular systems are quite comparable when you get to the science of their conditioning. If it ends up being a short fight, which most feel it should then I don't see that playing into effect too much. Unless Liston ices Foreman. If not, he will most likely have to meet at his pace and that could tire himself out a bit too.

For all the talks of Liston's technical ability, straighter punching, etc. He had unremarkable speed. Probably slower than Foreman, especially in bunches despite his superior technique. You hardly hear praise over his great counter-punching ability either. That's because it's hardly ever there, it doesn't exist. Liston had head-movement, but wasn't a explosive fighter. He's not a guy that makes you pay for your mistakes. He just rams that jab down your throat and then busts you up. Liston won't be pushing Foreman back. In this type of a fight, I'd expect the tougher, stronger, more willing fighter to win this kind of scrap up.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #44
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post

Is it relevant considering how much stronger Foreman seems to be mentally? I don't see how one can just say Liston had a better chin. Suzie Q claimed Mac Foster iced him in sparring. We saw him iced toward the end of his career. Foreman never came close to being iced toward the end of his career and he faced much bigger, stronger, harder-punching opposition (Holyfield, Morrison, Briggs) than 198lb Leotis Martin. Not to mention we've seen Liston hurt on film despite not actually being dropped in his prime. It's a tough statement to back. Liston wilts quicker either way.
XPERT-post.

Pete m8, did you know Leotis Martin was really a Natural-Middleweight with a pathetic sub-50% KO Percentage??
Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #45
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Ah, great perspective coming from someone with the perspective of fighting inside the squared circle.

Mentality of fighting and of a fighter is the most undervalued aspect of boxing when it comes to the fans of those fighters. This is no more truer than in the case of Sonny Charles Liston.
XPERT-point Pete.

Sonny Bitchston was harboring a serious Glass Heart, its irrefutable.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Foreman Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum